The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2007, 07:14 AM

Default Alvarez YB1 Baritone acoustic

Has anyone ever played this Alvarez before? I'm looking to add an acoustic baritone to the mix to accompany my Jerry Jones electric baritone. Thanks.

http://alvarezgtr.com/prod_page.php?...D=8&ItemID=141
Taylor DN3
Alvarez AF90SCK
Alvarez MD-80-12
Epiphone Chet Atkins SST
Epiphone Limited Edition SST
Gibson Chet Atkins SST (ebony)
Jerry Jones Single Cutaway Baritone (black)
BC Rich Eagle Custom Made (tobacco burst)
BC Rich Eagle Classic Deluxe (prototype, black)
BC Rich Eagle Classic Deluxe (production, black)
Ibanez Prestige Series electric
Old 07-21-2007, 08:50 AM

Default Yb-1

I'm not unbiased - as I've listed my Ovation DS-768 Longneck Baritone for sale on this forum. That said . . .

When I purchased the Ovation, I also played the Alvarez-Yairi YB-1 and Tacoma Thunderhawk. The Yairi was aesthetically the best looking of the three, while the Tacoma was clearly the 'Plain Jane' of the group. While the black, roundback bowl on the Longneck is butt ugly, the multi-hole soundboard and other appointments on the instrument are well executed and aesthetically pleasing.

While I've never like the unamplified sound of Ovation guitars, the roundback design works phenomenally well here. The Longneck projects better and has a much fuller sound than either the Thunderhawk or YB-1. The Thunderhawk and Tacoma sounded good, the Longneck sounded better - more growl and rumble. I also found the Longneck easier to play - it felt more like a regular guitar.

Hope this helps.

Emerald X-20
Guild BT-240E
Journey OF660

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion