The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2009, 01:06 AM

Default Why does cold weather have to be so mean?

Ok I officially hate cold weather now. I had 2 acoustic guitars in my car. A Takamine I bought a long time ago and my Stonebridge I just got at the beginning of last year. I bring them in and let them sit for over 18 hours. I open my Stonebridge and there's not any finish cracking but a big crack all the way from the bottom of my top to the bottom of my bridge. Right in the middle. Of course I'm in shock. I go to take a look at my other guitar, mindful it's not beat up but has it's fair share of living on it, and NOPE....not another scratch on it. Ya know...it just doesn't sound fair to me. Why did it have to be my good one? I know it was my fault. I feel like a moron but DANG. I'm so frustrated.

Sorry to vent but I needed to get it off my chest before I exploded. I guess I will see if I can have a luthier repair it. I'm not that advanced to handle that yet. If you made it to this point thanks for listening.
08 OM built myself Spruce/Ovankol
Opera is where a guy gets stabbed in the back, and instead of dying, he sings. ~Robert Benchley
Old 01-17-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman399 View Post
Ok I officially hate cold weather now. I had 2 acoustic guitars in my car. A Takamine I bought a long time ago and my Stonebridge I just got at the beginning of last year. I bring them in and let them sit for over 18 hours. I open my Stonebridge and there's not any finish cracking but a big crack all the way from the bottom of my top to the bottom of my bridge. Right in the middle. Of course I'm in shock. I go to take a look at my other guitar, mindful it's not beat up but has it's fair share of living on it, and NOPE....not another scratch on it. Ya know...it just doesn't sound fair to me. Why did it have to be my good one? I know it was my fault. I feel like a moron but DANG. I'm so frustrated.

Sorry to vent but I needed to get it off my chest before I exploded. I guess I will see if I can have a luthier repair it. I'm not that advanced to handle that yet. If you made it to this point thanks for listening.
Ouch! Sorry! I lived in Maine and Connecticut for many years and had cheap guitars. In the past decade, I've gotten some good guitars. I guess I'm very glad to live in such a temperate climate. I feel your pain.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:47 AM

Sorry to hear about that.
FWIW, before I bought my Langejans a couple years ago, browsing through GC looking at Taylors. Hanging on the wall were an 814 and a 614 with cracks in the same location as yours My problem with that was, Why are damaged guitars hanging for the public to see? (I did point them out to the employee) and how ,in a controlled environment, would humidity have any thing to do with it? Lots of other instruments in the room w/o issues???
Turned me off to Taylors right then.
Didn't appear to be a handling issue.
So , I guess it can happen, regardless of the circumstances.
'84 Yamaha FG 345II
Aquarius long neck 5 string banjo
Old 01-17-2009, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Are we talking top cracks or finish cracks? The finish checking is more a temperature than a humidity thing. Opposite for top cracks.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:38 AM

How long had the guitars been in the cold car? I passed up a great bluegrass jam last night because I didn't want to bring my guitars and subject them to a cycle of cooling/heating/cooling/heating/cooling/heating/cooling/heating in and out of the car and the houses. Yeah, I hate winter too!
Old 01-17-2009, 07:39 AM

Also, I'll add that if it is actually the center seam (actually ON the glue joint) that it should be a warranty issue. I'd certainly cover it if one of my glue joints let go like that.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:17 AM

Glad I moved to Texas! I destroyed a nice cedar top classical during college in upstate NY by dragging it around between unheated van, hot stuffy practice rooms, freezing converted cottage with forced air heater on floor. Big wood separation on the back of the headstock, near where it joined the neck.

And my 92 Taylor suffered too, before I got it repaired and then became religious about humidifying my guitars.

I still am careful, but our milder winters here and heat pump heater (much subtler and less blasting than forced air) and AC inside during summer are much kinder to my instruments.Of course, the summers outside are brutal, but I don't much sit and play outside.

http://claudiagibson.com
Martin 2014 000-18 Mahogany/Sitka
Taylor 1992 412 GC Mahogany/Sitka
1982 Fender Strat '57 Vintage Reissue
2017 Epiphone ES-339 Cherry Red
Old 01-17-2009, 08:42 AM

Move to California. The climate is great, but we're broke, so be sure to bring your money for the Governator.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
Are we talking top cracks or finish cracks? The finish checking is more a temperature than a humidity thing. Opposite for top cracks.
It's not the finish, it's the top that's cracked.
Opera is where a guy gets stabbed in the back, and instead of dying, he sings. ~Robert Benchley
Old 01-17-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
How long had the guitars been in the cold car? I passed up a great bluegrass jam last night because I didn't want to bring my guitars and subject them to a cycle of cooling/heating/cooling/heating/cooling/heating/cooling/heating in and out of the car and the houses. Yeah, I hate winter too!
To be honest, too long and that's another thing I'm kicking my own but for. What would you guys suggest for repair options? Thanks again
Old 01-17-2009, 09:40 AM

sorry to hear it, wingman. Yeah, when a guitar gets cold, it shrinks. If it was marginal (maybe due to construction or more likely humidity) at room temperature, then there you have it.

It might be worth trying to get the manufacturer to cover it. But if you don't want to go that route, your first step is to get it humidified (regardless), then take it to a luthier.

Real sorry to hear that. Major bummer; and yes winter sucks.
Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)
Old 01-17-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenken View Post
Move to California. The climate is great, but we're broke, so be sure to bring your money for the Governator.
Reminds me of an old Woody G. tune! "believe it or not you won't find it so hot, if you aint got that Do Re Mi"
Old 01-17-2009, 10:00 AM

i had a guitar shipped to me last new year. was at the warehouse where i live for a 3 day weekend with the temp below 0 and when i got the guitar not a mark.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:02 AM

I would check with Stonebridge and see if it can be repaired under warranty.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:20 AM

Never pleasant when that kinda stuff happens - but unless you are going to keep your guitars in a sealed, climate controlled room it is hard to avoid.

My theory, and this is only a theory, is that in the search for tone, guitar builders have gone to thinner tops and braces. This sure beats something like those incredibly overbuilt double X braced guitars Gibson was churning out in the 1970s because they were more concerned with warranty issues than tone. But maybe it is the search for perfect tone that is the culprit in the how susceptible a guitar is too climate change.

Again, just a theory cuz I don't build 'em, I just play 'em.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion