The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-01-2017, 02:57 PM

Default Do you hate some kind of strings for your guitar? What do you like (1347 thread...;-)

I just found out there are strings which I really hate on my guitar:

D'Addario Nickel Bronze (12-53).

On my OM (Spruce, Honduran Rosewood) the sound seems not full in the bass, not even across the strings, are squeaky like hell and sound somehow tinny. I tried to keep them longer then 3 days in the hope they would change to the better, but I just could not stand the tone and took them off now! What a relief! The sound was so unenjoyable that it almost made me aggressive / angry...

I am experimenting with new strings at the moment -- each time a string change is in place. In general I do not seem to like any 80/20 strings. Also coated strings are not exactly what I am looking for. The D'Addario EXP I do not like at all, while the Elixier Nanoweb light sound pretty good. Not my favourite, but a solid choice and keep the tone for quite a good time. Although new they are too bright the first few days.

DR Sunbeam (12 again) sound really good to my ears (even had some kind of "magic", _but_ the intontation was off on several strings. So that's a no-go unfortunatelly.

So far I like the PB from Philippe Boisset best. They have _the_ tone I like. Although with the test set I tried the low E was dull / dead from the beginning - but I hope this was just bad luck, because the rest of the strings sounded great (I swapped the low E with another PB, because I had no second set).

Now EJ16 (PB) are nice sounding again. This is the first time I am trying them - curious to see how they will evolve and how long they will last. But I think they are a serious option to become "my strings" -- I also like of course that they are available for a good price.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:03 PM

I tend to be in love with the last set I bought. At the moment, I am having a capricious relationship with GHS. Really liking their nickel mandolin strings and their PB guitar strings. Just got another order that included some of their 85/15 Vintage Bronze so those are up next.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Hi, I've stopped checking out new makes sme years ago.

I tried the coated strings when they cae out but found them unsatisfying, and dull, and I don't "need" coatings as I don't have acid sweat etc.

I prefer D'addario products but found the EXPs felt sticky to me.

So my standard strings are Ej17s on my dreads (but I put Elixir anti-rust 12 &16 on b & e.
Ej17s as is on archtops, National Reso and my Roy Smeck style Jumbo.
All smaller guitars take Ej16s.

I don't usually care for bronze strings (80/20) - or the ghastly green they go, but Martin Bronze M190s work very well on my newly acquired Harmony 12 string.
I use Daddario EJ37s on my Martin 12.

When I can get them, I like Jim Dunlop PB strings on my mandolin and my Dobro - they seem to be slightly higher tension but it may be my imagination - they may even be repackaged D'adds for all I know.

So, I am not sure that different makes actually vary that much - but Collings use D'addario EJs and they seem to work very well on mine ....so I'm not searching any more.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:50 PM

Unlike you, I find D'Addario Nickel Bronze 11-52's excellent on a rosewood jumbo and 12-53's sound great on a very cheap kit guitar I built.
Martin Retro Monels seem to be made for mahogany.

I really dislike any 80/20's.
I put them on my Honda.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-01-2017, 03:51 PM

I basically keep most guitars and basses with the same type of string and seldom deviate. If it sounds good, I don't mess with it. I could see trying to do something if I were unhappy with an instrument.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:44 PM

I'm sure I've not hated any strings but like all strings less than my favorite for a particular guitar. Every guitar gets a string test and the favorite of those tested are kept on the guitar.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

I had a bunch of silk and steel Martins left over so I threw a set on my Alvarez 00 back in September and they were terrible on that guitar. I left them on for a month as I don't play it all that often. I finally found myself avoiding the guitar because of the strings, so I put on a set of JP nickels and lived happily ever after.

The Martin Marquis S&S sound fine on my Seagull folk though.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-01-2017, 08:12 PM

Interestingly, the only strings that I absolutely hate on both of my guitars are the D'Addario Nickel Bronze 12-53. Bright, flat sounding with no overtones.
Latulippe OM #17(Sinker Cedar/Indian Rosewood)
Latulippe Foxtrot #29 (electric)
Lavoie Modern Archtop #142 (White Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Benoît Raby Étude classical (2013, Spruce, Indian Rosewood)
Old 11-01-2017, 08:14 PM

Default true mediums

I had similar responses to most of the strings you mention. I found that for my grand auditorium, true medium gauge is the sweet spot. I play up the neck a fair amount and I can keep the action lower with them and they sound just as good as regular mediums. Been using D'addario J-24s for awhile, very consistent and inexpensive but not long-lived. I gave GHS Laurence Juber true mediums a try last week. The tension is a little higher (good for rhythm) and after playing a whole contra dance, they still sound great. I'm a happy camper.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:53 PM

While I am a pretty died in the wool D'Addario user, mainly due to the fact that their strings are the highest quality for dollar spent of any brand out there. Most strings I've tried recently don't or won't even tune up properly, to my ear or they're way over built/designed. Either too much of a good thing, meaning too much shimmer, where PB strings are concerned, or too much added coatings that are entirely useless as far as my playing is concerned. To each his own but as for me, when I find something that works great, I stick with it. I don't expect everyone to like NB strings. There's no way everyone's gonna hear the same way at all and in fact I'm glad many don't.

Last edited by Looburst; 11-01-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:16 PM

Across the board, I really just don't like PB
Old 11-01-2017, 11:21 PM

I've never liked D'Addario strings on anything.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:05 AM

I have yet to come across any brand which would lure me away from Elixir 80-20 Nanoweb lights. I'm a big fan of coatings for skin chemistry reasons, but also getting great tone and ridiculous life from a set is the cherry on the cake for me. I have tried numerous other coated brands but they are uniformly awful, with EXP being the worst of the lot.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:00 AM

+1 on coated Elixers. For me they are well worth the money.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:13 AM

I don't "hate" any strings. Well, maybe any Silk and Steels

I like Martin Titaniums a lot but they cost too much.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion