The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-05-2002, 08:21 AM

Default Question about 12-string guitars and pickups

Well, it appears this was one of the "lost threads" from the crash. I'll try again. I'm guessing that so many people responded at the same time that the server couldn't handle the load. Yeah, that's it.

Anyway...I've recently been getting reaquainted with my trusty '83 Sigma 12-string. It's all I played for 14 years till I got my Taylor. Since then, it's been "resting". I've been playing it a lot lately (a LOT!) and I've decided that the reason I haven't played it more is that it doesn't have a pickup, and I do most of my playing plugged in. So, I need to remedy that.

Are there any special issues I need to consider when selecting a pickup for a 12-string? Tone? Saddle width?

For instance, I'm considering pulling the LR Baggs out of my 410 (I want to try a B-Band or K&K in the 410). Could I just put it in the 12-string?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--jam
Old 11-05-2002, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

The pup you want to take out of the 410 may be too short. Is the saddle length the same on both guitars? I would guess the 12 string is a little longer.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:01 AM

If you're going for an undersaddle transducer, you need to make sure it's long enough for the 12-string, and that it's a film-type element so that you don't need to worry about string spacing. You also need to find one of the correct width. These days most saddles are 1/8" thick, but 3/32" used to be more common, and the wrong width won't fit or work properly.

I recently installed a Fishman Rare Earth Blend (mag/mic combo) in my 355 after loving the results in my 714, and it works great, but it's an expensive pickup and probably more than you want to spend on your Sigma.

If the relative tone of the pickup doesn't matter too much, try one of the less expensive soundhole mag pickups. Fishman makes two Rare Earth models without the mic for less, and they also have a passive model called the Neo-D that's under $100. There are also a few other mag pickups in the same price range from Seymour Duncan and Dean Markley.

If you want a more natural sound, consider a soundboard transducer like the B-Band AST or Baggs I-Beam. It's a lot easier to install than an undersaddle pickup, and concerns about saddle width and length are eliminated. All you'll need to worry about with these models is whether there's enough room on the bridge plate for them, and you can find that out by loosening the strings and holding a mirror inside to have a look.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:00 PM

Actually, Chris, relative tone matters a ton. Believe it or not, this old Sigma has incredible tone. I have a soundhole type pickup, but don't use it because the whole sound of the guitar is lost.

I hadn't thought about the width issue. The only size option I've ever noticed for saddle pickups had to do with string spacing. I didn't know they came in different lengths.

Thanks for the info guys. This is the kind of info I'm fishing for.

--jam

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification