The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-25-2014, 10:39 PM

Default NGD - Yamaha G235

Just bought it earlier today.
Did some research and played at least two dozen or more nylon string guitars over the past few months. Needed that warm nylon tone in my arsenal and this one fits the bill perfectly.
Made in Taiwan, late 70's to early 80's, frets and intonation are good, lots of small scratches, nail marks etc. which doesn't bother me one bit. Action is higher than I prefer, however there is plenty of saddle to bring it down. For now I will leave it alone and adjust the best I can. Sound is balanced, plenty of bass and treble when called upon, surprisingly this all laminate guitar sounds better compared to New World Estudio 650 that I used to own. Had a Yamaha C40 too, one of the newer ones, this guitar is put together a lot better with better materials so it seems.
Overall quite happy with my purchase and will try a few different string sets to see which one works the best. These older Yamaha guitars are quite good for relatively small investment (paid $120 and it came with nice gig bag - will be getting a hardshell case for it in due time).
Old 11-25-2014, 10:52 PM

I'm not surprised. I have an early 80's G245S-II that is lovely, lovely guitar. It's a solid spruce top and it's just a fantastic piece of tone wood.

Unfortunately, I'll probably end up selling it off as I'm coming to the conclusion that 630mm scale length is the best fit for me, but I'm conflicted about it. The Yamaha is worth more to me than it is on the market, but I just doubt that I will play it much as it deserves.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:01 PM

I had a G245 as well. They don't cost much on the used market, and are sturdy as a tank. I put two soundports in mine, and planed down the back of the neck. Kept it for a couple of years, and then moved it along to the next player.

Enjoy!
Old 11-25-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I put two soundports in mine, and planed down the back of the neck.
It's a bit of a baseball bat, isn't it?
Old 11-25-2014, 11:43 PM

Thank you both for kind words. I sure am enjoying it. Future plans are to fit a bone saddle and archtop hardshell case.

As far as selling your solid top Yamaha hang onto it, if still set on selling it find a local student that is worthy of it and make him/her a deal on it.

Last edited by swsman; 11-26-2014 at 12:22 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical