The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-24-2006, 10:16 AM

Default Guild G37BLD

Played really nice guitar this weekend. It was my Aunt's old Guild GC37BLD (probably a '72). It's the first "vintage" guild I've played all the others have been late 80's to present, and I have to say that while some of those were "nice" none of them did anything special for me.

This guitar explained to me why there are so many Guild fan's out there! Spruce top, 3 ply maple back and sides, heavy build and a REAL CANNON (almost if not as loud as my TDM). This thing seemed to have almost unlimited headspace (with xtra lights on!!!!). Where it shined the most was in dropped tunings (didn't have a slide but it sounded good with a coffee mug).

When I first picked it up I thought it would sound OK, especially due to the maple (not my favorite body wood TOO BRIGHT!)....however I was immediately impressed with its responsiveness and tone (not to mention VOLUME!!). Some of the overtones of a rosewood dread but nice rounded mids...not muddy at all. The first guitar I've played that really sounded "Brassy" to me. I'm going to have to try and play some more maple plywood guitars. Perhaps someday I'll get to put some lights or mids on it and put it "to the slide"....have to be carefull though..... It seemed to have some belly and neck issues (hence the xtra lights).

Oh well, nice guitar....you should try one if you can......
Gibson L6s

And searching for a good all around steelstring.....
Old 04-24-2006, 11:48 AM
Me

I owned one of those for over 10 years. I loved that guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion