The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-22-2018, 09:28 AM

Default Emerald guitar body depth question

Please excuse my ignorance, but after looking at the Emerald website it seems they don't offer a shallow depth body. By shallow I mean similar to Ovation shallow body and deeper than a Taylor T5. Can anyone help me? Thanks.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 03-22-2018, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Evan has a thin-body nylon electric, based on an X7 body shape... so, I'm guessing, given time and money, most things are possible. But, sending an inquiry direct to Emerald would get you a better answer.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:45 AM
Guest 928

As the Captain notes, Emerald can make whatever you want. My thin-body electric is hollow and remarkably acoustic. Plugged in, it is remarkably powerful.

As the Captain also notes, it takes time and money to get what you want. My guitar required a custom body, a custom fret board, a custom pickup and a custom veneer. Despite all the customization, the price was about the same as many production model CF guitars.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
... it takes time and money to get what you want. My guitar required a custom body, a custom fret board, a custom pickup and a custom veneer. Despite all the customization, the price was about the same as many production model CF guitars.
I would have enjoyed listening in on that initial conversation.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:30 AM

Thanks, I'll probably stay with my Taylor T5. No money for full custom build these days.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 03-22-2018, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

That's a pretty awesome collection of guitars you have there ! Seems a CF acoustic would compliment the herd. The T5 is a great guitar. Enjoy.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
Thanks, I'll probably stay with my Taylor T5. No money for full custom build these days.
I have a T5 - great guitar. If you're thinking about an Emerald, the X7 is their smaller body guitar, but has enough depth that it sounds good acoustically (not plugged in). I have heard of people using a T5 as a "quiet acoustic," but I would find that not particularly satisfying. The X7 is (to me) more comfortable to play while sitting than the T5; standing, it would be a wash, with the T5 being heavier. Great neck on the T5! Every time I pick up my X7, I am delighted by the comfort and great sound. Plugged in (my X7 has a B-Band pickup), it kicks.

Of course, the X7 doesn't have as many onboard tone options as the T5 plugged in. I find the T5 does an acceptable "acoustic" sound when plugged in and played with an acoustic amp - the X7 sounds like an acoustic, plugged in or not.

The T5 is unique. I've heard many folks say it isn't a great acoustic or electric sound; I haven't found that to be the case. As an electric guitar, it does an adequate job of sounding acoustic; as an electric guitar, it has some great tones. I have used mine with an A/B/Y switch, going into separate acoustic and electric amps. It is the first electric guitar that rivals (for me) the ES-335 that I have owned since 1966. It is a fine electric guitar... but, it isn't an acoustic to my ears. I like my T5 a lot.

Hope that helps, from the perspective of owning both.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 03-22-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:18 PM

I had an early T5... back when they were sent out with a g string that would not stay tuned... kinda weird. Got it at the giant box store and was able to trade it for other stuff for full value up to a year... so I did.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber