The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-25-2011, 12:30 PM

Default Looking for simple amp good for electric and acoustic

Hi all.
I'm mostly an acoustic player, but have recently started jamming with some people, including drummer and bassist, so I've taken my Strat out of the closet and am re-acquainting myself with it.

I own an old Peavey tube amp from the 70's, which is very loud but also very HEAVY to lug around. I'm hoping to get a reasonably simple, light, and loud enough amp (don't need something very loud, we just jam in small rooms). Preferably, something I can plug either my Strat or one of my fine acoustics in and get a decent sound.

I should point out that I have a POD amp simulator that I plug my Strat in, so would just need a simple amp that doesn't have all that electronics built in. A friend of mine recently bought an acoustic amp (Traynor?) - he only owns acoustics, and I was shocked by the number of switches and buttons on it!!

Does anything exist along the lines of what I need? I just called a music store and they said an electric/acoustic amp doesn't exist, and wouldn't sound good if it did.

Thanks for your help and insights.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:46 PM

Since you are using a POD for your electric tone I suggest you look at a single powered PA speaker on a Tripod. This one lets you plug in both electric and acoustic and adjust volume of each. Carvin and QSC make something similar for a few more dollars.
Yamaha MSR250 Active Powered Speaker w/built in mixer and EQ.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:55 PM

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. It's a bit "outside the box" for what I was looking at (guitar amp) but would provide me with a solution that would work well with either or my acoustics or my electric, I suppose. I like the idea of a clean sound device like that, which could prove useful if I ever get into the situation of playing live somewhere...

My friend paid the equivalent price for a Traynor acoustic amp a couple of months ago, and it has so many buttons he is a bit lost in how to use it. He just plugs in his guitar with pickup and no eq, and a voice mic.

I read very good reviews of the QSC K10 but as you say it's a bit more pricey than the Yamaha MSR250/400. Do you own a Yamaha yourself? I like the mini-eq in it (none of my acoustics has an eq built in).

Thanks again, something to think about for sure.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:56 PM

I have a pair of QSC K8 and a Yamaha mixer. I had considered the Yamaha or Carvin because they had a mixer and tone controls . The Carvin has effects as well. The QSC is higher quality ( sound wise) but does not have all of what I needed for mixing so I got the Yamaha mixer.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:07 PM

Yep, powered PA speaker would do the trick.

I run my electric through a Sansamp Liverpool, so I often use a Mackie SRM350 for my acoustic or electric. Sounds great IMO.

I'd had a Laney GC50A for a while, which was a kind of hybrid amp with a channel for acoustic (decent eq with sweepable mids...) and a channel for electric (with overdrive...) and a tweeter that could be turned on when running acoustic. Sounded decent, but filt like a bit of a compromise for either instrument, if ya know what I mean. I'm much happier with the powered PA speaker.
Takamine Santa Fe
Simon and Patrick Songsmith Parlor
Simon and Patrick Showcase rosewood (with LR Baggs Anthem SL)
Ovation Celebrity Limited Edition CP2001
Old 06-25-2011, 08:13 PM

I second the Powered PA speaker. At least a 12" woofer. Will give the Pod a good big sound. If you need some acoustic EQ any small preamp will work just fine-- like Baggs or Ultrasound both which also act as a DI box.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification