The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 04:16 PM

I love the look of old Fender Telecasters and Stratocasters so I've warmed somewhat over time to these relic guitars (even if they're not vintage instruments), but I don't have those same feelings for old acoustic guitars for some reason. (They actually have to be old Martin or even Gibson acoustics for me to appreciate).
Old 03-21-2018, 04:28 PM

Classic Relic'ing -

Old 03-21-2018, 04:45 PM

I don't understand Martin's RoadMasters 'distressing'. It doesn't look like wear and tear to me, it looks more like a new form of tobacco sunburst. I kind of dig it. The rest are cheesy though.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambi View Post
I don't understand Martin's RoadMasters 'distressing'. It doesn't look like wear and tear to me, it looks more like a new form of tobacco sunburst. I kind of dig it. The rest are cheesy though.
Agree, it does not look like natural wear, rather like an antique burst it appeals on a basic level to something stylized. (StreetMaster).
Old 03-22-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
(StreetMaster).
Nice catch, I totally noticed I had written 'RoadMaster' and STILL hit submit
Old 03-22-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Here is a thread about the Pre*War Guitars Company from just last month. If we keep on pace we can get nine more in before Christmas..
LMAO !!!
Old 03-22-2018, 12:03 PM

I'll be contrary - I like distressed guitars more than pristine guitars (all things considered).

I like to buy used precisely for this purpose. Usually the gloss has worn down a bit on the neck (so it's not sticky). And I like the fact that i'm not worried about dinging it. If you saw what I gig with (i mostly gig pedal steel, not acoustics mind you), you know that it's only a matter of time before I'd wear the gear into the ground.

But even aside from those minor practical things, I just dig beat up looking guitars. I mean, they have to play/sound good too. But... I just like it. Finish cracks? Don't care - love 'em! Wear spots/nicks? Don't care - love 'em! Worn frets? Hey, wait a minute!

Y'all recently helped me out in a purchase. While the guitar I bought (a Santa Cruz 1934 DM) was used and actually in pretty good shape, I did look at a quite a few guitars that were beat up bad. It's not that I don't care about aesthetics - it's just that I think wear (usually) looks really good! So I'll buy that vintage D- Martin no one can move - neck snap/reset and non-original tuners - and not regret it for a second.

Be glad there are a few weird cats out there like me. We're the folks buying your used gear that aren't put off by the fact that you played it.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:17 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraun002 View Post
I'll be contrary - I like distressed guitars more than pristine guitars (all things considered).

I like to buy used precisely for this purpose. Usually the gloss has worn down a bit on the neck (so it's not sticky). And I like the fact that i'm not worried about dinging it. If you saw what I gig with (i mostly gig pedal steel, not acoustics mind you), you know that it's only a matter of time before I'd wear the gear into the ground.

But even aside from those minor practical things, I just dig beat up looking guitars. I mean, they have to play/sound good too. But... I just like it. Finish cracks? Don't care - love 'em! Wear spots/nicks? Don't care - love 'em! Worn frets? Hey, wait a minute!

Y'all recently helped me out in a purchase. While the guitar I bought (a Santa Cruz 1934 DM) was used and actually in pretty good shape, I did look at a quite a few guitars that were beat up bad. It's not that I don't care about aesthetics - it's just that I think wear (usually) looks really good! So I'll buy that vintage D- Martin no one can move - neck snap/reset and non-original tuners - and not regret it for a second.

Be glad there are a few weird cats out there like me. We're the folks buying your used gear that aren't put off by the fact that you played it.

Right on brother!
Old 03-22-2018, 02:45 PM

I dont mind beat up guitars, BUT. I feel it devalues the guitar, be it old or new. You'd rather have a prewar martin in showroom condition than one that looked like Willie Nelson chewed on it. (Minus any provenance that it actually WAS trigger). The value would certainly reflect that too. Aw man, its a beautiful one of a kind masterpiece. But its only worth $27k instead of $32k because it lacks any scratches.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:45 PM

Default One vote for distressed

I just bought a Martin D15M Streetmaster. Besides the fact it's a really nice dreadnaught, I love the faux-distressed finish on the guitar. I've always admired thin satin finishes on guitars as opposed to the glossy finishes offered on many instruments. While I'd never buy distressed jeans, artistically built and finished instruments are a different matter. The Martin D15M Streetmaster line is beautifully imagined and crafted. I'm not trying to fool anyone. It's just fun to play and look at.
  • 2009 Martin D1
  • 2017 Eastman E20SS
  • 2017 Eastman E100ss-LTD
  • 1969 Mosrite Serenade (acoustic)
  • 2016 Gold Tone Banjo
  • 2018 Guild Jumbo Junior Acoustic Bass
  • 2017 Hadean U-Bass
  • Oscar Schmidt OU55CE Ukulele
Old 12-24-2018, 08:50 PM

Seems to me if the major guitar makers wanted to get relic'd guitars out, couldn't they put on an oil finish? I have a handmade uke with oil finish and it has relic'd very nicely. (I didn't buy it for that reason, it just happened with playing time). I get good feedback on the patina look of it. I've owned it maybe 6 years.

Also, not sure if the beeswax finish of some of the new Gibsons would do the same?
Old 12-24-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Totally agree with you.

To me, it's fraud. It may not be illegal but I would feel like a fraud if I bought or relic'd one.
I kind of would, too. It seems to me like the whole point is putting a false front on, and I get that that's entertainment to a degree. But it wouldn't be for me.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:12 PM

It's like buying jeans that come with holes already in them. Some think its next; others... well, less so.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:18 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
somehow the fact that such things exist says something very troubling about our culture.
I find far more troubling things about our culture than guitar paint jobs.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:45 PM

Eh, I just think of relic jobs as a finish option. No reason to get worked up over it. Whatever a person likes is cool by me.

I love the look of a lot of beat up "mojo" guitars with actual wear...not a big fan of faux relics, though some look well done and authentic.

I'd rather be the one to scuff up a guitar (I take care of them but don't agonize over legitimately earned dings and scratches) but I suppose if I found a guitar that really sang to me, I wouldn't turn it away just because of a relic finish.

- John Shedd

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion