The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 07:58 PM

Default 30 year old

If it is equal condition to something else that is perfectly acceptable for the price though younger, 30 years or any other age would not be a concern for me. You could make the argument that any problems that were gong to happen should have surfaced by now. To be fair, you could also argue that the older something gets, the greater the likelihood of something happening.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:02 PM

Enough of the right kind of photos should tell you quite a lot.

I wouldn’t buy my one again based on decent photos, but I didn’t know anything back then.

Have you actually spoken to the seller ?
Old 10-16-2017, 09:26 PM

Last time I bought a 12-string it was over 40 years old.

1973 Guild F-212.

Only thing that would give me pause on the the one being considered is I simply don't know a thing about the Japanese licensed built guitars.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-16-2017, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

I would... assuming the seller advertises it as 'in good-great playing order. If that's the case, then it is probably worth the drive to see it in person and take a very close look.

I have a 12 string, built by Mark Angus (#58), built in 1983... it is an AMAZINGLY stable instrument! I even have used 12's on it (in 12 string gauge, that's medium?) for the past 6 or 7 years, without issue... AND I keep it tuned to standard pitch (which many people will say not to do...). I have taken it with me on road trips lasting 3 days, through cold, wet, sun and heat, and it will STAY IN TUNE! Mark only built this one, in all these years he's been building...

My point is, it's a great playing, looking and sounding instrument. Even compared to a Taylor, it plays very easily with a nice low action, and there's still plenty of room on the saddle (precluding a neck reset).

If a guitar IS in great shape and it has lasted for 30 years, it seems likely to last a bunch longer without giving you any trouble...

...and you can always contact Lowden for futhter information about the guitar, regarding any build issues or problems that folks may have had, way back when it was first built.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-16-2017, 10:00 PM

As long as it doesn’t look like this, then you’re fine.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:34 PM

If you're troubled by the proposition based on the concerns you've expressed to the point where you're asking for outside opinions then the answer should be clear: pass. Asking others who have similar interests is to simply seek enablement.

FWIW I was gifted with a 40 year old Epiphone FT-160N by my elderly mother. She knows nothing about guitars but knows that I love them and it's my guess that she Romanticized this guitars age into an assumption that it was an worth something. Much as I would love to say that I was appreciative of the gift though, the guitar is made of cheap materials and is in an unplayable condition. Its bolt on/tongue in groove neck construction is constructed in such a way that the result of decades of tension pulled the internal neck block out of place and deformed the top both at the bridge and where the fingerboard extension projects into the soundhole. To have it repaired would cost more than the instrument is worth.

I will concede that I know nothing about Lowdens other than they are held in high esteem here and that my Epiphone is probably vastly inferior in workmanship and design but really, without investing the time and fuel to travel so far to simply look at it with your own (assumably) indistinguishing eyes you are essentially taking a gamble with only the words of others to sway your decision. Do your homework and request more information and images from the seller using the advice you have here as a guide, but I'd strongly caution that you should be prepared to walk away. Unless this is something that you're really longing for, I don't see the worth in buying it.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:25 PM

I wouldn't buy a 30 year old 12-string ..... but only because I already have one. And it's great. Plays like a dream, and sounds as good as (or better than) the day I bought it in 1980.
1986 Squire Fat Strat (Korean)
2004 Gibson Les Paul Classic
2007 Fender Standard Stratocaster (Mexican Strat)
2010 Guild F-47rc (Purchased in 2012)
2013 Home-made Stratocasters (x2)
2017 Martin GPCRSG
Old 10-16-2017, 11:48 PM

30 year?
How bout 40 year?

A couple years back I bought a 1977 Guild F-212 XL.
XL means it has an extra large 17" lower bout.

Guilds back then were built like tanks, especially their 12s with 2 truss rods.
It's kept up to pitch and the neck, bridge, soundboard, and action are all perfect.

I am lucky and thrilled to have it!

Last edited by Tico; 10-17-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:38 AM

I own a close to 80-year old jumbo 12 string. Did not pay a fortune for it though - it was found sticking out of a trash bin.

Guys I know though install a JDL Bridge Doctor in older 12 strings even if it does not need it at that moment. They are not expensive and easy to install. A bit of preventive medicine can go a long way.

Last edited by zombywoof; 10-17-2017 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:55 AM

Get lots of photos and talk to the seller. Though I did have the back up that it was from a small shop, rather than a private individual, a couple of years ago, I did just that and bought my '69 Gibson B45-12 without playing it. No regrets.

As for this being a Japanese Lowden, I've never read anything bad about them. I don't believe George Lowden changed the design, so can't think that such a guitar wouldn't last: I don't recall ever hearing of a Lowden with any sort of structural failure.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

In short, yes I would buy a 30 year old 12 string, without hesitation.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Can get a great deal on an 80s Lowden S22 12-string. According to Lowden's site, this guitar was built around 1982/83. It was built under license from George Lowden by the S Yairi Nagoya workshop in Japan. It was built to Lowden's design. These were made from all solid woods as opposed to the ones made later in the K Yairi shop. About 6000 Lowdens were crafted in this workshop between 1980 and 1985.

The sellers says it's in great condition but I would have to travel 5 hours in order to check it out. I'm really on the fence on whether I want to go to that much trouble. Would you even consider a 12 string that old?
I have a Lowden G7-12C that I bought around '84 or '85. It was made in Japan. It is a sweet sounding guitar and the craftsmanship is very good.

The top cracked about 10 years ago. (I had it repaired.) I don't blame the top crack on Lowden. I really abused the guitar. (I was an Army Chaplain when I bought it. I took the guitar everywhere in all kinds of conditions . . . including rain, sleet, and snow.)
Old 10-17-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Can get a great deal on an 80s Lowden S22 12-string. According to Lowden's site, this guitar was built around 1982/83...

The sellers says it's in great condition but I would have to travel 5 hours in order to check it out. I'm really on the fence on whether I want to go to that much trouble. Would you even consider a 12 string that old?
Probably more often than not an Older 12 will have neck alignment issues, however, based upon my own experience(Alvarez 12 string), some 12s still remain free of neck and bridge problems, even down the road.

Obviously, 12s go wacky earlier than do 6 strings in this regard, and ten hours of driving leaves little time for pleasantries, but provided you and your car can afford the trip, I say, go for it. It very well could be a helluva guitar.
Good luck,
Larry

Last edited by Elroy Bean; 10-17-2017 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Brevity
Old 10-17-2017, 08:55 AM

My '71 F-312NT Guild 12 string is frickin' PERFECT!
Old 10-17-2017, 09:00 AM

I prefer newer 12 String guitars due to the forces on them. But I'm not afraid to buy one that I can play and inspect.

If you can play it first or get a money back guarantee if they ship it and you don't like it then I'd give it a shot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion