The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-05-2002, 08:28 PM

Default Ebay sightings

I'm starting to wonder if I should start buying my stuff on Ebay.

There's a 912c going for about a third of what I paid for my 914c.
I remember that jcliff1995 took the admirable leap of faith and ordered a handmade guitar from Tom Prisloe. Well, there's now one on Ebay going for probably less than half of what he paid.

Any thoughts on this from anyone? What's the catch? I find it hard to believe that people are that hard up for money, considering the actual value of these instruments.

Greg
Old 11-05-2002, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

The catch is buyer beware...nothing more than that.

1/3rd of what you paid? Either the reserve has not been met, there is still alot of time left, the guitar is damaged and says so in the description, or you got an awful deal on your 914...any idea which one?

If none of these are true, send me the link

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 11-05-2002, 09:41 PM

Default Hit or Miss

Its been my experience that it really is hit or miss. I've got a case of GAS which is compounded by eBayitis. I bought my first Taylor (99 k14c NOS) using eBay at what still seems to be a very good price-about 1/2 of list price. The guitar is pure silk fortified with steel. I love it more each time I play it. The guitar had some minor shop wear, nothing that is through the finish. You have to be looking. All in all a totally satisfying experience.

However, I just bought a Larrivee OM 09 through a dealer on eBay and it arrived with the dreaded 14th fret hump. The seller "didn't receive emails from me" when I complained within the stated 48 hr approval period. There was no response to my repeated attempts to communicate using email. The seller had been instantly responsive using email during the sale and up until delivery. I probably should have called the store, but wanted to continue the exchange using email since it had been effective and is usually all that is needed when buying/selling on eBay.

He finally contacted me by email when (after a week) I left negative feedback. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt-I still believe most people are inherently good and I know email isn't perfect. However the log from my email server shows "received ok" from his email server so his honesty is still circumspect. He has agreed to work with me and will now even take the guitar back and refund shipping. The email server log still screams "liar", and it's hard to let go of that much money twice on trust. The guitar plays flawlessly other than a buzz/dead high E on the 14th fret. It really is beautiful and otherwise looks shop fresh. There were other minor problems (no warranty papers, wrong size truss rod wrench), but these I can live with. I registered the warranty online at the Larrivee website. I will end up financing the fretboard leveling/partial refrett (or whatever is nece$$ary) myself unless he honors the bill. That's all the trust I have left. Yep, that's it, I'm keeping it, fixing it, but definitely learning my lesson.

Play it before you buy it.
2000 Samick SAN-450 (ES-335 copy just for kicks!)
1989 Fender American Tele
Yamaha Gut-string
Kramer Vanguard w/Original Flloyd Rose

Next????!!!

Last edited by TaylorFirst; 11-05-2002 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:54 PM

I learned a few lessons in my purchase of a fine guitar, but I can't say I regret what I did--I'm still getting used to the idea that it's mine and I can play it whenever I want.

I DO regret posting this thread without being able to find the Ebay items I was complaining about again--should have posted them here first.

As you've all figured out by now, I can be such a tool sometimes. Think I'm gonna go to bed.....
Old 11-05-2002, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Hit or Miss

Quote:
Originally posted by TaylorFirst
However, I just bought a Larrivee OM 09 through a dealer on eBay and it arrived with the dreaded 14th fret hump...
<--|SNIP|-->
...guitar plays flawlessly other than a buzz/dead high E on the 14th fret. It really is beautiful and otherwise looks shop fresh. There were other minor problems (no warranty papers, wrong size truss rod wrench), but these I can live with. I registered the warranty online at the Larrivee website. I will end up financing the fretboard leveling/partial refrett (or whatever is nece$$ary) myself unless he honors the bill. That's all the trust I have left. Yep, that's it, I'm keeping it, fixing it, but definitely learning my lesson.
I just picked up a vintage Epiphone catalog from that seller... had seen (what I now know was) your negative feedback. That's a n-i-c-e looking guitar!! The seller seems to be "in it for the long haul" with 5700 positives (4900 unique, which says there's a FEW repeat buyers!), 23 neutrals, and 16 negatives... really a pretty good record, IMO!! I suspect they will do their best to make things right, to the extent it's "reasonable". If you are the original, warranted owner of the guitar, it seems that Larrivee could be expected to address your issues under the warranty??

Hope it all works out okay... that really IS a purty geetar!!

As for the original post that started this thread... that's the 912c listed by "Superpawn.com" isn't it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=920055988

That's a pretty L=O=W starting amount, with NO reserve. The pics are pretty washed out and "limited", and the description dodges and weaves around the actual condition of the guitar. They have a 30 day return policy though, if the "product fails to work as intended by the manufacturer"... whatever they mean by that! Don't know where the Prisloe is, though...

"Experience is something you get just after you needed it!"
Old 11-05-2002, 10:29 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=920147050

Could have sworn the reserve was posted earlier.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Re: Hit or Miss

Quote:
Originally posted by NdaBoonies

Hope it all works out okay... that really IS a purty geetar!!

Thanks, the Dancer headstock inlay and flamed maple binding are striking!! A visually stunning and vintage feeling guitar. I hope you're right about the seller and hopefully all will be worked out. Even if it isn't though, I can live with it. Really wanted it as a playable heirloom anyway. eBay has its merits for certain items but sometimes is not perfect. There is just such a 'hands on' need when buying a guitar that I don't think I'll make future big ticket guitar buys without a true hands-on test drive.

I think I need to go play now.....
2000 Samick SAN-450 (ES-335 copy just for kicks!)
1989 Fender American Tele
Yamaha Gut-string
Kramer Vanguard w/Original Flloyd Rose

Next????!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification