The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-11-2014, 08:39 PM

Default Good news bad news Córdoba C9

The good news is that I got a new Córdoba C9 for $300. The bad news is the truss rod is broken. So my question is can a broken truss rod be replaced or do I even need one on a nylon string guitar?
Old 11-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Musical minimalist

If you bought the spruce one from eddiespaghetti on Ebay - he said the relief was 1/16" right now - not ideal but certainly not problematic.

If at some point it becomes moreso (probably won't) you can have the neck heat pressed to bring it back some.

My biggest concern with that one is that at some point the truss rod would become loose and start rattling when played. I asked if it was now and he said no, but it could certainly be loosened during shipping.

Hope it works out for you....I'd suggest using normal tension strings probably.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:04 PM

Replacing it depends on how it's installed. If the neck is flat, or has the proper relief, you're probably good. I have a Córdoba with a fairly thin neck profile, and it doesn't have a truss rod. It is possible that the truss rod could rattle or buzz, but that can be fixed easily enough.

$300 sounds like a great price!
Old 11-12-2014, 06:56 AM

I guess my other question is how would a truss rod get broken on a new never used guitar?
Old 11-12-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine1988 View Post
I guess my other question is how would a truss rod get broken on a new never used guitar?
I was going to ask that same question.
Why would some one even buy a guitar with a broken truss rod.
A new C9 for $300 really
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 11-12-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafiryde View Post
I was going to ask that same question.
Why would some one even buy a guitar with a broken truss rod.
A new C9 for $300 really
Well I did but I think that was a great price even with broke truss rod which doesn't hurt the playability.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Musical minimalist

Not "broken" in the literal sense (as in snapped in two) but likely stripped - non functional.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:25 PM

Stripped truss rods can be repaired, if you have the right tool. Stew-Mac sells one for around $300, so ask your local tech if they possess the ability to make this repair. 1/16" relief sounds like a lot, unless you're able to lower the string height.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:28 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
1/16" relief sounds like a lot, unless you're able to lower the string height.
Nylon strings oscillate much more than steel strings do, so it's really not that far out of reality.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:06 PM

I have nylon strings with no adjustable rod and with adjustable rod. They all are set with little or no relief. I am in the 1/16 is a lot of relief camp. Having no adjustment may be OK if the relief is at a good place to start out. I don't think a nylon string guitar with that much relief could ever have the saddle and nut adjusted for good playability and certainly not optimum playability. But it depends on the user. If you are staying near the nut and use lower tension strings it may be passable.

BTW I can't imagine any scenario where the economics of replacing a truss rod make sense on that guitar. Maybe you have a good tech that can evaluate a repair of the existing rod but that could quickly get too expensive.

Lastly, in my experience, the guitars I have that have benefited from adjustable truss rods are the Cordoba's. So you may see your relief increase or decrease. Since most folks are entering the dry season, your relief can be expected to increase as humidity levels drop. However, if the guitar has been dryer than it is now, the converse will be true and your situation may improve.

So if it meets your needs playing like it does now, then you could be OK. But I don't think you'd have a guitar for the long haul.

As to how a new guitar has a broken rod, for example, the truss rod could be glued to the neck and was broken when the factory tried to adjust it. I had a bolt neck electric with exactly that problem (truss rod glued to neck). The rod didn't break but the neck could not be adjusted via the rod. The manufacturer replaced the neck. Not too practical with a C9.

hunter
Old 11-12-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
I have nylon strings with no adjustable rod and with adjustable rod. They all are set with little or no relief. I am in the 1/16 is a lot of relief camp. Having no adjustment may be OK if the relief is at a good place to start out. I don't think a nylon string guitar with that much relief could ever have the saddle and nut adjusted for good playability and certainly not optimum playability. But it depends on the user. If you are staying near the nut and use lower tension strings it may be passable.

BTW I can't imagine any scenario where the economics of replacing a truss rod make sense on that guitar. Maybe you have a good tech that can evaluate a repair of the existing rod but that could quickly get too expensive.

Lastly, in my experience, the guitars I have that have benefited from adjustable truss rods are the Cordoba's. So you may see your relief increase or decrease. Since most folks are entering the dry season, your relief can be expected to increase as humidity levels drop. However, if the guitar has been dryer than it is now, the converse will be true and your situation may improve.

So if it meets your needs playing like it does now, then you could be OK. But I don't think you'd have a guitar for the long haul.

As to how a new guitar has a broken rod, for example, the truss rod could be glued to the neck and was broken when the factory tried to adjust it. I had a bolt neck electric with exactly that problem (truss rod glued to neck). The rod didn't break but the neck could not be adjusted via the rod. The manufacturer replaced the neck. Not too practical with a C9.

hunter
Being that it is a new guitar and purchased from a dealer shouldn't it be under warenty? It was an eBay purchase but the seller is suppose to be a dealer.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:38 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine1988 View Post
Being that it is a new guitar and purchased from a dealer shouldn't it be under warenty? It was an eBay purchase but the seller is suppose to be a dealer.
If it was the eddie spaghetti one, you didn't read the description. You have his warranty, but since it was expressly stated that the truss rod was broken and it was to be understood that it was being sold to someone who knew how to deal with that situation, you will have no recourse.

He's not a dealer, he's an authorized repair center.

As I said before, if the relief becomes a problem, the neck can be heat pressed to remedy the problem - it's a relatively simple and inexpensive fix.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
As I said before, if the relief becomes a problem, the neck can be heat pressed to remedy the problem - it's a relatively simple and inexpensive fix.
Probably true but it depends on what led to the truss rod failure. For example, if truss rod is glued to the neck it might be tough to heat straighten. While I wouldn't try it, a friend did it himself to an electric guitar neck that had a maxed out truss rod. He used a heat lamp and applied pressure to the neck with a furniture clamp. It came out improved but I have no idea how long the improvement lasted.

Right now, in my location, I don't know a tech that I would trust with heat pressing. Especially on an acoustic. At least not a guitar that I wasn't prepared to lose. The OP (and you) may have better choices though.

hunter
Old 11-12-2014, 04:05 PM

The only recent eBay auction for a Cordoba C9 at the $300 price point is the eddie spaghetti auction. As the text of the auction reads:

Quote:
This guitar sounds and plays great, but has a broken truss rod. You are buying it as is. The action is set up correctly and shows 1/8" clearance at the 12th fret with about 1/16" relief at the 8th fret. We expect this instrument to sell to a buyer who understands the issues and is prepared to deal with a classical guitar that does not have an adjustable truss rod. Other than the broken truss rod, the guitar is in unplayed condition.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeoffriau View Post
The only recent eBay auction for a Cordoba C9 at the $300 price point is the eddie spaghetti auction. As the text of the auction reads:
That 1/8" at the 12th fret is 3.2 mm which isn't tragic for classical action even if on the 1st string. But it is not great either. A little on the high side for me. But if it plays clean up the neck and the buyer can deal with it, then it will work. Just hope if the neck moves, it moves in the right direction.

hunter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical