The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-11-2011, 12:13 AM

Default New Taylor (214CE) buyer's remorse

I just got my new (to me) 214CE a couple days ago. I needed a new acoustic electric and decided on a Taylor. I'd always been curious about Taylors but never pulled the trigger. Owned a few Larrivees and a couple Martins in the past (and a baby taylor, wanted a "real" one this time). I picked the 214CE over a 312CE because it was newer, had the ES-T vs the 2007-2009 ES (I like the Aura system), and the x14 style is the "classic" taylor (to me, at least). Both guitars were for sale online, I'm a lefty so it's hard to find used guitars near me to try before I buy. I strung the 214 with my favorite strings and played it for a few days. Sounded alright, but not quite "there." Playability was really stiff. The action was pretty high as well. Not what I expected. Plus the finish reminded me of the Baby Taylor I had last year (especially the neck, and not in a good way). I'm also not getting along with the body shape/size. I'm a little guy, and I'm just not able to get comfortable with it. I dropped into the local taylor dealer today and played a 314CE to compare. BIG difference: full clear bass, shimmering highs, easy playability, etc. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting the 312CE for less than $200 what I paid for the 214CE. If you add in what my Aura spectrum cost me It would have been a little cheaper to get the 312! I restrung mine tonight with elixir lights and it did help the sound a lot and the playability a little. I'm playing it at Church tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

Let me be clear: despite all I've said, my 214CE is a GOOD guitar. I DO like it. I definitely like it enough that if I do get something else it will be another Taylor. It's just not the guitar for ME. I like the way taylor builds guitars. I like a lot of what the company does. I like that they are always looking to improve, even when their idea of improvement might run contrary to the customers' idea. Just looking to vent a little. Anybody else ever have this kind of experience?
Old 09-11-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftycajun View Post
I just got my new (to me) 214CE a couple days ago. I needed a new acoustic electric and decided on a Taylor. I'd always been curious about Taylors but never pulled the trigger. Owned a few Larrivees and a couple Martins in the past (and a baby taylor, wanted a "real" one this time). I picked the 214CE over a 312CE because it was newer, had the ES-T vs the 2007-2009 ES (I like the Aura system), and the x14 style is the "classic" taylor (to me, at least). Both guitars were for sale online, I'm a lefty so it's hard to find used guitars near me to try before I buy. I strung the 214 with my favorite strings and played it for a few days. Sounded alright, but not quite "there." Playability was really stiff. The action was pretty high as well. Not what I expected. Plus the finish reminded me of the Baby Taylor I had last year (especially the neck, and not in a good way). I'm also not getting along with the body shape/size. I'm a little guy, and I'm just not able to get comfortable with it. I dropped into the local taylor dealer today and played a 314CE to compare. BIG difference: full clear bass, shimmering highs, easy playability, etc. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting the 312CE for less than $200 what I paid for the 214CE. If you add in what my Aura spectrum cost me It would have been a little cheaper to get the 312! I restrung mine tonight with elixir lights and it did help the sound a lot and the playability a little. I'm playing it at Church tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

Let me be clear: despite all I've said, my 214CE is a GOOD guitar. I DO like it. I definitely like it enough that if I do get something else it will be another Taylor. It's just not the guitar for ME. I like the way taylor builds guitars. I like a lot of what the company does. I like that they are always looking to improve, even when their idea of improvement might run contrary to the customers' idea. Just looking to vent a little. Anybody else ever have this kind of experience?
Actually I played some 214 that sound much better than the 314s....

also you can't assume that because you played a 314 that its going to sound as well as the 312.......those are two different body shapes. the 312 is going to have much less bass and much less volume.

unless you played a 312 yourself, you can't really judge and compare the 214 with it......

Taylors are one company were higher number series always doesn't mean better sounding guitars.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:14 AM

Hey Lefty - sorry to hear about your experience. That's one of the possible issues folks have when they buy a guitar unseen. If the action is high, it probably just needs a setup.

It sounds like you need to trade in the 214 for that 314 you played or a 312???
Old 09-11-2011, 05:35 AM

The action being high may have partially been because of too heavy strings. That guitar is designed for light strings. Perhaps a search for the perfect brand might help.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:04 AM

I just picked up the 210ce-g and it sounds amazing. Please have your guitar setup before you give up on it. I played lots of Taylor higher series guitars that did not sound as good as the 2 series. As far as the neck and your comfort, well, that's a personal choice that you will have to decide if it's for you, but you should have a great sounding guitar if it's setup properly.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:09 AM

I had a 314ce last year. I bought it new and I didn't like it as much as my 214ce. Maybe you got a dud (Tayors are pretty consitent though). You may just need to give it some time, get it set up the way you like it and let it grow on you. The 214ce is a good guitar for the money.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:37 AM

I've played a good number of 200 series Taylors and have not found a dud yet. Nothing you can do about the finish but you can certainly have a good setup done.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:50 AM

Hey Lefty! Sorry about the 214.

I had one and it played great. I think if you get a pro set up, it will do wonders for the guitar.

I now have a 110ce and got it set up and plays excellent.(i posted a song with it on show and tell)

One thing with taylor guitar is, it should never feel stiff to play. But sometimes they do. I play with light strings .12-.53, which should help.

IF, you have room to take a little off the saddle, i like to round/sand the edges off the top(a tad),its... just what i do.

Good luck my friend. Solo

Mike Solo
Old 09-11-2011, 12:30 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Like some of the others on here, I have one of these low-end Taylors, a 110, and it was fine before I got it set up, but after all the adjustments (including a slight neck adjustment, a custom saddle, and new, better tuning machines), I'm very pleased with the result. The type and tension of the strings I use definitely makes a huge difference in playability and sound, so you might have the most luck trying a variety of options there. But if the action is too high for you, and the use of lighter strings doesn't help, I'd consider installing or having someone else install a different saddle (or if you're a DIYer, you might be able to sand the bottom down on the stock saddle). I wasn't thrilled with the tusq saddle that comes standard on these, so I took advantage of the switcheroo and put a bone saddle in, with what I consider to be pretty positive results, soundwise. A new nut might also let you tweak the action, if you're really ambitious. But in the end, I'd agree with most of what's been said on here by other posters - if you have the time and patience to deal with it, you may be able to get a lot more out of your current 214 than you would by spending a lot more money on the next model line up the cost-chain.

Good luck with this, I hope you end up with exactly the right instrument for you!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony3728 View Post
I had a 314ce last year. I bought it new and I didn't like it as much as my 214ce. Maybe you got a dud (Tayors are pretty consitent though). You may just need to give it some time, get it set up the way you like it and let it grow on you. The 214ce is a good guitar for the money.
this is amazing to me, because after A/Bing a 314 and 214, to me, there was NO comparison in favor of the 314. its definitely true that higher number doesn't mean better sound, but there is a big difference between the 1/200s and the 3+. all solid wood, glossy top, MUCH better neck

just proves that in taylors and in guitars its really to each his/her own...
Old 09-11-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTils08 View Post
this is amazing to me, because after A/Bing a 314 and 214, to me, there was NO comparison in favor of the 314. its definitely true that higher number doesn't mean better sound, but there is a big difference between the 1/200s and the 3+. all solid wood, glossy top, MUCH better neck

I guess thats the beauty of it. To my ears (could have hearing damage to years in the army) the 214ce had darker tone. The 314ce sounded much brighter. I even found myself playing it more than my Martin HD-28 and D-16. I became so fond of my two Taylors I sold all my other guitars. It's nice to have to really inexpensive guitars that sound like gems to my ears. I realize everybodys experience is different though.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:

I agree. While I have played some nice 110s and some 210s they fall short IMO on higher end models. Personally from any 214 I have played I would take a 314CE any day over it. the lower series like the 100s are brighter IMO and can be percieved as a bit louder because the overall tone it BRIGHTER and not as rich and full across the spectrum. I played a few 110s that were very nice but compare it to a DN3. NOT EVEN IN THE SAME ROOM.

The last 200 series models that tripped my trigger were the older solid wood ones.
I also don`t care for the rougher feeling narrower neck. For a back up or beater ya I like a 110 but for my main guitar I would start with the 300 series and up any day.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
I agree. While I have played some nice 110s and some 210s they fall short IMO on higher end models. Personally from any 214 I have played I would take a 314CE any day over it. the lower series like the 100s are brighter IMO and can be percieved as a bit louder because the overall tone it BRIGHTER and not as rich and full across the spectrum. I played a few 110s that were very nice but compare it to a DN3. NOT EVEN IN THE SAME ROOM.

The last 200 series models that tripped my trigger were the older solid wood ones.
I also don`t care for the rougher feeling narrower neck. For a back up or beater ya I like a 110 but for my main guitar I would start with the 300 series and up any day.
its just a completely different level and class of instrument, imo
Old 09-11-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
its just a completely different level and class of instrument, imo
agree!!
Old 09-11-2011, 05:27 PM

Thanks for all the feedback! I really think I just spoiled myself with the last few nicer acoustics I've owned. After playing them the 214 feels like a dressed up Big Baby to me. It sounded better today, but its still pretty stiff. I did a little setup work last night but didn't want to make any major changes since I had to play it this morning and didn't have time to fix something if I screwed it up (take too much off the saddle, sand it unevenly, leading to pickup balance problems, etc.). I know the 312 won't sound like the 314 I played yesterday, but I'm thinking the solid woods, nicer feeling neck, and smaller body shape are what I'm after. I heard back from the guy with the 312 and it sounds like we might be able to work something out. I'm not totally against the 200 series taylors, and when my son decides to learn guitar and wants a real acoustic I know exactly where I'll steer him. For the money they are very nice guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion