The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-14-2009, 09:58 AM

Default Recommendations: Small Mixer with Reverb

I'm looking to buy a powered speaker (probably a QSC K8 or K10) and am looking for a small (8 channel is enough) mixer that would match well to this speaker. I need the ability to add reverb on the mixer.

My budget is ~$400.

Suggestions?

Richard
Old 11-14-2009, 10:51 AM

Not sure if you mean 8 separate XLR inputs. If yes, the Yamaha MG166CX qualifies. Besides what you need, it throws in compression. (Not used it, so can't comment, but it's probably usable).

Alot of Allen & Heath advocates here but not in your price range for the amount of inputs you need. If you can get by with less, the ZED12FX would probably get some and is only a little beyond your budget.

Good luck

geokie8
Old 11-14-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokie8 View Post
the ZED12FX would probably get some and is only a little beyond your budget.
Thanks for the suggestion. There's a second hand one available in my area I'm going to see today.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Default +1 on A&H ZED FX-12

Aloha,

I second Geokie on that Allen & Heath ZED 12FX. It's the best mixer available for live for under $500, IMO (over even under $1500 for that matter!). It has a lot going for it.

Check it out here:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...RWXYB&ZYXSEM=0

For live gigging, the quality of the EQ is one of these most critical factors for sound and room (feedback) control. Most small mixers provide some kind of EQ - and most really are NOT VERY GOOD - especially the Behringers - YUCK!

The ZED 12FX offers that great accurate "British" EQ sound & control. It's the best small live mixer I've ever used for gigging (liked it better than even Soundcrafts!). It's worth the stretch on your budget!

Another small mixer that is compact and well below your price range is the Mackie Pro FX-8. I used its predecessor, the NOW DISCONTINUED DFX-6 for a few years and liked it. They've also improved the EQ on this new one and it could work well for you and your partner at this stage of your gigging career. Nice little box.

Check it out here:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...xer?sku=500316

Of course, if you changed your mind about the need for a mixer, the DTAR Solstice PREAMP would give you decent EQ and blending capability for dual sources. Very compact, and it's within your budget. Check it out here:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DTRSOLS...ID=94718459521

You and your partner could each get one as you progress to more gigs and further control your guitar signals on-stage (which could be a blessing if you're dealing with a "soundman" at a house mixer). The preamp will really help your guitar sound as you move into dual-source guitar live rigs for your acoustic guitars (much preferred than a single pickup). Think about doing that sooner rather than later if you haven't already.

Again, all the best in your searches and with your gigs. Too much fun startin' out!

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 11-14-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

I'm happy with and have gotten nice results from a Mackie DFX-6, which is well under your budget.
Brent
Old 11-14-2009, 04:55 PM

Thanks for your recommendations. I'm now the proud owner of a one year-old Allen and Heath ZED 12FX, which I picked up second hand under budget. With my Taylor 512 plugged in, listening to it on headphones (I don't own a speaker yet), it sounds fabulous.

Thanks
Richard
Old 11-14-2009, 06:38 PM

Wow, that's awesome. Good job.

geokie8
Old 11-15-2009, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

Default Way To Go RNantel

Aloha rnantel,

Man, you move fast! Congratulations on the Zed FX 12. The EQ on that mixer will really help you out in various venues - especially the brighter coffeehouses. Hey, you can even USB record to a computer using that ZED and its Cakewalk's SONAR.

Since you're on the move, What live vocal mics are you considering? Are you considering guitar mics too?

I need to take a page from your book, rnantel. Been researching recording signal chains for over two years and STILL haven't bought anything - Soon!

alohachris
Old 11-15-2009, 12:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Lucky dog!

You're putting together one of my dream set-ups.

td
Old 11-15-2009, 07:03 PM

Default A and H Zed12fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnantel View Post
Thanks for your recommendations. I'm now the proud owner of a one year-old Allen and Heath ZED 12FX, which I picked up second hand under budget. With my Taylor 512 plugged in, listening to it on headphones (I don't own a speaker yet), it sounds fabulous.

Thanks
Richard
Richard did you just plug in guitar to the Allen and HEath and then into your computer for the recording and listened via earphones?

If so I imagine you could add the mic channel to it also then edit it with Cakewalk Sonar which it provides
Old 11-15-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha rnantel,

Man, you move fast!

Since you're on the move, What live vocal mics are you considering? Are you considering guitar mics too?
Regarding moving fast, this was one of those "right place at the right time" moments. I keep reading great things about the Allen & Heath ZED 12 FX on this forum so I searched for it on my local Craigslist and Kijiji and found one just a few miles away. The seller was selling it because he has upgraded to a larger Allen & Heath mixer.

Aloha Chris, YES!!! I need mic recommendations. FYI, my singer and I play pretty mellow stuff (Norah Jones, Eva Cassidy, Celtic ballads, etc.) We will not be screaming into the mic ever. I need recommendations for good but affordable mics to play live in small venues and to record onto my computer using the new mixer.

Right now, I don't think I'll be mic-ing my guitar. The Taylor sounds fabulous through the soundboard using its built-in Expression system. With the delay and reverb on the board, I get a lovely Pat Metheny type acoustic sound, which I love.

You guys were right on the mark for the mixer. Bring on the microphone recommendations please!

Thanks
Richard
Old 11-15-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towzer View Post
Richard did you just plug in guitar to the Allen and HEath and then into your computer for the recording and listened via earphones?
I just plugged the guitar into channel one and the headphones into the appropriate monitor jack. The volume is low but I can hear it fine with headphones.

Off to order the QSC speaker. Yippee! By the end of this week, I'll likely have this all set up.

Richard
Old 11-15-2009, 08:27 PM

ok thks

I tried out the QSC K10 at the local shop last week
Just plugged in a 7 series Taylor they had and went straight into the speaker

YOu will be happy with it
Sounds excellent
Old 11-15-2009, 08:44 PM

For a live mic, it is hard to beat an EV N/D767, because it is extremely feedback resistant, is very clear, and it has low noise even when hand-held. It is pretty good for recording, too (I have two that I use to mic my Taylor GA4). Obviously, there are better mics on the market if money is no object, but for just above $100, I don't think you will find a better mic.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 11-16-2009, 05:04 AM

Shure Beta 87A
Very clear vocal production in a live enviroment and a condenser is supposed to be best for recording. Best of both worlds for decent price. Phantom power required.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification