The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-17-2017, 04:08 PM

Default Six Steps to Finger Style Blues in E

I just wanted to share a great free set of lessons that I found on Youtube from David Hamburger on how to play and improve finger style blues in E. He takes things step by step and takes the approach of teaching you little blocks that can be mixed and matched to allow you to improvise and enjoy playing blues in E. Really great series:

https://youtu.be/_Yg-YT0Wb7Y
Old 12-17-2017, 05:22 PM

Thanks. Looks good.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Thank's for posting this. I went through lesson 1 this morning an I took notes as it went along. Then I played through it a few times. It's nice that it's little licks that you can play in any order. And they are very easy to remember.

I just came home again and played through everything, not totally smoothly, and I could remember it all, nice!
Old 12-18-2017, 10:34 AM

Excellent series. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-18-2017, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the link...I like David Hamburger's style of teaching and I'm looking forward to digging into it...
Old 12-19-2017, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

I'll check this out later, thanks. I have a TrueFire lesson of his as well.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-22-2017, 06:20 PM

This is a great series, his teaching style is at the right pace and he carefully explains the right and left hand techniques.

Thanks for posting.

G
Old 12-22-2017, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Hamburger is so cool, he would have made a good jazz DJ back in the day. I'm still working on getting my groove going!
Old 12-22-2017, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

I started watching this series. That second one is the information I get sidetracked with all the time. I'll start playing the inversions and then improving and lose track of time and forget about what video I'm watching. I have to stay focused. This is good stuff. Toby Walker has a lot of stuff like this as well. I could get lost for half a year with the key of E, lol.

The only problem I have with these sort of videos is that they'll take something, for example, like drawing three dots on a piece of paper, in a triangle, 4 inches apart and then proceed to tell you how to hold the pencil so you don't break the point, keep your hand on the right angle so you don't block your vision, how to hold the ruler so you can make a straight line.... Its the explanation of the everyday, mundane things that we all do in an instant that makes me lose interest and skip ahead.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 12-22-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I started watching this series. That second one is the information I get sidetracked with all the time. I'll start playing the inversions and then improving and lose track of time and forget about what video I'm watching. I have to stay focused. This is good stuff. Toby Walker has a lot of stuff like this as well. I could get lost for half a year with the key of E, lol.

The only problem I have with these sort of videos is that they'll take something, for example, like drawing three dots on a piece of paper, in a triangle, 4 inches apart and then proceed to tell you how to hold the pencil so you don't break the point, keep your hand on the right angle so you don't block your vision, how to hold the ruler so you can make a straight line.... Its the explanation of the everyday, mundane things that we all do in an instant that makes me lose interest and skip ahead.
But what is mundane and easy to one person is hard for someone else.
I really appreciate the detail; you can always skip ahead if you know how to do that bit. There's nothing more frustrating than someone doing something which isn't explained and which you can't figure out how to reproduce.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write