The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-03-2002, 11:43 PM

Default I held my ground pretty well..

Last friday nite was my first solo guitar gig in front of about 100 people. In another post I made the comment that my attitude about stage fright had drastically changed recently for the better. I had no proof of that statement since I hadn't tested it out in front of an audience. Well, friday nite was my moment of truth in that regards and my gut knowledge was correct. I was anxious in two ways. Anxious in a stomach-butterflies kind of way but even more anxious in an eager, "lets get it on" way. The real test came as I was playing "Timberline". That tune has a single note descending run with a 16th note triplet feel to it. The run covers all six strings. I've played it enough to have confidence in myself to get through it. This time, however, I flubbed it. Right there in front of everybody. I swear to you, I literally heard a voice in my head say "they forgive you. Show 'em what that run sounds like on the next pass". And I did. Nailed the sucker dead-on when it came up again.
I even got the nerve up to sing "Nine Pound Hammer". I'm not a singer by any stretch but it seemed to add a nice variation and the audience recieved it well. Nobody requested me to sing anymore songs, I noticed ;-)
Had a great time and am actively looking for another gig.

For all of you folks that suffer stage fright to a high degree: Forget about focusing on *yourself* as much as possible and determine to yourself that you will make the audience respect the *music* as much as is in your ability. Let go of the rest of it.
Thats what is working for me.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:02 AM

Nerves kept me from playing for many many years. Not that I was simpy nervous...i think more to the point...I put to much expectation on myself....and I over-estimated the audience ability to actually notice mistakes.

I remember one of the first times I played in a club...on an open stage in front of a large crowd. With the house band backing my buddy and I....we played a bunch of old rock n roll standards.

I felt like I had boxing gloves on...and there was a river of sweat flowing down my back...into the my but-crack...LOL.

But...I survived. And...after many gigs where people would come up and say...." I loved that song...(fill in the blanks) that you guys played "....and it was something we buthchered...

I realized, most people who are not musicians, really don't hear music like we do.

So...glad the gig went well!
Old 11-04-2002, 02:43 AM

The 'boxing glove' analogy is a good one! A lot of us can relate to it.
Let me ask you, Utah, how long did it take for you to get comfortable enough on stage to play a tune *close* to the way you play it when alone? I emphasize the word 'close' because even with my newfound courage on stage, it still didn't match my back-porch playing. Hopefully, it will in time (not including competitions, where hardly anyone plays at their normal level).

>I realized, most people who are not musicians, really don't hear music like we do.<

True, very true.

>So...glad the gig went well!<

Thank you very much.
Old 11-04-2002, 03:21 AM
jim022

I am due to play my first live gig at the London Marathon in April, for a charity. You're thoughts help give me an insight as to how I should appraoch the situation, thanks! I was thinking the best thing would be to try and not worry about mistakes, if they happen then just let them pass by - I know it may not be as intense and anxiety enducing as stage playing, but the possible audience is huge, including the odd TV cameras sneaking about. Any further tips?! Jim
Old 11-04-2002, 04:23 AM

Jim022, when I was told there were 100 people in the audience I thought it was a joke. Seemed more like 500 to me! So I don't think the size of the audience would affect my playing that much anymore. That may not be true for everyone, though.

I now believe there are two attributes required to settle down in front of an audience of any size: 1)you must respect and enjoy sharing the music 2)and you must enjoy drawing attention to yourself. That sounds egotistic, I know, but I'll admit I enjoyed looking out at the audience and seeing so many eyes looking at me. I even felt some displeasure at those folks who weren't looking or listening to the music. That may sound the opposite of my advice of "forget about focusing on yourself" but I don't think it is. The reason, the *only* reason, for the gig is to share music with other people. Those folks didn't come to see/hear *me*, they came to hear music itself. The more I can get their attention my way, the better they'll listen to the music. At the same time, I do believe there is indeed an egotisic element in musical performance. It should not be the dominant element, however. The music is the message, we are merely the messenger.

I think you'll like the charity crowd. They will be less critical or demanding than would a paying crowd. Also less attentive, I think. Let your respect for your music be felt and they'll respect it, too. It doesn't really matter whether or not any of them thinks you're "good". I much rather prefer them to respect my music. The "good" part can take care of itself if its there. If not...<shrug>

Best of luck to you. I'd be interested to hear how it goes for you.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:51 AM

My dream is to play in a bar where they throw hot wings at you JW
Old 11-04-2002, 05:58 AM

As a musician and an audience member let me say the following. I don't always focus on how many times someone flubbs a piece so long as they communicate the feel and emotion (redunant?) of the song. Grew up here in the beantown area. Where the Berkley thing was such a big deal. I found for the most part the school actually ruined more guitarists than it helped. Saw people focusing way too much on the complexity of pieces instead of playing with heart and soul. I am more forgiving if the guitarist is playing a simple piece with heart and making a few mistakes that most others won't hear. Some great advice though. Play in front of friends and family as much as possible.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:01 AM

I've been performing in front of people since I was 15. I've found throughout the years that the more people there are in the crowd, the less personable it becomes and the easier it is to just perform. Often I perform at coffee shops with 15-50 people
who all come to listen. As an artist you love that people
actually come to listen, but still to this day it puts a tingle in my belly.
As far as making a flub, I agree-most people never know unless there are fellow musicians in the audience, and that in itself
adds another whole level of nervousness playing for your peers.
My wife says she never hears when I flub, but that I give away my
secret by smiling.
All I can say is no matter how much you perform, if you're no longer getting the butterflies you better check your pulse!

Never let 'em see you fret (no pun intended)
Keep smilin'

Chris
Old 11-04-2002, 10:12 AM

How long did it take me to get over the nervousness....

about two beers...LOL!

A couple of thoughts though. A lot of it does depends on the venue. Some venues....well, you just don't worry as much. Say, at a wedding gig...cause you figure....everyone will be smashed...or more preoccupied with the bride and groom. Although, wedding gigs are the worst for having everyone requesting dumb songs you don't know.

On the other hand....playing in clubs always made me more nervous. One...because they were usually a "paying" audience....and two, because some clubs have a lot of pedigree.

For example, the Rainbow Bistro, where I have played in Ottawa, Canada many times....has had many many great and well known musicians grace the stage.

It's a little intimidating to be tuning up backstage...and see the names of some of the greatsn who have passed through... and signed up on the wall. Everyone from KD Lange to Jeff Healey....Amanda Marshall...T-Bone Burnett...Albert King...that type of thing.

And the thought...."What the hell am I doing here"....will cross my mind.

But...once onstage the nerves settle...and away you go.

As for making mistakes....yes....always a big smile.

The regular folks think...."ah...he's having fun"...and the musicians in the crowd think..." yep...his laughing...but at least he knows he blew that one "

I remember playing " Taking care of Business " one night. It starts with a big thundering guitar riff....which I was playing two frets too low....LOL. The band came in on cue...and in key...and as I looked up in horror....they were all cracking up!

But...for a few seconds there....it sounded awfull. But, I lived to tell the tale.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification