The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-05-2002, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by trombone
The world doesn't truly need Playstations, Disneyland, monster truck rallys, romance novels, or soda pop.
I need my soda pop! (except we would NEVER call it "soda pop" in South Carolina)

Come on by and I'll getcha a Coke.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:37 AM
AGF Bouncer

I think that's the way it is in the South in general.

Back home in New Orleans, it's either a "Coke, Sprite, Orange or Red Drink."

I'm not kidding.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:26 AM

In Canada we call it pop. Though I find the word rather silly, its the only one that sounds right to me.

Regarding expensive guitars. I'm a lefty so to buy off the rack is either the fender DG~? whatever or special order something. I justify my nice acoustics because most often they sound and record nicer than cheaper ones and theres a certain tactile feeling that adds to the musical experience when holding something flawless and finely crafted. If anything it may make me feel that mine and its limits are higher and keeping me striving to better my playing.

Theres also different kinds of expensive instruments in my eyes. There are good guitars made seemingly great by higher series numbers and eye candy. And there are exceptional instruments to be had if one puts those same eye candy bucks into the actual guitar itself. Thats why Seagulls whip those glossed up abaloned Deans all the time.

Another analogy, you have $20,000 to spend on a watch in either gold or stainless steel. Which one is gonna be a better crafted piece?...steel or course because it needs other means of justifying its price other than the fancy materials involved.

Derek
Old 11-05-2002, 07:56 AM

I am definitely the oddball here, having owned only two steel string guitars EVER (not counting the Taylor 510ceab I had to part with after only 2 months due to a repair issue).

Why I played the laminate Epiphone and only the Epiphone for 21 years I really can't explain. I even played it professionally, and now don't consider it to sound good enough to even use as a spare. I have had this great 510ce for 4 years. I borrow a friends Martin when the Taylor is in the shop.

I am getting ready to sell my Peavy T-60 electric guitar and am having serious guilt pangs over it. I bought a Strat recently so it isn't like I will be without an electric. And I have owned the Peavy for 20 years and never really liked it, too heavy- though it has a nice sound.
Sigh. Gotta buy my son a guitar for Christmas and finish this CD, and I can't justify keeping it when someone else could enjoy it so much more. It is a dead instrument if noone plays it, right?

Sigh... yep, I am selling it, but not enjoying this feeling... my Dad gave it to me when I was 15...but of course I have the Ephiphone for sentiments sake...folks, I have never sold a guitar. I'm not liking it. Every guitar I ever bought, I bought to keep, never to trade in, and I still own every guitar I ever owned in my life. And that # is 6. Beater classical, Alvarez classical, Epiphone, Taylor, Strat and Peavey. I am not backing out on the sale, but I feel like a traitor to my Peavey or something. Anyone else feel this way? Am I crazy?
Old 11-05-2002, 09:06 AM

Bagelsgirl: Nope, you're not alone. All the guitars I've ever owned (like, 5) are still owned by me or someone in my extended family. I dearly love my beater guitar, and after years of putting off buying a 'real' guitar, I'll almost certainly own my 415 for the rest of my life. At some point I also want a small-bodied guitar to complement it (like a 00-17...), but that'll just be icing on the cake. I'll keep that next one forever too, but that'll be enough. (Put it this way, if and when my Taylor ever limits me as a musician, I'll let y'all know.)

But then, I'm kinda that way with cars, too. My brothers and I cycled through two vehicles for about 10 years, and they were named after their colors: The '71 Valiant was Blue Al Cindor, and the '83 Century was Cream Abdul Jabaar. I still miss those cars, but since then I've become attached to the '93 Camry that my then-girlfriend bought before we got engaged (I would never have bought a new car, and looking back, she was adjusting for that). There is no sense moving on from the Camry until it at least gives a HINT of being unreliable - which is still a very long way off. Granted, I don't miss making monthly payments, but it's way more than that, call it loyalty, gratitude...
Old 11-05-2002, 09:55 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Bagelsgirl,

When I look at my guitars, I remember the experiences and the gigs they've been through with me. I remember how long I had to save to buy them. I, too, don't typically buy temporary guitars. I did have a few cheapies at the beginning of my playing.

I've got two now which have become unplayable (or nearly so) after thirty years of good service. I'm holding on to them to use as decorations on the walls of the music room I'm hoping and praying for in the future. One is my first, given to me by my parents. So I know how you feel...

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification