The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-05-2012, 09:17 AM

Default Thinking about buying my first Mandolin advice

I am thinking about buying a Fender FM52E Mandolin for 100 bucks.

Is that a good deal it is used. I don't know about mandolins much but can play a few chords or whatever on them.

It comes w a hardshell case and all.

Would you do it or not ?? Are they any good or is it crappy ?
Old 04-05-2012, 03:37 PM

Are they worth 100 bucks or buying
Old 04-06-2012, 02:28 AM

Haven't tried the FM52E, but I own a FM100 and although it was cheap, I enjoy it. A lot. Probably not the best mandolin in the world, but I'm not the greatest player either.

Now; I don't have a clue how it will sound plugged in, but let's face it. For a hundred bucks, you could probably resell it without loss if it doesn't work for you.

I would however ask the fine men, and women, over at mandolincafe.com for their advice, as they know way more than I do about mandolins. They might even be able to point you in the direction of something better in the same pricerange, but at a hundred bucks, I doubt it.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:12 AM

Considering it is about $250 new, $100 with a case sounds like a good deal, as long as there is nothing wrong with the instrument and it is playable. If you get it, let us know how you like it!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:35 PM

Haven't gotten it yet still thinking about it would y'all do it ?
Old 04-12-2012, 09:32 AM

I don't know how good the Fender mandos are, but you can get a Kentucky, low-end model, for around $200-250, new. I bought a Kentucky KM-150S from a friend for $185, and it's a very good mandolin, especially for a starter. Kentucky has a good reputation even for it's bottom of the line mandos so you really can't go wrong with one. They should be available used maybe for even less. Check out the classifieds on the Mandolin Cafe. They often have good, inexpensive starter mandolins there.

Jack
Old 09-16-2012, 12:32 PM

I have owned several Kentucky mandos and they have all been great value and good quality.

Two of my friends own Fender mandolins which I have played. IMHO, mandolins are certainly not Fender's strength. I would not personally consider buying one even though I love their guitars and their ukuleles are ok.
Squier Classic Vibe Strat
Old 09-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Thinking about buying my first Mandolin advice

Personally I would pass on the Fender and save a little more for a mando with at least a solid top. If you do buy the Fender make sure to get it setup correctly by a professional. At this level, it's more important to have a good setup than it is to have the absolute best tone.

Todd

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments