The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
I was looking at the Recording Kings on Trinity's site. Sparked my curiousity. I also emailed Jim about them. The RD-27 caught my eye. Seems like a great price or all solid wood if they actually play and sound nice.
For what its worth...I have an RD 27 nice guitar solid englemen top and rosewood sides......neck is 1 ll/l6 kinda V but not uncomfortable at all...that being said Ive also had a Martin DM was a great tuff guitar....quite different than my solid rosewood RK tho......The RK is a great low budget prewar dread, not a martin but definitely worth the money. frank
Old 03-03-2009, 04:00 PM

"I was looking at the Recording Kings on Trinity's site. Sparked my curiousity. I also emailed Jim about them. The RD-27 caught my eye. Seems like a great price or all solid wood if they actually play and sound nice."

Stick with the DM it is a poor mans D-18 not 28..I have both now but the DM came years before..Outplays the recording king and quality of work is miles apart....The DM comes with medium SP Martin strings and booms from the bass..Don't worry about the laminate back and sides it still sounds like a good Martin..and don't get caught up in "what guitar I have" and that other one is no good most of it is just B.S. you'll love the DM and get years of great playing out of it...cibby
Old 03-03-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
I agree on the wood thing. That's why I got the 000-15.

What's Martin's lowest price all wood dread, other than the D-15?
Like the others have said, Go to Musicians Friend, those Martin Custom Dreadnaughts, the ones made out of Spruce and RW are really nice. Ive played two of them, they do sound like a D-28. All Really nice dreads for the Martin lover who wants to spend a little less.

Sammy
Old 03-03-2009, 04:24 PM

The DM's and DR's I've tried would be more of "a man's poor D-28". If you want Martin, put in a few extra bucks and get a 15 or 16 series new or used. Maybe locate a used D-1 or D-2. Whatever you spend extra will mostly come back if your sell it or trade it down the road and you'll have a better instrument in the meantime.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:06 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
The DM's and DR's I've tried would be more of "a man's poor D-28". If you want Martin, put in a few extra bucks and get a 15 or 16 series new or used. Maybe locate a used D-1 or D-2. Whatever you spend extra will mostly come back if your sell it or trade it down the road and you'll have a better instrument in the meantime.
I already have a 15 series. I got the GAS man, don't you understand?! (crazed look).

2016 Fender American Standard Strat (Burly Slinky)
2015 Taylor 416e (Elixir PB Lights)
2010 Yamaha FG700S (whatever strings I have lying around)
'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2001 Fender Standard Tele (Regular Slinky)
'94 Epiphone SG (Regular Slinky)
'90 Ibanez 540SLTD (Super Slinky)
Ibanez SR500 Bass (Ernie Ball flats)

Old 03-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

I have a DM. It isn't my first one, but hopefully I'll have the sense to keep it and it will be my last. Among Martin guitars, I have played many with higher price tags and with tone OTHER people would say is "better"... but I keep coming back to the DM because it has a certain tone I like... not someone else likes... ME!

Trust your ears. If you like the sound of the DM, don't buy some guitar you don't like as much just because of solid woods or resale value.

As for comparing it to a bunch of other guitars, remember one thing. The DM is made in America. Many of the others, regardless that they are solid wood, are made overseas. On that basis alone, the resale value issue has some cracks in its reasoning.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:37 PM

The price point of a used D1 or D2, if found, isn't that much more than a Custom D or DSM is it?
Old 03-04-2009, 02:50 PM

I've got a DM and it's a great sounding guitar and not just for the money, IT"S A GREAT SOUNDING GUITAR!!!!!!!!! you got folks everywhere that'll tell you that laminates can't sound as good as solid wood guitars. Don't listen to anyone or anything but your ears...................try a DM, my guess is you won't put it down .................
Old 03-04-2009, 03:18 PM

I've had a DM for around 8 years now and always thought it sounded great. I'd been used to laminate b/s, and by far, it was the nicest sounding laminate I ever owned.

If you like it, and it's something you can afford, it's a nice guitar in my opinion.

But it is a pretty expensive laminate, maybe. Not long ago, I bought a Larrivee om-03, my first solid wood guitar. Different bodies, so it's not really fair to compair them. The price was nearly the same (my DM was slightly over-priced in the local shop), and for the money, I like my Larrivee better. If you can (like has been mentioned), try a 03 Larrivee dread, too.

I'll never part with my DM, but it does get played less now I have a Larrivee. But it's my personal taste - when it was my only "good" guitar, I played quite contentedly on my DM.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion