The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-22-2011, 11:13 PM

Default Which setup should I go with

Alright I have found that can get my hands on this PA system

Peavey PR12 ($300)
Peavey XR600F ($200)

Would it be better to go with this or getting an Ultrasound DS4 or Fishman Performer (ya know something along the lines of an acoustic amp)

I don't exactly know who good of a PA system that would be considered but hopefully you guys can give me some input. I'm new to all this.

Thanks guys!
Old 06-23-2011, 03:20 AM
Guest 2143

I suggest that it depends on your needs. The XR8600/PR12 combination is much more powerful (will fill more space with sound) and is also larger and heavier. I do not know much about the amps you mention because I am not a fan of acoustic amps. I would rather have a smaller PA even if I were only going to play small, relatively quiet venues. I like to have 2 sound sources (2 separate speakers) that I can adjust according to the space/audience/etc. There are a lot of options if you go either the amp of the PA route. If you go the PA route, there are setups that I would prefer over the one you mentioned. I use a Yamaha EMX512SC and a pair of EV SX100+ speakers. But these are just my preferences. Finding what amp or PA system you prefer is the key. Hope this helps.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:49 AM

Unless the only places where you expect to play will be small enough to be covered by a 50 watt amp with an 8" coaxial speaker (Ultrasound DS4), the Peavey system is preferable to my way of thinking. I haven't tried the PR 12 speakers but I have no reason to believe they wouldn't sound good enough.

Many guitarists make much about portability wanting to only make one trip from the car to the stage but I didn't mind making a couple of trips to carry my mixer, power amp, reverb unit and pair of EV SX200 speakers. Saving that extra trip would simply mean having to exercise a bit more to stay in shape.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Unless the only places where you expect to play will be small enough to be covered by a 50 watt amp with an 8" coaxial speaker (Ultrasound DS4), the Peavey system is preferable to my way of thinking. I haven't tried the PR 12 speakers but I have no reason to believe they wouldn't sound good enough.

Many guitarists make much about portability wanting to only make one trip from the car to the stage but I didn't mind making a couple of trips to carry my mixer, power amp, reverb unit and pair of EV SX200 speakers. Saving that extra trip would simply mean having to exercise a bit more to stay in shape.
I am willing to make a few trips to the car if it means I will have all the power-dispersion I need and the tone I want. My set up (previous post) is pretty simple, light (powered mixer - 17 lbs. and speakers less than 32 lbs. each) and easy to transport, but it along with my other gear (stands, guitars, etc.) certainly means a few trips to the car. I just don't mind this at all.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-thirty-great View Post
I suggest that it depends on your needs. The XR8600/PR12 combination is much more powerful (will fill more space with sound) and is also larger and heavier. I do not know much about the amps you mention because I am not a fan of acoustic amps. I would rather have a smaller PA even if I were only going to play small, relatively quiet venues. I like to have 2 sound sources (2 separate speakers) that I can adjust according to the space/audience/etc. There are a lot of options if you go either the amp of the PA route. If you go the PA route, there are setups that I would prefer over the one you mentioned. I use a Yamaha EMX512SC and a pair of EV SX100+ speakers. But these are just my preferences. Finding what amp or PA system you prefer is the key. Hope this helps.
I do like the setup you suggested but it would be alot more expensive than the one I have listed money is an issue. If I could put together this PA for $500 that would be great. I have heard good things about the PR12 from searching around this forum and I'm sure that Peavey mixer is pretty good.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:02 PM

The PR 12 is not my favorite speaker but I believe that it is probably the best bang for the buck 12" around. Don't think you can go wrong with a pair and a powered Peavey mixer.

I also have 12's and a small PA and I think it covers a room really well.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:17 PM

One flat dolly, one trip to the car.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:38 PM

The one thing you might want to do is to check on the Peavey discussion forums to make sure that that particular powered mixer will have enough juice not to underpower those speakers.

Louis
Old 06-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
The one thing you might want to do is to check on the Peavey discussion forums to make sure that that particular powered mixer will have enough juice not to underpower those speakers.

Louis
I agree. Many claim it is best to have the wattage of your mixer/amp exceeding the continuous/RMS of your speakers. Some would argue that your amp should be 2-3 times the power of the speakers' RMS rating.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-thirty-great View Post
I agree. Many claim it is best to have the wattage of your mixer/amp exceeding the continuous/RMS of your speakers. Some would argue that your amp should be 2-3 times the power of the speakers' RMS rating.
150% to 200% is sort of the rule of thumb, or close to whatever the continuous power rating of the speakers is, it's a ball-park sort of thing, but the main thing is to find a balance between having too much power (and therefore risking blowing your speakers) and having so little that you end up clipping your amp when you try to get maximum volume.

Louis
Old 06-24-2011, 08:33 AM

ClassicRock1169,

I just sent you a PM.

Thanks...

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com
Old 06-25-2011, 02:33 PM

http://www.loyola.com/av/products/au...ix_xr684f.html
These are the specs for the mixer I can get for $200. Would this mixer be able to run these speakers.
http://peavey.com/products/proaudio/...26reg%3B12.cfm

Thanks guys
Old 06-25-2011, 03:10 PM

Yes, even less power would still drive the PR 12s. However, a more powerful mixer would provide greater headroom. More headroom provides a greater safety margin before the onset of distortion which could damage the speakers. So as long as you are careful not to drive the mixer to the point of distortion on transients, a 200-watt mixer will work.

Have you considered powered PA speakers that have a built-in, 3-channel mixer like these:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...?product=LM12A
Old 06-25-2011, 04:54 PM

Yeah but at $379 a speaker idk... I mean that's $700 on just speakers.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRock1169 View Post
Yeah but at $379 a speaker idk... I mean that's $700 on just speakers.
If it was me, I'd buy one LM12A speaker and add a second one later. One speaker, with its three hundred and fifty watts of bi-amped power is going to be approximately as loud as the 400 watt system. The dispersion would not be as good with one speaker and though it is an unorthodox approach, it is the one I'd be inclined to take though most people probably wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.

Last edited by Herb Hunter; 06-25-2011 at 05:34 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification