The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-11-2007, 08:25 PM

Default Who makes Harbinger speakers?

They appear to be private label for GC. (right?)

Question is, how do they compare generally to like Mackie and JBL; are they any good?

If not I will probably mail order something else, as the GC sales dude was really pushing these. Probably higher margin for his commission, but I thought I'd post this just in case they're actually a good deal...
Old 12-12-2007, 07:44 AM

I don't think it is a house brand, as Musicians Friend and Music123 also sell them.

A poster on a Harmony Central forum said the company's products are unrelated to to a well regarded company of the same name that sold speakers designed by Mark Wayne, from the S.F. Bay Area a while back.

I've never heard of them before.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:25 PM

Bump.

Here is Harbinger's website, which has the look and feel of an offshoot of a larger company. Musician's Friend is Guitar Center, not sure about Music 1-2-3.

http://www.harbingerproaudio.com

I am leaning toward mail-ordering EV's but am not quite up the learning curve yet. I have gotten quite comfortable with setting up and operating PA equipment over the years but have never made my own purchase.

So... if anyone could recommend a good place to shop for PA speakers in the DFW that would be great. In the meantime I'll keep looking around and gleaning what I can.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:04 AM

Having owned a pair of Electro-Voice SX200s for almost ten years, I'm sure you won't regret choosing the brand.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Having owned a pair of Electro-Voice SX200s for almost ten years, I'm sure you won't regret choosing the brand.
Ditto! I have the sx100+'s as well as the new Zx1-90's. I love the EV sound, better than JBL in my opinion.

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 06-22-2011, 10:53 AM

Default harbinger PA's manufac turer

when browsing this site I found this querry posted an deecided to research beginning with CGA corporate tracking back to BEHRINGER lol the harbinger units are made exclusively for GC though GC does sell bulk to come small chains
Old 06-22-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I don't think it is a house brand, as Musicians Friend and Music123 also sell them.

A poster on a Harmony Central forum said the company's products are unrelated to to a well regarded company of the same name that sold speakers designed by Mark Wayne, from the S.F. Bay Area a while back.

I've never heard of them before.

GC , MF, M123 are all owned by the Baines Group (Think Mitt Romney) therefore they are all essentially the same company.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semolinapilcher View Post

So... if anyone could recommend a good place to shop for PA speakers in the DFW that would be great. In the meantime I'll keep looking around and gleaning what I can.
I DO know that Murphy's Music in Irving sells P.A.s Other than Murphy's, I think your best bet would be good ol' Guitar Center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbydade View Post
when browsing this site I found this querry posted an deecided to research beginning with CGA corporate tracking back to BEHRINGER lol the harbinger units are made exclusively for GC though GC does sell bulk to come small chains
Another fairly reliable person said that Harbinger is manufactured by Behringer. And FWIW, I realize that there are some Behringer critics out there, but speaking from experience, Behringer DOES make some decent quality products. Personally, we bought a Harbinger powered monitor speaker (with the 12" speaker), for church use...and it does sound great for the price we paid for.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 06-22-2011, 05:48 PM

Wow, this is an odd thread to bring back after 3.5 years....

A few Canadian and American Guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification