The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-15-2017, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Don't feel bad Methos. Even though I haven't touched nearly the amount of CF you have, I dressed the Captain all up nice, gave him a chuckle, and even promoted his favorite capo. I didn't make the cut either
Apparently, I will have to write an "Omissions and Errors" epilogue to this tale! I don't recall being "dressed up all nice," but there were a couple days this last week (after the dentist) that I credited my outfits and demeanor to The Blonde's care. I may have missed any help she had.

For the record, I played the X7 today... didn't use a capo.

OK, anyone else who wasn't named in "the saga," please know that almost every participant here is a delight. This is one of my favorite places on the internet and it is because of the shared experience.

What? "Almost every"?? I just wanted to see if anyone is reading that close. This sub-forum is great!
Old 10-15-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Apparently, I will have to write an "Omissions and Errors" epilogue to this tale! I don't recall being "dressed up all nice," but there were a couple days this last week (after the dentist) that I credited my outfits and demeanor to The Blonde's care. I may have missed any help she had.

For the record, I played the X7 today... didn't use a capo.

OK, anyone else who wasn't named in "the saga," please know that almost every participant here is a delight. This is one of my favorite places on the internet and it is because of the shared experience.

What? "Almost every"?? I just wanted to see if anyone is reading that close. This sub-forum is great!
Great writing, Jim. You are a blessing around here.

As the "newbie" in the forum, I'm honored to have been mentioned in your commentary! I've been a serious guitarist since about, oh 1967, and will admit to being very particular about tone and playability.

And can't wait to receive the Amber X7 that someone (anyone, Bry perhaps?) else passed by on Emerald's website. Your X7 remarks have convinced me that the X7 just may be "the ticket" answering my desires to curling up in a recliner and playing a very compact guitar!

I'm still ecstatic over the tone and playability of my RainSong CH-OM1100NS - it sounds AWESOME! But it's a little too big to fit comfortably (along with my body) into the recliners in my motorhome. I'm hoping that the X7 is just the ticket for "recliner" fit, playability, AND tone!
Old 10-16-2017, 02:49 PM
Guest 928

It may look like this thread has been bush-wacked, but it has not. The Captain reveals an up-to-now hidden concern regarding the Carbon Fiber Forum. Those years the captain spent in writing his books kept him away from new developments in lutherie as is manifest by his belated contributions to the forum. And he's not the only one.

As evidence I would point to How to Canoe in Canada: A True Story written by Jeff Farr. Mr. Farr used to contribute regularly to the old Carbon Fiber Guitar Forum, but his long silence suggests that he is probably writing another book. I should also point out that I was unable to play my carbon fiber guitars while reading his book.

I hope that this thread helps others become aware of just how disruptive writing books can be.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:14 PM

Evan, thanks for the timely warning, I was just about to get cracking on my magnum opus.
In light of your findings I have instead decided to hang around here , waiting for the least little opportunity to snipe some unsuspecting newbie with one of my rapier ripostes to their naive question.

I’ve been around here so long now, I’m even considering learning to play the guitar
Old 10-16-2017, 05:57 PM
Guest 928

Oh Jon! You warm the cockles of my heart. There is much room for you on this forum. All the world needs now is another opus to deal with. Good that you are hanging back, I hope that all is well with you and yours and that this finds you well and in good spirits. evan
Old 10-16-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
cockles
Yikes watch your language...just sayin'
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-16-2017, 06:31 PM
Guest 928

Really! Where is a moderator when you need one?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Where is a moderator when you need one?
They're probably off playing their guitars.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:37 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Evan, thanks for the timely warning, I was just about to get cracking on my magnum opus.
In light of your findings I have instead decided to hang around here , waiting for the least little opportunity to snipe some unsuspecting newbie with one of my rapier ripostes to their naive question.

I’ve been around here so long now, I’m even considering learning to play the guitar
Jon, did Emerald release a new Magnum model in the Opus series with you as the first recipient? Pics, or it didn’t happen!
Old 10-16-2017, 10:17 PM

We joke about over-zealous moderators, that's fine. I only ask that you consider the possibility that you may not appreciate what goes on behind the scenes.

Like many of you, I check the CF forum regularly, typically at least once a day, sometimes more. It's my happy place.

Alarmingly, this thread has been hiijacked at times by someone espousing incredibly racist garbage. What? Where? Well, you don't see those posts because they don't last long: moderators delete them when they appear.

Case in point: a few days ago a post appeared here that would be deeply offensive to people of color, downright racist. I composed a note to alert the moderator, but the offensive post was suddenly gone, nada, deleted, before I could hit "send".

A big thank you to the moderator who was on top of things and kept the board clean.

My point is this: don't assume you get the full picture by reading the remaining thread. There's more going on here than you see. I am grateful there's moderation.

Back to the regularly scheduled program.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:59 AM
Guest 928

Res;

Good call. There has been an inherent decency in this forum that is refreshing and clearly guided by wise moderation.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
Case in point: a few days ago a post appeared here that would be deeply offensive to people of color, downright racist. I composed a note to alert the moderator, but the offensive post was suddenly gone, nada, deleted, before I could hit "send".

A big thank you to the moderator who was on top of things and kept the board clean.
I wondered where my post went. But it was probably ill-advised.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:55 PM

Any more concern?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber