The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2008, 08:14 AM

Tee1up hasn't posted yet. Either he has a tee time at the golf course this morning or he is still playing his new Taylor.

Hopefully when he decides to post his fingers aren't too sore to type!

http://www.in2guitar.com/

Taylor 914CE

Stonebridge gs 23 cr

Old 10-19-2008, 03:00 PM

i just paid xxx for my ga3. compared to the d15s that sells for xxxx i just sold and the larrivee d 03 that goes for xxxx now, best deal on the market

Last edited by cotten; 10-20-2008 at 04:01 PM. Reason: AGF Rule 2 in FAQ: no guitar price discussion
Old 10-20-2008, 12:56 AM

Wink Two Days later - With My New 714ce

With the exception of spending way too much time in the stores trying out everything with a string, I don't have a lot of guitar experience under my belt. I now have about 16 hours of playing on this guitar and quite frankly every time I put it down it just seems to jump back into my hands. Both finger style and picking are just a joy.

Originally when I started shopping I really wanted to find something for under $1000 and so when this guitar crossed my path there were a lot of deep swallows thinking how I would deal with the credit card bill when it came. Those worries are gone and yes, I will be going to the Supermarket with a knife and fork in my back pocket for the next month or two

I was not sure what to make of Elixir strings at first but after some playing time I do really like them and plan to keep this guitar loaded with fresh ones when needed.

Sunday morning I took it over to a friends place and had a chance to plug it in...sounds beautiful with an amp. I heard that Taylor's electronics were good but until you get friendly with an amp and no distractions, you don't appreciate it.

I want to thank everyone on this forum for your comments and suggestions. Everything was bang on accurate and you made 2008 a very good year for me.

Best Regards,

Darrell (Tee)

PS. It really doesn't hurt that it looks pretty sitting in a stand either.
Now I just have to name it.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Are you allowing for inflation? I bought an 814c in 1996 for an amount that, when adjusted for inflation, very nearly equals the street price of an 814ce today minus the price of the Expression System. In fact, the GA8 is significantly less expensive, today, than my 814c was 12 years ago.

$1,000 dollars in 1995 is the equivalent of between $1,348 and $1,360 in 2007.
+1 on this, enough said.

I own a guitar.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee1up View Post
Those worries are gone and yes, I will be going to the Supermarket with a knife and fork in my back pocket for the next month or two
I want to thank everyone on this forum for your comments and suggestions. Everything was bang on accurate and you made 2008 a very good year for me.
Now I just have to name it.

Congrats on your guitar Darrell, I'm sure you will be in love for many years to come. Not sure I understand the knife and fork comment -- do you mean for eating free samples?

Please continue to hang out here on the forum even though you've got your answer about what guitar is right for you -- I have found this place continually informative and helpful, and just plain fun.

And when you get around to naming her, let us know. I still haven't done that with my new GS8!
Taylor GA8 Sitka/EIR
Reverend '21 Charger 290
Gibson '03 Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash
Fender '94 American Std Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Baritone Telecaster

Many are gone but not forgotten...some are just forgotten
Old 10-21-2008, 03:09 AM

Are taylors overpriced? No I dont think so, especially when you compare it to other brands in the upper range market. The fit and finish and QC that taylor has is unbeatable (imho of course).

A few other options- Breedlove, played them over the summer, and I found the bass a bit overwhelming (i like the shiny highs on acoustics...like the 614s), but they are fine instruments. Also martin has some in about the same range, but a totally different feel on the neck, and a different sound. maybe different is your thing, but Im a taylor guy. If your looking cheaper, takamines are awesome guitars for the money, and they last forever.

my 2 cents
Old 10-22-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lossforgain View Post
Not sure I understand the knife and fork comment -- do you mean for eating free samples?
You had it right...although I was being a bit facetious. I managed to stay of cigarettes for a year so this guitar was my reward. Great forum, great people here.

D.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:42 PM

Hey Tee1up,

Congrats on the 714ce! Beautiful guitar, ain't she???
TGF #66

2008 Taylor 714ce
2008 Taylor 914ce (mine but on a temporary "loan" to my dad )
1999 Taylor 310 9906100xx ex-owner
1999 Taylor 310 9911310xx ex-owner

Eu sou brasileiro-coreano com muito orgulho!
Old 10-22-2008, 05:10 PM

I love Taylor's. After playing a Taylor I never turned back and actually now would not want to play any other company because of Taylor's exceptional playability and sound. But that said, I do think Taylor's are over priced... so what now? Well The used guitar market is amazing and you find deals like none other. Except for my first Taylor, all the other 4 are used, which wound up saving me at the very least $4000... yes really. And they look almost brand new. See my post (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=137986)
The best part of it all was that I like the older wood (mid, late 90's - 2002) more then the brand new models out on the market. And though I know you aren't looking for electronics, I like the old Fishman systems (pre 2003) more then the new Expression system.

So I would say - go to a guitar shop and play a few models, find what you like, and then go online, you can get the same guitar for much less. Worried about buying guitar you never heard? you did hear it - in the store - Taylor is a high end company and I promise you they make quality year round, every year.

www.ReasonsBe.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion