The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-28-2011, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Buy new or used Martin?

Greetings all. I'm new to this forum. Thanks for all the great info everyone has posted on here.

This past year I decided to get back into playing guitar after being "absent" from it for over 30 years. The last I really played was in the 70's (yea, I'm one of those middle aged guys trying to re-live my glory days!). I'm taking lessons and starting to get my "chops" back, but still a way to go before I'm ready for any serious gigging.

Anyway, I'm looking at buying a Martin (my preference after listening/playing some Taylors and other brands). While I'm still trying to determine which of the countless models is the right one for me, I've been leaning towards the D/HD-28 or 35. In addition to getting twisted in knots trying to decipher the insane # of models and the differences between them, I'm really in a dilemma as to whether it's better to buy NEW, and get the factory warranty, or Used, and save a few bucks but risk buying something that might have a hidden problem (since I'm not an expert at this).

For example: I can pick up a totally mint 3 year old HD-28 for around $XXXX from a private seller about 3 hours away (close enough that I can go there and play this one before buying, but no warranty and it's "buyer beware"), or buy new for about $XXXX (this is the total price on an internet order from an authorized marquis Martin dealer. Obviously, I wouldn't be able to see or play it before receiving it. This dealer is highly recommended on several threads on this forum. They have a 7-day return policy. But, thats a hassle and I'd have to pay the shipping charges if I returned it). I like the idea of having a "virgin" guitar with a warranty, but I don't know if it's really that big of a deal.

So, for all of you who've gone this route before me: Would it be smarter for me to buy new? Is there a significant advantage to being the original owner, and having the Martin factory warranty? Should I be leery of a newer (2-4 year old) Martin that's already had 2 prior owners?

Sorry if I droned on here. But, I don't want to do something stupid when spending this kind of hard earned $$. I know most of you have tremendous knowledge and expertise, and I'm really grateful you're willing to share it with others on this excellent forum! Thanks everyone!

Last edited by rlouie; 02-28-2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: no price discussion rule
Old 02-28-2011, 01:47 PM

If you have access to a good luthier then a warranty doesn't mean much. I always say play before you buy if you can. And if it speaks to you... get it.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:07 PM

I'll almost always go new...likely I just haven't seen a nice enough used one at a substantial enough savings to change my mind while actively shopping...but so far I love the peace of mind of buying new, AND of trying before buying, and also having a place to return it should something pop up later - a place that will also be there to deal with all the little things, and of course for the next one.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

I've always gone used. Look on this forum and UMGF for guitars for sale and be prepared to pay 48%-50% list. The nice thing is Martin's quality is very consistent over the last 10-15 years, so if you work with a reliable person on one of the forums, you should be able to get an instrument that you can sell for the same (if not more) cash you shelled out. Look around craigslist in your area too and use the same pricing guidelines.

If you're concerned about the warranty and believe this will be a lifetime guitar, then go new and consider Maury's Music or Jon Garon/My Favorite Guitars.

If you go used, keep some sheckel's dedicated to do a nice set up to slot your bridge, maybe bone saddle and get the action right for you. In addition, consider looking for a nice D-18GE. These are fantastic guitars and can be had by careful searching more towards the 48%...

Steve
Old 02-28-2011, 02:21 PM

Is it the guitar you want? That's the question. Rule of thumb for modern Martins - a used one should sell for around half (or less) the list price the guitar had for that year.

The warranty is a nice plus on a new guitar, but only if you plan to keep the guitar for life. Eventually most guitars will need a neck set. You can plan on spending around $500 or so on that. So figure that into your equations.

But, really, it's the individual guitar that's the key. I have bought new and used and have not regretted any purchase. I have sold some to buy others, and you may end up doing this too if you're like a lot of folks here.

Sometimes a guitar has to go through several owners before it find the right one. My 000-16 koa was owned by three people before me. Yet, I'll be the last owner for a long time.

Now, as to the HD-28, that's a fairly common Martin model. You should be able to find new and used examples closer than 3 hours away, I would think. (But, I don't know where you live. Perhaps 3 hours away IS close to you...)

Several Martins, 2 Guilds, a couple of kits and a Tilton (ever heard of those?),
some ukes and a 1920s Vega tenor banjo

Neil deGrasse Tyson — 'The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.'
Old 02-28-2011, 02:25 PM

If you can get a new HD-28 for your quoted price, Do It!
Used guitars can offer some great prices but you better know the guitar and the condition that it's in.
A neck re-set would make the used guitar more expensive than the new one.

There are a lot of great used Martins out there but I still think that the price that you are looking at for a new HD-28 is a great price.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:28 PM

Welcome to the forum.
I've always bought used and maybe I've just gotten lucky but no problems.

I have a HD-35 that I bought used and LOVE it.

Here is one from what looks like a very reputable shop at a decent price.

http://www.herbdavidguitarstudio.com...69897f74354aca
2012 Martin 000-28H "Ambertone 1933"......"Rosebud"
(The 000-28H is actually my wifes..:-) )
2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Old 02-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Great feedback! Thanks everyone. Bobcat -you hit the nail on the head as far as one of my concerns buying used. If it needs any work, I could easily end up with more invested in the used one vs. buying new. If the used one was a better price it might make sense. But the seller seems pretty firm.

L20A, thanks for confirming that the price I was quoted on the new one was a good deal. (It is a quote from Maury's BTW).
Old 02-28-2011, 02:38 PM

I have always bought used (with ONE exception), and have never regretted it. All the guitars below are used, and were purchased in essentially mint condition. I saved thousands by buying used, and in fact could probably not have afforded these guitars at new prices. For yuks, check out the price of a new Martin D-41. I paid less than 1/2 that.

Yes, I got to play all of them before I purchased. However, it's also pretty easy to tell if your dealing with a serious player who takes good care of their guitars. Anyone who has been here on the AGF for more than a year consistently, and provide high quality pics and full disclosure on even the smallest ding can most often be relied upon to deliver a good guitar. Would not say the same of craigslist or Eeekbay. Likewise dealers like Elderly Instruments are 100% solid and will only deliver quality goods. There are several venues to get great, quality used Martins from.

The new owner will have dealt with any teathing issues, and by the time a guitar is a few years old and is still solid and true, chances of anything going dratically wrong are minimal. Just wood and steel. I PREFER used since the guitar is now broken in, wood has aged and guitar has it's true voice. New guitars will require several years to get there.

Because Martin makes so many guitars, there is almost an endless supply of great used ones for sale. Just take your time and look around. Play some locally so you know what you want (18, 28, 35) and then be prepared to jump when you see a good one.

I have owned a D-35 in the past and they are GREAT Martins, if you like the Rosewood tonewood sound. Mahogany dreads also have their fans. Go used - if you want to sell or trade you will likely have only lost a few hundred. If you buy new and sell or trade later, your the one losing 50% of your investment.
Collings OM2H Custom
Old 02-28-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastman View Post
Bobcat -you hit the nail on the head as far as one of my concerns buying used. If it needs any work, I could easily end up with more invested in the used one vs. buying new. If the used one was a better price it might make sense. But the seller seems pretty firm.
Actually, I was trying to dissuade you from being fearful of buying used if the guitar speaks to you. Expensive repairs are rare on used guitars as long as they are in decent shape when you buy them. But, you should figure any needed repairs into your price when you negotiate with the seller.

If you're buying from Maury, you're getting a good guitar and a good dealer. My 00-28VS came from him.

Several Martins, 2 Guilds, a couple of kits and a Tilton (ever heard of those?),
some ukes and a 1920s Vega tenor banjo

Neil deGrasse Tyson — 'The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.'
Old 02-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Welcome back to the fold. I'd advise you to get some prices from the AGF sponsors who carry Martins. Martins either hold their value or their owners believe they should (not sure which it is) so you may find little difference between a new one and that used Caveat emptor! alternative. As you've already found, there are a dizzying array of great guitars available at all price points....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-28-2011, 03:33 PM

Welcome.

I've purchased 3 used Martins where the savings would have allowed a significant repair to be done if needed. The wisdom of used purchases I've made really showed up when I sold or traded.

I wanted my HD-28 for reasons of same 70s nostalgia so I figured you'd appreciate that. I play a smaller guitar most of the time though and am trying to see if I can live without it. It didn't work the first time I tried to sell it.

Have fun shopping.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infi-del View Post
If you have access to a good luthier then a warranty doesn't mean much. I always say play before you buy if you can. And if it speaks to you... get it.
This is the most sensible quote I've heard. I have always buy used provided they are in excellent condition. Warranty to me is something I would hardly use because I have a excellent Luthier who cares for all my guitars. And did I mentioned he is authorised to maintain Martin guitars, which is a bonus. I think buying new is good, but like all things, devaluation once it leaves the showroom, is one factor to why I buy used. If I can save X amount of $$$ for a excellent git, why not? I am from Australia, I am sure I will have to pay for postage back to Nezareth, I think it will cost too much, especially when I can travel only 10 mins to my Luthier.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:20 PM

Hello C.M. -

Welcome to the AGF! Stick around, post a lot, ask questions, share info when you can.

I would have no problem in buying a used Martin under one condition - that being that you deal with a very reputable internet dealer. Here's 49 different used ones to look at on the Elderly site: http://www.elderly.com/vintage/cats/10U.html

Best wishes, and keep us informed.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:22 PM

I'd say go with what you can afford. If you buy used you can usually get more guitar. If you can afford the model you really want brand new, there's nothing wrong with that either.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion