The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-24-2014, 08:18 AM

Default Cervantes Crossover 1 or Lowden S25J?

I've owned a low-end nylon string Takamine for probably 15 years now. I've always enjoyed playing it, but as I'm mostly a steel string player, it hasn't had much play time. I find myself playing it more and more lately, and enjoying the sound in the context that I use it. I use it mostly for jazz, jazz standards, and some light gypsy jazz. I play with a pick, however, I would also like to attempt to learn a few "true" classical pieces with fingers.

I'm interested in moving up to a better instrument, one with a radiused neck. The two specific models I'm interested in are the Cervantes Crossover 1 and the Lowden S25J. Used, they both fall into my desired price range.

Has anyone played both? Which did you prefer and why?
Old 07-24-2014, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Wow. I would've thought that the Lowden would be significantly more than the Cervantes. The Cervantes crossover that I played (at Sylvan's in Santa Cruz) was a very resonant guitar. I haven't played a Lowden SJ. I'm afraid I'd like it and then the $$ would make me choke! One Lowden in the family is enough.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the thoughts, M19! I have seen S25J's in the $1,600 to $1,800 range used, though admittedly, I may have to wait a while to find that again. I've owned Lowdens in the past and really like them. That's a plus for the Lowden. But, I've heard great things about the Cervantes, and they build nothing buy Nylon strings (to my knowledge).
Old 07-24-2014, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

I've played both (new) at my favorite purveyor of things fretted when I thought a crossover would be the end all, be all. The particular Cervantes I played had a very high action which makes it hard to evaluate it fairly. The S25J Lowden was simply outstanding. If I could have afforded the $5K+ price I would have bought it. No comparison in my experience although a better example of the Cervantes might change that. YMMV!

Dave
Old 07-24-2014, 12:16 PM

I have a Cervantes Crossover I Paloescrito and it is superb, loud, dynamic, and smooth. Great set-up and action with hard tension strings, stock bone nut and saddle, cutaway, very light and resonant, top notch fret work, and comfortable fingerboard radius and string spacing. I've been using it for everything from classical to folk and jazz, mostly classical. My old classical is collecting dust.

I have been unable to play a nylon Lowden but every steel string I've heard and played has been fantstic. On name alone I'd be tempted.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:08 PM

I have a Cervantes Crossover II. As the OP mentions, I too like the radius'd fretboard. I opted for the wider nut, though...in my case, I preferred the 2" width, hence the Crossover II instead of the Crossover I.

Regarding price, I'm very out of it these days. I do recall however, at the time I purchased my Crossover II (2 years ago), Cervantes had 2 lines of guitars - 1 manufactured in Mexico and 1 manufactured in California (I think). The price difference was significant, as I recall.

My Crossover II was made in Mexico. Sounds and plays wonderfully although I would say I remember the guitars made in California sounded noticeably better to my ears.

I'm perfectly happy with my Cervantes Crossover II but cannot comment on how it sounds compared to a Lowden.

Good luck in your search!

Last edited by Livingston; 07-24-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Thanks for the thoughts, M19! I have seen S25J's in the $1,600 to $1,800 range used, though admittedly, I may have to wait a while to find that again. I've owned Lowdens in the past and really like them. That's a plus for the Lowden. But, I've heard great things about the Cervantes, and they build nothing buy Nylon strings (to my knowledge).
New SJ's go for about $5k. To get a used one for under $2k would be fantastic. If you see that again, buy it immediately. Do not pass "Go." Do not collect $200.

I have an F32c and it is "My" guitar amongst all the others of my guitars.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:28 AM

Thanks again for all of the comments. I'm sure I would be quite happy with either.

I just found a used Lowden S32J and contacted the seller. It's a bit more than I'd like to spend, but it does seem like a fair price and it sure is beautiful. I'll let everyone know if this has a happy ending!
Old 11-20-2014, 11:06 AM

Did you ever spring for that S32J? I'd be interested in hearing how that worked out...
2006 Taylor T5 Custom walnut top
2005 Avante AV-2 Baritone
2004 Breedlove KF Quartz Mandolin
2001 Taylor 455CE Ltd. (Koa)
2001 Seagull Artist
1936 National Trojan (restored)
Old 11-20-2014, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

There is a Lowden SJ 25J on Ebay right now under $1600. Who knows where it will end up but last time I looked it was closer to $1500 than 16.
Good luck.
I'm also am looking for a nylon string with a radiused fb, though I would prefer a carved back also.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical