The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-28-2010, 02:58 AM

Default Eric Clapton show and Cotten music Nashville, TN - short review

Clapton Show
Just came back from Eric Clapton's show Nashville, TN so I thought I'd post short review while it's still fresh in my head.
Friend of mine and I drove down from Louisville with no tickets, hoping we can score better seats right before the show. Once we got there we've realized that thing was sold out so we ended up buying nosebleeds from scalpers. But It was lot cheaper than going trough those bloodsuckers at ticketmaster. We saved about $40 for two tickets for the same section by going trough scalpers. Reason is, scalper had to unload tickets at cheap price because show was about to start. I could've probably make him go even lower in price, but we were happy that we had tickets at all and lower price at that, so I didn't press further.

Roger Daltry played 45 min set as warm up act. He was great, even though I could see he's on the verge of loosing his voice. But his band was really excellent. Baba O'Reilly was of course encore.

Eric Clapton came on around 8:30 and was simply amazing. This was my first time seeing him, and man was just phenomenal. Every note had its place and was played with such a finesse and feeling that was unreal. Not a bad note the whole show. Clapton made me eat my words about him being the most overrated guitar player.

There was of course acoustic mini set in the middle of the show where Eric broke out his trusty Martin 000-28ec, introduced Vince Gill on a second acoustic guitar and played excellent version of Layla and Drifting Blues among some others. At the end he played Cocaine and Wonderful tonight. Even though I've heard WT million times, hearing it for the first time live, I've realized how sensitive and powerful that song is. Encore was Crossroads with Vince Gill again on a second guitar. I just wish they played White Room and Alberta, but his catalog is so vast that man must have gotten ulcers just by picking out songs for set-lists.
I was also totally floored by quality of his female background singers. Holy cow!!! Those gals have some pipes.
The whole thing was very well done at the level of professionalism I haven't seen in a while. I'm usually no fan of concerts in basketball arenas because of horrible acoustics. However, I don't know what but they did something right tonight. Sound was excellent and crystal clear from where I was watching. Eric's guitar was silky smooth and clear.

Cotten Music Store
We also went to Cotten music and tested some Goodalls. Store was not much to look at when you first walk in, but once we've seen back rooms filled to the brink with some expensive guitars and cases, we have realized that this is no ordinary store. We met Kim and Darcy. Nicest ladies I've met in a long time. Kim was almost like a guitar savant. Very knowledgeable and helpful.
We only had an hour to kill before the show, so we only tested Goodalls since that was the guitar I haven't played yet. Everything that I've heard about them was true. Lots of overtones, crystal clear sound with rich bass. I was very impressed. I've played GC cedar/Honduran, GC Jumbo engleman/maple, GC Engleman/EIR, but the one that took the cake was GC Jumbo Port Orford cedar/Myrtlewood. Man, that guitar sounded amazing, even with old strings on it. I didn't care much for the look of Myrtlewood. Very maple looking like, but sustain and overtones were out of this world. I've played Tommy Emmanuel's version of Mona Lisa on it, and guitar was just singing like crazy. I just couldn't put that thing down. Even with rusty elixirs on it!!! I was tempted to buy set of Elixirs and ask if I could put it on just to see what is going to sound like with new strings on it, but we just didn't have much time. Will definitely go back to Cotten music and spend some more time.

On the side note: Kim told me there was some guy named Cotten asking for a hat bearing Cotten music name. I immediately thought about our moderator Cotten, but I wasn't sure. I've asked Kim if he is member on AGF and she said that he might be. If he sees this thread maybe he'll respond.

This was a really good day
Old 02-28-2010, 03:31 AM

I've never seen Eric Clapton live and I hope I get to someday. I must say I'm a little surprised you ever considered him overrated. At any rate, don't you just love those kind of good days?
Old 02-28-2010, 06:02 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Kim at Cotten is the best! She heard I was going to be in town she came in on her day off to meet me! I have bought 3 guitars off of Kim. All great deals and transactions! She's a heck of a Photographer also!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
Kim at Cotten is the best! She heard I was going to be in town she came in on her day off to meet me! I have bought 3 guitars off of Kim. All great deals and transactions!
Glad to hear your transactions went well.
I hope they continue to do so for you.
I'd be curious to know of how this dealer would handle a poor transaction and make it right. I always felt that was the true test a good dealer.

Glad to read that Slowhand is still out there as well!
Old 02-28-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleString View Post
I've never seen Eric Clapton live and I hope I get to someday. I must say I'm a little surprised you ever considered him overrated. At any rate, don't you just love those kind of good days?
I noticed that older I get, I appreciate music from 60's and 70's lot more. Especially artists I thought were overrated like Clapton, The Beatles, Elvis, and even Eddie Van Halen.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:42 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Another thumbs up for Cotten Music.
You get to play Kim's legendary Walker L00?

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 02-28-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
Another thumbs up for Cotten Music.
You get to play Kim's legendary Walker L00?
Unfortunately no. I've only played Goodalls, but can't wait to return to that shop. That's the shop I would definitely buy Goodall from when I get the cash.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Nice! What did you think of that Engelmann/ EIN GC tonally? Reeeally beautiful guitar.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
Nice! What did you think of that Engelmann/ EIN GC tonally? Reeeally beautiful guitar.
That one had really old strings but man, it still sounded awesome. Again, lots of overtones and clarity. Very comfy to play except it was very sticky because of old strings. I think that one was one of the Goodalls older builds.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:12 PM

That musta' been "quite the treat" - EC & a trip to Cotten Music??? -- get outta' town!
Old 02-28-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post
That musta' been "quite the treat" - EC & a trip to Cotten Music??? -- get outta' town!
All I have to say: it was a VERY good day.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220volt View Post
All I have to say: it was a VERY good day.
Man, 220V, that sounds like you had an AMAZING day! I would love to see Clapton live and I would love to sit down with a bunch of Goodalls and see what they are like. I've never had a chance to do either one, and frankly, while I'm glad you had a great day, I'm more than a little envious.

Thanks for the great post!
- Glenn
Old 02-28-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Man, 220V, that sounds like you had an AMAZING day! I would love to see Clapton live and I would love to sit down with a bunch of Goodalls and see what they are like. I've never had a chance to do either one, and frankly, while I'm glad you had a great day, I'm more than a little envious.

Thanks for the great post!
- Glenn
Thanks Glenn. I'm pretty sure you will get a chance to see Clapton at least once more. He is not that old. I think he's 65. I think he might have two more tours in him.
It was actually very spontaneous. We decided to go just day before the show. Very unplanned. It turned out great.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220volt View Post
Thanks Glenn. I'm pretty sure you will get a chance to see Clapton at least once more. He is not that old. I think he's 65. I think he might have two more tours in him.
It was actually very spontaneous. We decided to go just day before the show. Very unplanned. It turned out great.
Yeah, but Clapton and Goodalls in one day??? How lucky can you get!?!? What a blast!

Regarding Clapton's age, no, 65 is not particulary old these days (unless you've abused yourself with drugs and alcohol)... I'm going to have to see if he is coming to Seattle or Portland. It might well be worth the trip.

How was the sound volume? Reasonable? Or painful?

Regards, Glenn

- Glenn
Old 02-28-2010, 06:33 PM

Cotton is an amazing place, isn't it. Kim, Darcy and Andrew are great folks. They've gotten some of my money. <g>

-Raf

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion