The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgvintage
What's worse is that it's all from the Gibson family of brands. They plaster crap like "Made to the same exacting standards as Gibson" and expect people to buy it. They also sell those crappy effects pedals.
I'm waiting with baited breath (bated?--oh well, whatEVER!) for the "Wally World 'Gibsons'" to show up at our local Walmart. Sadly, they are converting the store into a SUPERstore, with groceries, used cars, fishing boats (commercial), used F-15's from the Navy, and Abrahms M-1 Tanks from "Desert Storm" with mower-blades mounted on the treads.

So far, they only have Gibson ACCESORIES--strings, picks, straps, etc. All the "First Act" guitars seem to be MIA--once they complete the transformation, I'm sure these "new guitars, built to Gibson specs" will be prominently displayed. So...for now, I'm holding with the "Classic" Estebans (you know-the ones where the tuners break off, the bridge is lifted and the black-ebony-shoe polish-stain rubs off the fretboard). I still vote for the guy who was so disgusted with his old Esteban, he threw it up into a tree--and some birds made a HOUSE out of it. Cool!

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 03-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyc007
MARTIN!

j/k
Martin! Taylor! Gibson...everyone has their own (excuse the pun) axe to grind!

Once upon a time musical instruments used to be made by skilled luthiers, men (and women) who spent years learning to understand wood, and with a burning desire to make tools to used to create beautiful music. These artists strived to make their instruments better and better. Every instrument was a development of the previous one.

Now, alas making a guitar entails little more than loading a machine with wood and pressing a button. Every guitar of any given model is the same as every other – well for the most part. They don’t get developed or improved they just get processed.

Martin paint it black, Gibson stick on a fancy pick guard, Taylor make it from an old box. The truth is they’re all as bad as each other.

Give me a guitar made by someone who loves their job and is striving to make a great instrument, not someone who works in a factory – in the US, in China, in Europe… anywhere. Mass produced guitars = mass produced music.

So, a Squier made in China, a Martin made in America is there any difference? Only that the factory workers in the US have a coffee break, the factory workers in china have a tea break!
Martin OM-28 Authentic '31
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster
National Delphi Resonator

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 03-09-2006, 02:32 PM

I also vote for the First Act brand. I was stupid and bought one when I first started playing guitar. The action was so high it was ridiculous!
Old 03-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

The answer is easy. Almost any unplugged or unpowered solid body electric. Makes a really terrible acoustic.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 03-09-2006, 03:45 PM

Smile

My 5 year old received a "First Act" from her grandparents for Christmas. Very hard to play...sounds terrible.......but my daughter continues to try and is learning a few new chords each week. It sounds remarkably better when she plays it along with dad. It breaks by heart to see here tiny little finger on that action so high I could walk under it. I'll have to keep watching e-bay for a cheap Baby Taylor
Old 03-09-2006, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski
...So, a Squier made in China, a Martin made in America is there any difference?...
Ummmmmm. Let me think about that-YES!

There are a bunch of mass produced guitars that sound great. I would hope a person would not have to pay out $3K for a custom luthier to appreciate a well-built guitar.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:21 PM

For the love of pete....stop watching your child suffer....take a sanding block to the nut and saddle and lower that action!!! Go slow...and at worst you'll give it a slight buzzzzzz

that or you can teach her slide......
Gibson L6s

And searching for a good all around steelstring.....
Old 03-09-2006, 09:24 PM

I may just do that.....thanks for the suggestion. At worse, I'll screw it up so bad I'll have to get her a "replacement" of slightly better material and workmanship.....but worth a try.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:20 PM

Quote:
So, a Squier made in China, a Martin made in America is there any difference? Only that the factory workers in the US have a coffee break, the factory workers in china have a tea break!
Very good analogy!
Old 03-09-2006, 10:25 PM

I don't know, but my brother has a Trump that is 30 years old with
a warped top and a cool sunburst paint job I think it was made of plywood
nice plywood.
of course there is always the "backpacker" I have never played one. but I have heard pleanty of Jokes about them.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:07 PM

Default Not all cheap guitars are bad!

I have a Jasmine that I keep on the sofa in the living room. I have to say that this is a good guitar. The intonation is pretty much right on. Too bad it has a laminate top. But, I have this old sound hole pickup that God knows the brand and it sounds good through Acoustasonic amp. The laminate top doesn't resonate so that helps with Feed Back. I would not say it has great tone but definitely its not dead. I got for $60 at a pawn shop. So I can't really complain.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:28 PM

Nope Youre all wrong....

trust me on this....

It was the Sears guitar I got in 1963... plywood on plywood...

A lovely sunburst... the pickguard was painted on .... painted on
Strings about an inch off the fretboard,,,

It was my mom's present for my birthday...

Ive been in therapy ever since

Old 07-25-2014, 07:03 AM

Default Leave esteban alone! I mean it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute View Post
Please.

Esteban. Hands down!

I guess I'm a bit late to the party. But I only just found this thread today, and I have to say I am disappointed in each and every one of you who were laughing and mocking the Esteban guitars. I'd have assumed that members of a forum who like to think of themselves as both guitar players, collectors, and amateur luthiers would know better.

Estaban guitars are perhaps the greatest value in sub-$1000 guitars today, period! I know, because my uncle has a neighbor whose best friend worked for Esteban, and he got to hear a lot about their manufacturing techniques, their philosophy, and the pride they take in their instruments. And he told me about all this stuff one night after he'd had a stroke. So shut up with the laughing and mocking, it's not funny, and you clearly don't know Estaban guitars.

I have an Esteban, and it is one of the finest playing guitars I've ever owned, and I've owned them all. ALL!

Of course, like all guitars it needed a little tweaking, and a little swapping out of a few things. But after I did that, I had a world-class guitar which would easily go head-to-head with any other world-class guitars available. And you can take that to the bank!

Right off the bat, I swapped out the tuners, and that made a world of difference. Then later the nut and saddle were replaced with fossilized cro-mag human bones, and boy did that change things around. Later still, I changed the fretboard, and then also the neck too, mainly because I had one of the greatest necks money could buy, and it's now living happily on the Esteban. It was already sounding brilliant, but I figured...why not go with some solid wood? So I had a really skilled gentleman custom design a solid back and sides, which he did wonderfully. While he was at it, I had a lovely piece of aged AAAAA+ spruce which had set me back almost $400 a few years ago, and he suggested we just throw that on the top. Why not? And the result is, well, you'd have to hear it to understand. It's a right proper tone monster of the highest and most brutal degree! Take THAT, Esteban haters!

Sure, it took a little work, what doesn't? And it now sounds, plays, and looks like a dream!

I wouldn't trade my Esteban for all the guitars in the whole, wide, world!

GO ESTEBAN!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:20 AM

I've been sounding pretty good lately with my nephews 1/8 scale 4 string with a crank sticking out the side of it. It has a Cowboy painted on it, so you know. .....it may not be made with solid wood. It may even be plastic?! I've been told the ones with the Horse painted on it sound better.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:22 AM

Since this started with a zombie thread, I'll slightly digress and put in a good word for a starter guitar I recently purchased at WalMart. It's a Silvertone dreadnought made by Samick. Compared to my previous Rogue dreadnought it sounds better and has a better setup...I think it was $70 or so. I realize that there are better deals out there on the used market, but I felt lazy and didn't want to meet anyone in a dark alley...
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion