The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-03-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Ryan Nightingale

Is a Ryan Nightingale a versatile guitar which can excel at both strumming and fingerstyle? Eg. Euro spruce with IR back.

Any Nightingale owners care to comment?
2013 Martin 000-45ECM
2018 GS Mini Walnut
Kostal German/Braz

Gone to a better place:
1999 Applause guitar (Given away)
1997 Taylor 912ce Cindy
2005 Jeff Yong JJ Euro/Macassar
2006 Doerr Legacy German/Madagascar
2009 Simon Fay OM Redwood/Koa
Omega GC on order
2011 Collings OM2H
2013 Collings 0-42G
2003 Olson Cedar/IRW
Old 04-03-2007, 11:04 AM

Location: the Netherlands or Holland, whichever you prefer ;-)

In a word: yes! I love how my Nightingale sounds strummed, even though I play fingerstyle mostly. If I lightly strum the strings the right way (very loosely holding the pick) it almost sounds like a 12 string. I even flatpick on it. I found the right pick and the nightingale sounds great flatpicked. I use a Wegen 1.5 mm M150 mandolin pick. With the round tip and beveled edges it gives a great round, thick tone and it works great for hybrid picking, but that's a different topic. I am totally thrilled with my Nightingale. I believe it can handle anything, although if you like old time & blues there are better choices, like a Dudenborstel, Greven or Henderson.

My Youtube Page

My Video Recordings
My Audio Recordings
My Sheetmusic

My Twitter
Old 04-04-2007, 06:43 AM

Joost,

Since you have both model, what would be the main difference between the 2 models?
2013 Martin 000-45ECM
2018 GS Mini Walnut
Kostal German/Braz

Gone to a better place:
1999 Applause guitar (Given away)
1997 Taylor 912ce Cindy
2005 Jeff Yong JJ Euro/Macassar
2006 Doerr Legacy German/Madagascar
2009 Simon Fay OM Redwood/Koa
Omega GC on order
2011 Collings OM2H
2013 Collings 0-42G
2003 Olson Cedar/IRW
Old 04-04-2007, 08:31 AM

I am in love. What a sound!

Good playing, too. Nice.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:01 PM

Location: the Netherlands or Holland, whichever you prefer ;-)

Tadmania, thanks! (I assume you meant my recordings )

Rainbow,
Well, that's an interesting question and it's harder to answer now, because I keep the Cathedral in DADGAD now, enhancing the difference between the two. The funny thing is, that even though the Cathedral has a deeper, more cavernous sound, the Nightingale definitely has a somewhat darker sound, especially in the trebles. The notes on the Cathedral have a more Spruce type clarity or brightness to them.

Also, and I am not sure if this is because I have been playing it every day for almost a year, but the Nightingale just really comes to life like no other guitar I've played, including the Cathedral. If I fingerpick a cowboy E7 chord, the box just vibrates in my lap and the guitar growls when you play it right. The funny thing is, I would have expected that from the Cathedral more than the Nightingale.

The most important difference is that the Nightingale is even more responsive than the Cathedral, which is no slouch! The Nightingale responds more to light touch and harmonics just pop out. I've also described the notes on the Nightingale as starting to bloom after the initial attack, really coming alive. The Cathedral's depth really comes out in the bass, so even more so in dropped tunings. It really shines in DADGAD. I've never heard anything quite like the depth and singing octaves of the Cathedral strummed with this D-chord:

D: 0
A: 0
G: 7
D: 4
A: 0
D: 0

I was surpized that my Nightingale sounds just as 'thick' and full as my Cathedral. I thought it wasn't going to be as meaty, but it is! Also, despite all the differences I just described, the basic signature sound is the same.

My Youtube Page

My Video Recordings
My Audio Recordings
My Sheetmusic

My Twitter
Old 04-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

I think it might be the blackwood

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 04-04-2007, 02:24 PM

As for me, I'll take my Omega MJ against practically anything. Lower bout of a dread, upper a bit slimmer. Sound? Blow your hair off. Bass? yeah--there in spades; mids and trebles? Also quite present. I really think a flatpicker would have a ball with it; so would someone with a light touch. To me, this guitar basically covers the bases. I'd be willing to put it against almost anything, with a really well-constructed Martin D-35. Even then, a run for the money as they say!

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 11-20-2008, 10:06 AM

Default Ryan Nightingale

Okay so I'm new to the party.
Of course I've known about Ryans through the years but not a whole lot...usually associated with the Cathedral. Anyway heard/saw a Youtube of Joost playing his. Goodness. Of course the playing was great also. I guess he's since sold it. So now I'm extree curious about the models.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
Is a Ryan Nightingale a versatile guitar which can excel at both strumming and fingerstyle? Eg. Euro spruce with IR back.

Any Nightingale owners care to comment?
Absolutely! I need a versatile guitar and that's why I chose the Nightingale which is in between the size of Kevin's Mission (Grand Concert) and Cathedral (Uber Jumbo).

The Nightingale excels at both fingerstyle and strumming and it's no wonder that it's his most popular model by far. Coupled with Euro/EIR it should be a very versatile instrument (I have and will be getting German/Braz and it's very similar to that wood combo)

Hope this helps!

If you get one please share the specs with us
Old 11-20-2008, 11:59 PM

I think the Nightingale might be more versatile than the Cathedral, but I love both. The Cathedral has a more open voice ... sometimes the harmonics are hard to control ... but if you slow down the music a bit, you get some really beautiful voicings.

The Nightingale just loves to jump out at you, very articulate and energetic. Although very responsive to a light touch, I really like playing them hard.

It would be difficult to choose between the two, even though I probably play the Nightingale more often ... but when I want to relax, there's nothing like the Cathedral. When I play the Nightingale, I usually end up sweating and feeling hot.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkstrum View Post
As for me, I'll take my Omega MJ against practically anything. Lower bout of a dread, upper a bit slimmer. Sound? Blow your hair off. Bass? yeah--there in spades; mids and trebles? Also quite present. I really think a flatpicker would have a ball with it; so would someone with a light touch. To me, this guitar basically covers the bases. I'd be willing to put it against almost anything, with a really well-constructed Martin D-35. Even then, a run for the money as they say!
Errr...shouldn't this be on another thread? Fine guitar though the Omega is, the OP was asking about Ryan Nightingale...
Old 11-21-2008, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitarro View Post
Errr...shouldn't this be on another thread? Fine guitar though the Omega is, the OP was asking about Ryan Nightingale...
Um, he did post it about a year and a half ago
Old 11-21-2008, 03:18 AM

Right you are!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion