The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-02-2012, 01:45 PM

Default Taylor Baritone 8-string

I played for the first time yesterday a Taylor 8-string baritone guitar and fell in love with the sound of those doubled strings and the lower tuning. I'm wondering if my lust is overtaking my common sense. What drawbacks am I letting myself in for when I go to play songs I normally play on my six-string Larrivee? If I understand it right, a capo at the fifth fret will replicate exactly a six string in normal tuning. Any insights greatly appreciated. I'm looking to sell and or trade my one owner Martin OM-K2-41 all Koa, which is in splendid condition and just set up by an authorized Martin repair shop who pronounced it in great condition after putting on brand new Elixer's and adjusting the truss rod, saddle and nut. It plays like butter. Thanks for your time.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:09 PM

Question

That's correct with the capo at the fifth fret, but then you won't be using the uniqueness of the guitar. It's best to transpose the chords to play in first position in my opinion.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 12-02-2012, 02:48 PM

If you are not playing with others, shouldn't you be able to fore go transposing and just sing in the key of B? The fingering positions shouldn't change any should they?

As far as the rest of it goes, I wouldn't sell the martin if it is your only guitar. I would buy the taylor and have two guitars.

I dont' remember if it was Pat Metheny or not, but some one was doing an interview saying that they would probably use it as a finger style guitar and use the lower strings for the bass line, the upper two strings for the melody and doubled up strings in the middle to get a twelve string sound out of the chords.

I would love to have this guitar but, that kind of playing is way over my head.

~ Seagull, Canada ~
2003 Maritime SWS Mahogany Dreadnaught

~Tacoma's, Tacoma, Washington, USA~
2006 BM6C Baritone
2000 AJF22CE5

~ Guild's, Westerly, R.I., USA ~
1980 F212 CNT

...one man gathers what another man spills...
Old 12-02-2012, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the replies, and I am certainly thinking of keeping the Martin as well.
Are there any available chord transposing charts that show what a standard chord would actually be when played on an 8-string baritone, or is it just count down the fifth?
Old 12-02-2012, 02:54 PM

Richard, the Taylor baritone 8 string is a special guitar. I think it sounds fantastic; however, I also believe it's a niche guitar. Perhaps it's a great fit for you but I wouldn't want to be without a "standard" acoustic guitar. Perhaps if I had a deep voice.

Anyway you can have the baritone and keep the Martin? That would make a great duo.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:02 PM

Thankfully, I have an understanding spouse, and keeping the Martin won't be a problem if I decide to do that, which is where I am leaning. I agree the Baritone has a lot of limitations, but I just can't get that sound out of my head!
Old 12-02-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C. View Post
Thanks for the replies, and I am certainly thinking of keeping the Martin as well.
Are there any available chord transposing charts that show what a standard chord would actually be when played on an 8-string baritone, or is it just count down the fifth?
Just look at the circle of fifths. It's easy to figure out and get used to.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 12-02-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Just look at the circle of fifths. It's easy to figure out and get used to.
...not if you have no idea what that means, haha. Just experiment until it sounds good!
1998 Taylor 814ce
Old 12-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

I own one, and it's rich, deep voice often puts my 6-strings to shame. I think it's a brilliant idea and a fantastic instrument in every way.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 12-02-2012, 03:33 PM

I think I'm beginning to get the Circle of Fifths, but making it elementary as can be for me......what would the basic G, C and D chords be on the 8-string baritone. I think I know but I want to double check. I feel like I'm in third grade at this point. As for keeping the Martin, I very well might, but I also have a Larrivee PO9 in Brazilian Rosewood that I really like playing, so it's not like I will be without a standard six-string.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C. View Post
I think I'm beginning to get the Circle of Fifths, but making it elementary as can be for me......what would the basic G, C and D chords be on the 8-string baritone. I think I know but I want to double check. I feel like I'm in third grade at this point. As for keeping the Martin, I very well might, but I also have a Larrivee PO9 in Brazilian Rosewood that I really like playing, so it's not like I will be without a standard six-string.
Well G, C, D is I, IV, V in G and D is the fifth of G, so I, IV, V in the key of D is D, G, and A.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 12-02-2012, 04:32 PM

you would do well to learn and understand how to transpose yourself, but I also agree that really the point, I think is to be in the lower key/register. Anyway:

<Baritone> = <Standard>

E = B
A = E
D = A
G = D
C = G
F = C
Bb = F

Meaning, if you play an "E" on the baritone, it will equate to a "B" chord.

You should notice a pattern in the above. This is a really cool video from Justin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcvir...layer_embedded

Last edited by ebick; 12-02-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:56 PM

Richard, as others in thread have already pointed out, if you use the B to B baritone tuning with the same intervals as standard tuning, the chords are pretty easy to figure out: a regular first position G formation gives you a D natural chord, a C formation gives you a G natural chord, an A minor formation gives you an E minor natural chord, and so forth.

I use my McAlister baritone guitar with the church choir I lead on an almost weekly basis. What I particularly like about it is the ability to explore lower voicings. There are a few keys that get used a lot in the Episcopal Hymnal, like F, Bb and Eb. Those aren't the greatest keys for playing without a capo on standard six string guitar, and when you do capo it takes you a bit higher up the guitar neck: for the key of F on standard guitar I'll generally capo 3 and play D formation, or capo 5 and play C formation.

But to get the key of F on the baritone I can capo 3 and play in G formation, and it sounds great there. To get Bb I stay at capo 3 and play C formation, and Eb on the baritone sounds great at capo 1 in G formation.

It took me a while to get used to using the baritone, and I'm sure the same thing will happen if you get one. But once you get it figured out, it's a wonderful instrument you can use to expand your playing options.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

PS: I like the Taylor 8 string baritone, and prefer it to the Taylor 6 string baritone. For a 6 string baritone that's more projective and (I believe) has a better tone, the Martin baritones are magnificent. The Taylor baritones I've played haven't had much acoustic projection to them, which is probably due to their shorter scale length. But the Martins really punch through in an acoustic setting with other instruments.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:41 PM

I actually DO get it now, working with the circle of fifths and transposing the chords. Thanks to everyone who replied here... .hopefully I'll be playing that Taylor 8 string soon. I'm just amazed so much time went by in my "guitar life" before I discovered it! Thanks, again

Richard
Old 12-02-2012, 07:14 PM

I had an 8 string Taylor baritone and just sold it, not that it isn't a great guitar. For me, with the Elixir heavies, and tuned B to B, it was just a bit too low and growly to be used as one's primary instrument. Thus for most of the time I had it, I put mediums on it and tuned it C to C or D to D. Particularly at D to D, it's really beautiful to listen to. I wound up letting it go because the doubled strings were a struggle for me - its spacing is a wee bit tight. At least for ol' hot dog fingers here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion