The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-07-2014, 04:28 PM

[QUOTE=Dafiryde;4213472]
Quote:
Originally Posted by emil1369 View Post

like for example what those little numbers over each note, are.

It took me 50 pages to realize I was doing something wrong.

I realised the numbers over each note, but i cannot find what they are, help.
Those are fingering numbers for the left (fretting) hand, telling you which finger you should be using to fret the note.

So 0 = unfretted, 1 = index finger, 2 = middle finger, 3 = ring finger, and 4 = pinky.

This is pretty standard in guitar notation: the right hand thumb and first three fingers are p-i-m-a and the left hand fingers are 1-2-3-4. Sometimes a piece will have no fingering marks, sometimes a piece will have only right hand or left hand fingerings, and sometimes it will have both. It all depends on where Noad thinks extra help is needed.

Also, if you are looking for a DVD to help you get your technique down you could try Frederic Hand's Classical Guitar Technique & Musicianship. It starts out pretty basic (how to play rest stroke and free stroke) but it goes through a lot before the end. You can get it at Homespun and probably other places too.

Last edited by Geof S.; 11-07-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the assistance guys, i saw on fredrick noad site had 2 cd to go with book solo one. Should get it by next week. Really want to give this book a chance.
Thanks again
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 11-07-2014, 11:01 PM

Noad's book is dandy, but you'll really appreciate the CD's.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:14 PM
Get off my lawn kid

If you like the blues, Toby Walker, an AGF member has tons of lessons that he sells. I bought two, for $7.95 each. You get a few videos of how to play the song as well as the actual performance of it and the tabs for the song. He also has quite a few bundled lessons as well:

Here is his website:
http://www.littletobywalker.com/

You can also find a thread in the "play" section where members, including Toby, discuss his lessons. What happens is you purchase the lesson at his website and he emails you the link to down load all the videos and tabs.

I highly recommend it.

Also, there is Stefan Grossman who has a very good website. When you buy a lesson from Stefan, you install their software and it runs the lessons for you (you can also print the tab from this software as well). You have the choice of downloading all the info or just access it on the cloud. Before you install the lesson software if you have Norton antivirus you have to disable it, btw.

I also highly recommend his lessons.

I never thought that I would benefit from watching a video to learn how to play a piece, thinking that all I needed was the tab and an mp3 of the song. Wrong. A picture is really worth a thousand words (that and re-wind, lol). Videos are a tremendous learning tool. I learned Deep River Blues from Toby in a little over a week and I will have Stefan's version of Mississippi Blues going at full speed in another week or so.

Excellent stuff.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-25-2014, 08:13 PM

@Davidwhitehurst.

Thanks
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical