The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-04-2018, 07:24 PM

Arrow What to teach to a student after he/she learnt some basic chords?

So, this new student mostly likes to sing, she has an acoustic guitar and she has been playing for several years for fun but never with a teacher, she knows basic shapes, seems to kind of struggle with barre chords.
She likes indie rock and pop stuff, like The Kooks.

I was thinking in teaching High and Dry by Radiohead, which uses F#7/11 (played as 2x2200) then Asus9 and ends with E. So she can know and play chords with extensions (is that how you call them in English?) which sound great with open strings, that would be, not barre chords, not yet.

I haven't met her yet, the info I wrote was based on what she told me. The reason I don't want to teach barre chords in the first class is to "not scare" her, so I think it's better to give her something she might be able to do. Also, is the strumming of High and Dry kind of difficult for a newbie? I'm used to classical guitar so I'm not very aware of the difficulty or rhythmic strumming.

Or maybe a Keane song like Somewhere only we know, with a capo on the second fret chords would be translated as G Bm Am D, then Em Bm C D for the bridge, then C G D for the chorus.
Maybe the Bm could be played as (X20230 as a Bm7/11).

-Generic classical guitar, no electronics (Medium tension strings)
-Taylor GS Mini-E Walnut (0.13 strings)
Mics: Rode M5, match pair, small diaphragm. Also AT2020, large diaphragm.
PC: Win 8, Netbook, 4GB RAM
DAW: Ableton Live 9 Suite
Interface: TASCAM Us-144 MK II
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

If it were me, I would concentrate on root notes and how to incorporate them into strumming. I might also look at alternate strumming patterns. I don't know the songs you mentioned, but there are many easy ones out there. Oh, and make sure she understands the musical alphabet in case she wants to use a capo.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacatedral View Post
So, this new student mostly likes to sing, she has an acoustic guitar and she has been playing for several years for fun but never with a teacher, she knows basic shapes, seems to kind of struggle with barre chords.
She likes indie rock and pop stuff, like The Kooks.

I was thinking in teaching High and Dry by Radiohead, which uses F#7/11 (played as 2x2200) then Asus9 and ends with E. So she can know and play chords with extensions (is that how you call them in English?) which sound great with open strings, that would be, not barre chords, not yet.

I haven't met her yet, the info I wrote was based on what she told me. The reason I don't want to teach barre chords in the first class is to "not scare" her, so I think it's better to give her something she might be able to do. Also, is the strumming of High and Dry kind of difficult for a newbie? I'm used to classical guitar so I'm not very aware of the difficulty or rhythmic strumming.

Or maybe a Keane song like Somewhere only we know, with a capo on the second fret chords would be translated as G Bm Am D, then Em Bm C D for the bridge, then C G D for the chorus.
Maybe the Bm could be played as (X20230 as a Bm7/11).
First thing I'd do is ask her what music she likes, what songs she wants to play. What songs can she play already, what songs would she like to play, or can play to some level but is having difficulty with? Teach her whatever she needs to get to that next stage, whether it's strumming or picking techniques, chord shapes, etc. I.e., techniques linked to her immediate (short term) goals, that she can make use of for what she is working on now.

She may be more focused on writing her own songs (so might want to know about certain chord types, changes or techniques to expand her vocabulary), but I would still begin from other people's songs that she likes, or that inspire her.

IOW, you have to start from where she is now. Don't ask us until you have some idea of that!

Last edited by JonPR; 03-05-2018 at 03:35 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:53 AM

Despite your reluctance, I would consider at least a strong introduction to the barre chords, since they can open up so many options for keys and chord progressions. Maybe try to find out if it is strength (maybe need some excersizes) or form (maybe just need some advice on how to hold them).
Old 03-05-2018, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Go into the open chords more, work on transition between them, teach her more open chords as there are a gazillion and most importantly teach her about the efficiency of movement, i.e. which strings can be slid in transitions, when to start setting up the next chord, etc. There's a lot to be learned about changing chords, especially the first position ones.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:15 PM

Once you see the chords she plays, teach her a couple of basic bass runs between those chords. Simple concept, sounds great. Leverages what she already knows.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:34 PM

I gave my first paid lesson in 1989, while still a student at music school. I've learned a lot since teaching that first lesson. My advice is not to make too many plans before you get a chance to sit with the student to evaluate her skills & to ask for her input on what she wants to get out of lessons. From there you can make plans for how you're going to help her achieve her goals.

If you go in with this plan to teach her Dry and/or the F#7(11) you may be shocked when she tells you she doesn't want to learn that, or maybe doesn't even like that song.

HTH

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 03-06-2018, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post

If you go in with this plan to teach her Dry and/or the F#7(11) you may be shocked when she tells you she doesn't want to learn that, or maybe doesn't even like that song.

HTH
I was thinking exactly that when I read the original post
Old 03-06-2018, 05:56 AM

The first thing I'd do is determine her ambitions. If it is mostly to accompany her singing I might be tempted to show her what a capo can do.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

I don't understand.

Are you a friend giving her some basic help and looking for basic advice or are you a paid professional music instructor looking for basic advice?

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 03-06-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I don't understand.

Are you a friend giving her some basic help and looking for basic advice or are you a paid professional music instructor looking for basic advice?
I'm a music student giving instruction on guitar to a new student, I've been giving classes since last year and she wants to learn some guitar. What's so difficult about getting that.

-Generic classical guitar, no electronics (Medium tension strings)
-Taylor GS Mini-E Walnut (0.13 strings)
Mics: Rode M5, match pair, small diaphragm. Also AT2020, large diaphragm.
PC: Win 8, Netbook, 4GB RAM
DAW: Ableton Live 9 Suite
Interface: TASCAM Us-144 MK II
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacatedral View Post
I'm a music student giving instruction on guitar to a new student, I've been giving classes since last year and she wants to learn some guitar. What's so difficult about getting that.
I just think a teacher has an obligation to know the subject they are getting paid to teach.

If someone doesn't know the material, in my mind, they should not be taking money from an unsuspecting person.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 03-06-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:15 AM

I'd wait and get some face time with her to understand who she is musically. Words in a distant correspondence can't relate that like a guitar in the lap can. She probably has some favorites. I'd build on and around that with similar progressions and genres, just to expand her reach.

Technique being the mechanical part of the inquiry, that development would be directed by the chosen music. I like the root note/strum suggestion. It can be employed in anything. Neil Young was a purveyor of that.

If she's primarily interested in singing, I'd personally play one of her favorites while she sang over it to give her a visual on the basic playing needed to accompany herself. I'd keep it simple. Then I'd have her accompany me as we both play it so she could get some cues when to bring in the vocals. Once that's in the bag her confidence will probably embrace expanding into other songs mentioned above.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:26 AM

Teach the student fingerstyle (Travis) picking.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:40 AM

I always teach the minor blues scales. Lets them explore single note soloing as well.

I think the advice to see what she wants to learn and likes to play is solid.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write