The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-24-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I have no stories to share, but as a former owner of a ‘58 Strat for many years, I’m quite interested in vintage electrics and enjoy reading about their history just for interest sake.
I love reading about the guitar history. I have quite a few books which feed some interest. A '58 Strat ... wow! You had a piece of history in your hands, Tom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
It is interesting how some of these guitars are beginning to have chains of ownership very much like the Stradivarius violins. Many are referred to by the name of the famous owner, ie. the John Sebastian 'Burst, Greenie, etc.

Bob
Yep, some of those vintage guitars have names and that's cool. Like Eric Clapton's "Blackie". Same as Jimmy Page's #1 and SRV's #1 (and Lenny).
Old 12-24-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
yes, that is me next to joe. he was really a very congenial person-a regular joe! and, dru, i think i read where he has east coast and west coast warehouses, perhaps called nerdville east and west.

here is his new sig model.

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/epi...lying-v-outfit
I met Joe once. Agree he is a super nice, “regular” guy.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:40 PM

As someone who loves the playing of both Peter Green and Gary Moore, I have always been interested in the Greenie.

Mick Ronson's Les Paul is another one.

And the Clarence White B-Bender Telecaster, now owned by Marty Stuart.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I love reading about the guitar history. I have quite a few books which feed some interest. A '58 Strat ... wow! You had a piece of history in your hands, Tom.

Yep, some of those vintage guitars have names and that's cool. Like Eric Clapton's "Blackie". Same as Jimmy Page's #1 and SRV's #1 (and Lenny).
Blackie was a mutt, because Clapton did not like the tone of a Strat with a tremolo, but loved the neck..

I believe Lenny was named after SRV's wife, who gifted him the guitar. SRV happened to die on my 18th birthday, just as I was getting into his music. I used to think EC sabotaged the helicopter... IIRC is was SRV, Clapton, and Robert Cray at that concert near Green Bay, WI?
Old 12-26-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Blackie was a mutt, because Clapton did not like the tone of a Strat with a tremolo, but loved the neck..

I believe Lenny was named after SRV's wife, who gifted him the guitar. SRV happened to die on my 18th birthday, just as I was getting into his music. I used to think EC sabotaged the helicopter... IIRC is was SRV, Clapton, and Robert Cray at that concert near Green Bay, WI?
Yep, Lenny was a guitar gifted to SRV by his wife with financial help from their friends. He wrote that song that same night for his wife.

One guy giving up a helicopter seat to another ...
Old 12-26-2017, 02:36 PM

I just watched a documentary about Terry Kath's daughter Michelle searching for his guitars - very interesting.
Variax 700/podXt Live
Yamaha C40 Classical
(Chinese) Acrylic Strat
Old 01-20-2018, 12:13 PM

Here's a great article entitled "Still at Large: 6 Famous Stolen Guitars that have Yet to be recovered". It includes Eric Clapton's '59 Gibson Les Paul and Paul McCartney's Violin Bass ... both stolen ~ 50 years ago.

https://reverb.com/news/still-at-lar...o-be-recovered
Old 01-20-2018, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post

Hey Louie,

No where near Green Bay. It was Alpine Valley. Less than an hour over the Illinois/Wisconsin border.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 01-20-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
Hey Louie,

No where near Green Bay. It was Alpine Valley. Less than an hour over the Illinois/Wisconsin border.

<<snippet pic>>

Mark
Did you make it to the gig? That's some great memorabilia.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Yes. I framed and gave those things to my son
(who is a very good player as well) a few years ago.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 01-21-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Here's a great article entitled "Still at Large: 6 Famous Stolen Guitars that have Yet to be recovered". It includes Eric Clapton's '59 Gibson Les Paul and Paul McCartney's Violin Bass ... both stolen ~ 50 years ago.

https://reverb.com/news/still-at-lar...o-be-recovered
so Bonamassa knows where Eric's Les Paul is but won't talk about it...

bottom of the barrel trashy he is
Old 01-21-2018, 01:43 PM

Here is a sort of "Boomerang" provenance story on Frampton's Black Beauty Les Paul that I always thought was pretty cool. The NPR story is here:

https://www.npr.org/2012/01/07/14479...-decades-later

Here is an excerpt:

In 1980, while Frampton was on tour in South America, the guitar was put on a cargo plane in Venezuela, en route to Panama. The plane crashed right after takeoff.

"Basically I'm thinking, 'It's gone,'" Frampton recalls. "But the thing is, I'm also sitting in a restaurant where I can see the pilot's wife. She's waiting in the hotel for her husband, who, unfortunately, didn't make it. So we were all overcome, because people lost their lives as well as our complete stage of gear."

What Frampton didn't know is that the guitar had survived, albeit with some bumps and bruises. It fell into the hands of a musician on the Caribbean island of Curaçao, who owned it for many years before a local guitar collector spotted it and contacted Frampton. After some negotiation, the guitar was returned to Frampton last month.

"It's sort of a matte black now — it's not shiny so much anymore. The binding needs a little bit of work on the neck; the electronics need replacing," Frampton says. He adds, though, that he'll limit repairs on the instrument to "whatever needs to be replaced on it to make it just playable. But it must retain its battle scars."
Old 01-21-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Here is a sort of "Boomerang" provenance story on Frampton's Black Beauty Les Paul that I always thought was pretty cool. The NPR story is here:

https://www.npr.org/2012/01/07/14479...-decades-later

Here is an excerpt:

In 1980, while Frampton was on tour in South America, the guitar was put on a cargo plane in Venezuela, en route to Panama. The plane crashed right after takeoff.

"Basically I'm thinking, 'It's gone,'" Frampton recalls. "But the thing is, I'm also sitting in a restaurant where I can see the pilot's wife. She's waiting in the hotel for her husband, who, unfortunately, didn't make it. So we were all overcome, because people lost their lives as well as our complete stage of gear."

What Frampton didn't know is that the guitar had survived, albeit with some bumps and bruises. It fell into the hands of a musician on the Caribbean island of Curaçao, who owned it for many years before a local guitar collector spotted it and contacted Frampton. After some negotiation, the guitar was returned to Frampton last month.

"It's sort of a matte black now — it's not shiny so much anymore. The binding needs a little bit of work on the neck; the electronics need replacing," Frampton says. He adds, though, that he'll limit repairs on the instrument to "whatever needs to be replaced on it to make it just playable. But it must retain its battle scars."
I remember reading about Frampton finding that guitar after decades. Great ending to the story. Gibson even has that signature guitar, black with 3 pickups.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
Hey Louie,

Mark
I got the Wisconsin part... form NY that's pretty close! Awesome memorabilia!
Old 01-21-2018, 05:11 PM

How about Bob Dylan's Strat that he played at the Newport festival? Crazy story behind that guitar...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars