The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-28-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
I’ve been told monster cable are also over sized and can cause damage.
This is wrong. How can a cable increase signal strenght? The only thing a cable does is transport the signal from source to point, some cables do this better than others. Look for cables with real gold or silver. No they are not created equal. This is coming from a rehabed audiophile who sometimes has relapses. I'll put my 70's Sansui stereo reciever against anything built today under $10,000. Why? Because back then they used real metal and not this junk recycled tin metal found in todays equipment. It DOES make a difference.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:39 AM

Default within specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I measured 5 or 6 plugs. Diameters varied from 0.248"-0.250".
I also put the caliper on several plugs, all 0.247- 0.248". The neutrik connectors on my american stage series planet waves were 0.247". For $20 for a 10 footer, mine have held up under heavy use. Endpin jacks are steel and as such, I fail to see how they can be "reamed out" by a quality plug.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValid View Post
This is wrong. How can a cable increase signal strenght? The only thing a cable does is transport the signal from source to point, some cables do this better than others. Look for cables with real gold or silver. No they are not created equal. This is coming from a rehabed audiophile who sometimes has relapses. I'll put my 70's Sansui stereo reciever against anything built today under $10,000. Why? Because back then they used real metal and not this junk recycled tin metal found in todays equipment. It DOES make a difference.
Ah yes they certainly don't "increase" signal strength .. not without an inline
amplifier. But just like your Sansui receiver they can be made
From better and thicker metals which reduce resistance across
the cable.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David MacNeill View Post
....... with the exception of Monster cables, which are of good quality but WAY overpriced — and the people who run the company are bullies: why innovate when you can litigate?
Careful.....those guys would sue their own mothers......
Old 12-29-2017, 07:13 PM

Long & McQuade (Canada) sells the Yorkville Studio One cables. Lifetime warranty, just bring it into the store and they'll exchange it for you. I bought 5 or 6 of them about 7 years ago. No problems with any of them.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:15 PM

Well, I have a 10ft. Monster instrument cable (90degree/straight) that I've had for THIRTY years...countless gigs, still works perfect. So, I don't know about "overpriced", but 30 years seems like a pretty sturdy deal.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 12-30-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Long & McQuade (Canada) sells the Yorkville Studio One cables. Lifetime warranty, just bring it into the store and they'll exchange it for you. I bought 5 or 6 of them about 7 years ago. No problems with any of them.
Another vote for the L&M cables. I have some of their Standard Series Vintage cables that are excellent.
Yamaha APX T2
Old 12-30-2017, 06:38 AM
Guitar Gourmet

As with the rest of the guitar world, there are tiers of cables:
There's cheap junk
There's a wealth of good, workmanlike cables in the middle that do the job excellently and last well
There are overpriced, boutique, some of which are excellent and some are only average.

I'd prefer not to comment on the extremes. I can tell you that Guitar Player Magazine ran an excellent article around the year 2000 comparing all the major brands. They put the cables through electrical, wear, catastrophic damage, utility, and listening tests. They found little advantage to the boutique brands. Their favorite was a mid-priced tweed-covered cable from Horizon (now Rapco Horizon). I went out and bought a couple of them and they've lasted marvelously and are my favorite cables.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-15-2018, 10:05 AM

I agree with "home made" cables. You can purchase top of the line Mogami W2524 Bulk Guitar Cable for about .99 a foot and excellent quality connectors for 3-4 dollars each. You will now have the most expensive cables available for peanuts. Monoprice also sells excellent quality guitar cables.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification