The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-06-2014, 09:08 PM

Location: Nowhere man please listen you don't know what you're missing
Default Songs for arthritic fingers

I've been working on composing a set of songs for guitar. They sound like a cross between classical and pop music with a Chopinesque feel to them.

Anyway, I am getting older now as a player and the hands are being slowed with arthritis. I don't want to play certain chords because it hurts. This has effected my chord selection and formation when I write. So I have noticed that the songs I am writing have an effect of just falling off the fingers...not that they are easy to play musically, but they are easier to play on guitar than they could be. Does that make sense?

I plan on recording the tunes and releasing them in the future and dedicating the project to my classical guitar teacher. But I am wondering here if the tabs might have a market for all the old folkies like me with hand problems.

Thoughts?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:20 AM

Cool

If you have a good product and promote it, I think the idea could catch on.Seems that would be a tough segment to identify and market to.

Good luck with your idea.
Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE
Old 10-22-2014, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Having arthritis in both hands and both shoulders, if I like the sound of your music I'll buy the music/tableture. Because of a swollen knuckle/joint in my left index finger I can't bar-chord...AT ALL! Easier fingering/fretting would work for me.

Dave
Old 10-26-2014, 09:28 PM

With arthritis in three left hand fingers, I'd sure invest in them! I can't hold a barre chord for long and some days I just can't play them at all. My classical songs now consist of simpler arrangements with no barres. Most of my other tunes are in open tunings. Sounds like a great project!

Jody
1994 Koa Goodall KGCC, Circa OO Maple, Wingert Model E, 1970 Gibson SG, Rainsong Shorty, Kanile'a Koa Tenor Uke, Keith Young Mountain Dulcimer, Jerry Read Smith Hammer Dulcimer
Old 10-30-2014, 02:52 PM

Angry

Funny, most of the time my teacher just thinks I am not trying hard enough when trying to barre

I keep telling him it is a result of arthritis and not an excuse

at least I know I am in good company

I would absolutely be interested in purchasing music for this issue!!

in the meantime, would also appreciate some suggestions on pieces that do not have Barre chords.

Why do all the pretty pieces have them
Old 11-24-2014, 04:08 PM

Location: Nowhere man please listen you don't know what you're missing

I just thought I'd give a status report on my project. I am not the most prolific of writers, a couple of pieces a year really. So I have just finished song number 7 of a 10 song set, and I have a great start on song number 8.

Its Finale Songwriter time; time to get to work writing it down. Songwriter gives you the power to make tabs with just a few commands, so when I am done writing them all, presto, tabs in a few minutes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical