The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-05-2002, 11:40 AM

Default Has Taylor ever experimented with cherry as a tone wood?

Just curious, I know Seagull uses it in a laminate form on many of the guitars that people in these parts seem to like...

'93 LKSM 12

Gone:
'05 Avalon 101ce
'03 410r '91 815c '96 412M '00 614 '01 Big Baby '00 310KCE
'98 510ce
Old 11-05-2002, 11:49 AM

I know cerry ia popular with dulcumers but I don't know
about guitars and why not?
Old 11-05-2002, 12:25 PM

Martin has started incorporating cherry into their line. My guess is that BobT has experimented with ust about every type of wood they can find.

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 11-05-2002, 02:19 PM

I remember asking this question something like a year ago ....

2002 614LTD
2001 810ce sans c
Old 11-05-2002, 02:49 PM

Martin started using cherry as part of their Smart Wood series, which is poised to take advantage of plentiful domestic wood as an alternative to endangered foreign wood, and certified by some organization as being ecologically sound, or something like that. I don't say that as ridicule, but simply because I can't remember the details. Personally, I think the SW series is a great idea, and the one model I played (a 16 series dread, if memory serves) was pretty good.

However, I don't think you'll see cherry on standard Martins anytime soon unless it catches the public's ear. It is used as back and top wood on mountain dulcimers, but for the most part, its use in instruments has been more in structure than tone, like the frames of folk harps and hammered dulcimers. Some HD builders use it for bridges as well, but I've never seen a cherry soundboard or back.

I say all of this strictly from observation, knowing next to nothing about cherry's viability as a tonewood. Pure opinion: I think one of the things that works against it is that it's very plain looking, kind of like unfigured maple with a medium brown color. It's a pretty enough shade, but from what I've seen, it wouldn't make you look twice.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:33 PM

Default Some neat Guitars

Wallace Guitars, a small builder in the Knoxville are, I think, makes some beautiful guitars that are a little different then the norm in some cases.

At CAAS, a couple years ago, they had a Cedar guitar that was beautiful and they used purple heart wood for the fretboard.

He also makes Nylon string, and Telecaster style guitars that are outstanding.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:47 AM

I have some publication that featured the Taylors and there were four, maybe five guitars on the cover. I think one of them was cherry. One was definitely pau ferro. They were all out of the ordinary woods. I'll rummage around and see if I can find it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification