The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Default Anyone like Waterfalls? **NGD photos added** John Kinnaird Bubinga Build

Many will think I've gone off the deep end before too long...you'll all know why soon...

But until then, let me introduce the next project that John and I will be collaborating on. One of the very cool things about visiting a builder's shop is certainly the general atmosphere of it. But...when you start digging into a wood pile that has been built over 40 years or so of building, sometimes you stumble onto hunks of wood that become very compelling. This is one of those. I saw this gorgeous piece of waterfall Bubinga around a year ago and told John to set it aside for me for a future build. So, the day to make this happen starts NOW

This guitar will be another 13 fret Om with a florentine cutaway. It will have an Englemann top which is really white with some gorgeous silking, and we'll trim it out with some bois d'rose, which is a deep maroon rosewood for the binding as well as probably the bridge and possibly even the fingerboard. No telling what other features this one may have, but I think and hope it will turn out pretty cool.

Here's a little sneak peek at the Bubinga...can you hear the waterfall??

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!

Last edited by invguy921; 04-19-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:43 PM

That is some beautiful back wood! It reminds me of the back wood on my BR L-DBO Presentation.

Last edited by Looburst; 11-08-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

That is a great looking back set for your new build Mike. I really like the waterfall look and sapwood. Also resembles a spinal X-Ray. Might have John check that bulge at L-4

Looking forward to following along!
Old 11-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
.... I think and hope it will turn out pretty cool.

Here's a little sneak peek at the Bubinga...can you hear the waterfall??

HOLY COW That is going to be one beautiful guitar Mike!

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 11-08-2017, 04:05 PM

Have you seen the finished product that Brother Steve built? I swear it must be a sister set and it was the most beautiful back I have ever seen....
Old 11-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Have you seen the finished product that Brother Steve built? I swear it must be a sister set and it was the most beautiful back I have ever seen....

Tom, Uh huh , I played that gorgeous guitar you mentioned at the Memphis show. And I agree, it was possibly the most gorgeous back I'd ever seen. Steve and Ryan did a really great job with that guitar!

When I saw this piece of wood at John's shop, there might have been 4.3 seconds between the time I saw it and the time I agreed to another build with it. I'm optimistic about the possibilities

Old 11-08-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Tom, Uh huh , I played that gorgeous guitar you mentioned at the Memphis show. And I agree, it was possibly the most gorgeous back I'd ever seen. Steve and Ryan did a really great job with that guitar!

When I saw this piece of wood at John's shop, there might have been 4.3 seconds between the time I saw it and the time I agreed to another build with it. I'm optimistic about the possibilities

That's the one! Built for a friend of mine, John. Here are a couple photos!

And while we're at it, mine also with an Engelmann top.

Cannot go wrong with a Waterfall Kinnaird!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 11-08-2017, 06:35 PM

Yeppers, that is the one I was thinking about...thanks Bob!
Old 11-08-2017, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerRE View Post
That's the one! Built for a friend of mine, John. Here are a couple photos!

And while we're at it, mine also with an Engelmann top.

Cannot go wrong with a Waterfall Kinnaird!
That is absolutely beautiful. Do you have any sound clips of this guitar you could share...have not had a chance to hear the tone of Bubinga.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Bubinga!

Beautiful wood Mike! Funny, I just had a guitar built for me with Bubinga back and sides by a local luthier and it's my all-time favorite acoustic I've ever owned (so far ;-). Very balanced and woody but with just the right amount of sustain and overtones. I highly recommend it as a tonewood! Plus "Bubinga" is just fun to say. Hope you have fun with the new build!

1959 Gibson Country Western
2017 Conner Spruce / Bubinga
1997 Taylor 810
1990 Fender American Strat
2019 Gibson Les Paul 1959 Historic
2023 Martin D-18 Custom Shop
Old 11-09-2017, 12:17 AM

Default Anyone like Waterfalls? John Kinnaird Bubinga Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
That is absolutely beautiful. Do you have any sound clips of this guitar you could share...have not had a chance to hear the tone of Bubinga.

I think there are clips of John's guitar (I will ping on Ryan). Not so sure about mine and it is on loan to France so might be tough to rapidly make one for mine.
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 11-09-2017, 12:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Woody, that looks like an incredible set. I’ve always been pleased with the sound of Bubinga in a variety of models. Great stuff.

For Knives&Guitars, here’s a link to clips of the guitar pictured that was kind of an ad hoc recording session, but you’ll get the idea. Bubinga soundclips. Hopefully Woody will make some clips of this beauty when it’s finished.

I’ve heard a Waterfall Bubinga that John made that was exquisite. Can’t wait to see this develop.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 11-09-2017, 06:12 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumming View Post
Beautiful wood Mike! Funny, I just had a guitar built for me with Bubinga back and sides by a local luthier and it's my all-time favorite acoustic I've ever owned (so far ;-). Very balanced and woody but with just the right amount of sustain and overtones. I highly recommend it as a tonewood! Plus "Bubinga" is just fun to say. Hope you have fun with the new build!
Ha! yes, good point!! BU-BING-GAAHHHHH....oh yes, I DO like to say that

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Woody, that looks like an incredible set. I’ve always been pleased with the sound of Bubinga in a variety of models. Great stuff.

For Knives&Guitars, here’s a link to clips of the guitar pictured that was kind of an ad hoc recording session, but you’ll get the idea. Bubinga soundclips. Hopefully Woody will make some clips of this beauty when it’s finished.

I’ve heard a Waterfall Bubinga that John made that was exquisite. Can’t wait to see this develop.
Thanks for chiming in Ryan. You guys did a great job on that one pictured above. I think our good buddy John will make this one really special also. Here is one more picture of this wood with the side wood.

Can you FEEL the Waves??

Old 11-09-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerRE View Post
I think there are clips of John's guitar (I will ping on Ryan). Not so sure about mine and it is on loan to France so might be tough to rapidly make one for mine.

I think France is my territory, but I will let that go until our next corporate meeting...

I have said this before, but if your friend ever wants to sell that guitar, I want to be first on that list!!!!
Old 11-09-2017, 10:31 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Striking set Mike. Should make for another scrumptious Kinnaird. Will be fun to follow along.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop