The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2010, 06:01 PM

Default What's the best mass built acoustic guitar for under £2000? ($3000) (in your opinion)

I've decided to buy another acoustic guitar this summer(hard decision), and I reckon about £2000 (about $3000) is my limit.

I don't have any decent guitar stores locally (no local stores are stocking the upper range models due to the global slump) so am planning a trip down south to spend the day moving between guitar shops trying guitars until the sun goes down.

I already have my heart set on either a nice Martin or Gibson but I'd appreciate any advice or opinions on which particular guitar you guys and girls would look out for (or go for) in this price range.

I would define my playing style as
40% flatpicker----40% strummer----20% fingerpicker.

Cheers.

Jack.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:11 PM

If you want a Martin, get a Martin. But for that kind of money, you are well into the used market for a small shop guitar. That is the route I'd go if I were in your position.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorKoaFan View Post
If you want a Martin, get a Martin. But for that kind of money, you are well into the used market for a small shop guitar. That is the route I'd go if I were in your position.
Sorry for my noobyness, but what do you mean by a small shop guitar?
Old 04-20-2010, 06:27 PM

Hand's down - Martin.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcooper View Post
Sorry for my noobyness, but what do you mean by a small shop guitar?
I see the title of your thread is the "best mass produced guitar"... a small shop guitar is built by a luthier (or small team of luthiers) that generally produce around 500 guitars annually rather than 50,000+. This provides for greater consistency and attention to detail in each individual guitar. Typically, they would also thickness the top to the individual piece of wood rather than simply a "standard" thickness for all tops of that species.

Doesn't guarantee a better guitar, but that's where I'd put my money if I were betting. Names that come to mind are Collings, Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Froggy Bottom... all excellent builders with different tonal qualities.

Were you specifically looking for a mass produced guitar?
Old 04-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Names that come to mind are Collings, Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Froggy Bottom... all excellent builders with different tonal qualities.
Hi TKF…
Huss & Dalton, Morris, Goodall, Avalon, Eastman...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-20-2010, 06:38 PM

In that price range, I think a Martin OM-28V is pretty tough to beat.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I see the title of your thread is the "best mass produced guitar"... a small shop guitar is built by a luthier (or small team of luthiers) that generally produce around 500 guitars annually rather than 50,000+. This provides for greater consistency and attention to detail in each individual guitar. Typically, they would also thickness the top to the individual piece of wood rather than simply a "standard" thickness for all tops of that species.

Doesn't guarantee a better guitar, but that's where I'd put my money if I were betting. Names that come to mind are Collings, Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Froggy Bottom... all excellent builders with different tonal qualities.

Were you specifically looking for a mass produced guitar?
Not necessarily, just meant that I would rather buy from a shop than get one custom built, although I will look out for those names you mentioned in the used section
Old 04-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not necessarily, just meant that I would rather buy from a shop than get one custom built, although I will look out for those names you mentioned in the used section
Hi jack…
Have you looked through the classifieds here?

I bet your pound will go further...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-20-2010, 06:50 PM

Once I've owned the best example of each available guitar and played it to the experienced level I'll post my very best and unbiased opinion here.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:51 PM

For 3K you could get a used guitar in the for sale section (that would cost 5-7K new) and it will hold its value better.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi jack…
Have you looked through the classifieds here?

I bet your pound will go further...

For some reason (pretty dumb I know), I always assume that guitars in the classified section are being sold because they're not up to scratch.

I really shouldn't be so narrow minded, but I would only sell something on if it wasn't good, so I always assume it's like that for everyone.

Thanks for your advice though, I will have a look.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
For some reason (pretty dumb I know), I always assume that guitars in the classified section are being sold because they're not up to scratch.

I really shouldn't be so narrow minded, but I would only sell something on if it wasn't good, so I always assume it's like that for everyone.

Thanks for your advice though, I will have a look.
There's always that but in an economy like this prize pieces come out too.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:59 PM

H D 2 8 or H D 3 5................
Old 04-20-2010, 08:09 PM

If your trip down South includes Nashville, there are several music stores there (Gruhn, Cotton, Guitar Gal & others) which would let you try any number of wonderful guitars in that price range. Pick the one that floats your boat.

-Raf

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion