The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-01-2002, 07:26 PM
meridian

Default Babyface Martin Sig

Stevie Wonder and Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds are on VH1 right now on American Bandstand's 50th.

We were discussing recently why Babyface has a signature Martin. Well, he's on right now and he's playing a GIBSON!!

Go figure!
Old 11-01-2002, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

I wonder how many of these stars are really true to the company they get endorsements from.

Speaking from the point of someone who has been around numerous professional golfers, I'm aware of how their contracts with club manufacturers vary, usually to include the use of a driver and some specified number of clubs with the sponsor's name on them, not to mention the bag. The player usually won't agree to use a specific putter or wedge, but will more often use irons from their manufacturer. Some have sets and others have very few if any of the clubs made by the company whose name they appear to promote. Some have custom made sets with no resemblance to the manufacturer's actual line, but they have the manufacturer's name stamped onto it.

Are performers the same way? Would an instrument manufacturer hold a musician to some sort of contract that he or she had to use such and such a brand of guitar? Would a company build an acoustic guitar for one of their artists to the specifications of some other manufacturer's guitar, to satisfy the artist and maintain their name on it?

Old 11-01-2002, 11:19 PM
meridian

Just watching him play a little and I realize that he is lefty (obvious) but plays a righty guitar upside down -- high E string under his thumb, low E under his pinky.

Does McCartney do that, too?? Other famous lefties who couldn't find or afford a real left-handed guitar when they were learning growing up. Just wonderin'
Old 11-02-2002, 09:16 AM

Meridian - I didn't even know Babyface could play the guitar. Well, I figured he could when I saw Martin gave him a sig model. Is he any good?

-Chris
Old 11-02-2002, 11:06 AM
meridian

Quote:
Originally posted by chtaylo2
Is he any good?
He duets with Clapton on "Change The World." Plays with Stevie Wonder.

Good enough for Eric & Stevie, good enough for Martin = good enough for me!

Although I haven't heard him a whole lot.
Old 11-02-2002, 10:39 PM

There's an acoustic Babyface song from the late '90s called "When Can I See You". I learned to play the song and can honestly say that the song would be easier to play upside down (there are one or two chord structures that can be a little tricky ...). Otherwise, if you haven't heard it; it's a great song (I'm kinda a romantic ... Mom instilled that thought process in me and big bro ....). Also, the man is a talented singer/songwriter/producer; some of his songs really hit home with me (he also wrote "Water Runs Dry" that Boyz II Men had on their II album).

2002 614LTD
2001 810ce sans c
Old 11-02-2002, 10:44 PM

Michael Card plays like that. Backwards. . . uh, upside down. . . uh, whatever you call that. Lefty on a righty??? And he finger picks. . . in alt tunings. . . drives me CRAZY trying to play his songs!
Old 11-03-2002, 02:50 AM

before his untimely death, Kurt Cobain from Nirvana played lefty as well...saw his Unplugged performance on MTV a few days ago. it's a shame he's gone....really talented individual.
Old 11-03-2002, 08:30 AM

I guess I never understood how/why Babyface has a signature Martin guitar. After all, he's knows as a songwriter/producer of R&B music. I can't say that I've ever heard him play guitar.

-Chris
Old 11-03-2002, 01:09 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

The story I heard was Baby Face (come on here fellas, can't we use regular names anymore?) was doing a project with Eric Clapton, heard Erics "signature" model Martin, thought it sounded pretty good, started talking about the Martin "signature" program, and Eric called up the folks at Martin to see if his pal "Babyface" (sheesh) could have a sig model to. (This may be simplifying the story a bit, but the idea is the same). NOw, if only somebody could explain the "Lonnie Donnigan" model (oh yeah I want at guitar with "skiffle" inlaid in huge letters across the FB and a rat inlaid in the headstock )
Old 11-05-2002, 04:54 AM

Its simply a way of getting an endorsement for which the artist receives virtually no compensation, I believe they get the first two or three guitars plus a small sales percentage going to a charity of their choice. Theres few that are more than just standard models with a few cosmetic changes and huge upcharge. Martin has gone way overboard with this, even Taylor isn't completely innocent, Lets see, Chris Proctor, Jewel, Doyle Dykes, Leo Kottke, Kenny Loggins, Dan Crary, Clint Black. Its easy to see which are more in the realm of tribute models rather than sig models. All nice guitars but certain ones seem to be built with different motivations in mind.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification