The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-21-2017, 12:15 PM

Default How Do You Handle The Medical "Second Opinion?"

I know that sounds like kind of a goofy question and maybe it is, but I was just wondering what my buds here at OM would have to say about it. I'm going in for a second opinion next week for a medical condition that could involve surgery. Nothing life threatening thank God, but serious enough for me to be curious enough to ask for a second opinion. My question relates to "tactics" so to speak. I was mulling it over and thought well maybe I shouldn't say anything to the second doc about the opinion of the first doc because that could possibly "taint" the opinion of the second doc, that he might possibly be influenced by the first diagnosis and treatment recommendation. Maybe the second doc wouldn't want to challenge the medical opinion of the first doc and would just go along to get along so to speak. The first doc is V.A., the second doc is outside the VA so he couldn't pull anything up on my unless I told him about my first visit to the V.A. and gave him my permission to access my V.A. medical records. Geez, all of the sudden I'm feeling kinda of sneaky about this. I don't know, what do you think? "Fess up or shut up?
Old 04-21-2017, 12:29 PM

2nd opinion is very wise. unless of course you're an expert in whichever medical science this is dealing with. I don't mean to bash, but having moved to the U.S. from Canada , I find the system here to be financially driven, I'm not professing to be any kind of authority, but I've known of procedures to be recommended that were maybe more in the surgeons best interest over the patient. I did work in the medical field for quite a number of years. Good luck with your situation.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

I've had 8 operations and in the end I don't see much I could have done to ascertain a different end. I asked about how many they had done and spoke to their nurses if I could. My advice is just to learn about how to recover from whatever will be done. Post-op is as important as anything you will do. My condition left me with no choice, and I am grateful that I had the opportunity to be worked on by mostly very dedicated people. Good luck to you.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:48 PM

Have Doc #1 refer you to Doc #2 for a 2nd opinion. They'll exchange whatever info they need to. All you do is show up for the appointment.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

I think second opinions are very valuable to help confirm a choice.

Sometimes, three or four opinions might be warranted to increase the confidence.

I take your point about 'tainting' the other opinions with pre-knowledge of the advice already in hand. My approach would be to specifically ask the 2nd opinionators to explain in detail why they agree or disagree with the other opinions.

from those answers, I would expect to hear the kinds of words that either:
give me confidence in the advice from one or more,
or, raise new questions not previously considered by anyone.

I'd return to the first doctor to review the differing results, and contiue the Q&A until I was satisfied with choosing from the bunch.

good luck!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 04-21-2017, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Wise question. I'd get the second opinion without influencing it. Then I would ask allot of questions. They would probably be better informed questions since you have been through the first doctor's visit. Being a doctor is a profession.They are human beings like any other you know. They are workmen and contractors with the same fallibilities so you have to judge the person also.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-21-2017, 02:50 PM

I'm an ENT doctor so let me give you my perspective. I see many patients for a second opinion. I also encourage my patients to see a second opinion.

Personally, I prefer that my patients be up front with me from the start when I am taking their history. I tend to get a bit put off when patients withhold information like this is some sort of adversarial guessing game. You came to me with a medical problem, and I'm trying to help you. Any information you can give me could be important.

If another surgeon recommended a procedure. Tell me about it up front. I will give you my unbiased opinion regardless of what the other physician recommended.

I'm on your team. I'm trying to help you and will recommend what I feel is in your best interest.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:19 PM

What the ear Dr. said!
In addition, ask both, about options to surgery and the benefits/drawbacks to all the options.
Make sure any decisions are made with evidence based medicine.

The vast majority of healthcare providers have your best interest in mind.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:05 PM

It's a lot like getting , say , new windows for your house ,,, get a bunch of estimates, and go with the cheapest.

Or, whatever Mrs. Wadcutter says.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:54 PM

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
I know that sounds like kind of a goofy question and maybe it is, but I was just wondering what my buds here at OM would have to say about it. I'm going in for a second opinion next week for a medical condition that could involve surgery. Nothing life threatening thank God, but serious enough for me to be curious enough to ask for a second opinion. My question relates to "tactics" so to speak. I was mulling it over and thought well maybe I shouldn't say anything to the second doc about the opinion of the first doc because that could possibly "taint" the opinion of the second doc, that he might possibly be influenced by the first diagnosis and treatment recommendation. Maybe the second doc wouldn't want to challenge the medical opinion of the first doc and would just go along to get along so to speak. The first doc is V.A., the second doc is outside the VA so he couldn't pull anything up on my unless I told him about my first visit to the V.A. and gave him my permission to access my V.A. medical records. Geez, all of the sudden I'm feeling kinda of sneaky about this. I don't know, what do you think? "Fess up or shut up?

If you don't trust the second surgeon enough to be honest with him or her, why are you seeking a second treatment option from a person you think might deceive you?

Best of luck with your medical issue....

Don
Old 04-22-2017, 04:49 AM

Lots of good advice here. With medicine, just like guitars, YMMV! Regardless of what study "A" (or Doctor A's opinion) shows, you eventually find study "B" that partially or wholly refutes it. Many of our surgical interventions don't work very well, work at a lower rate than we think, or even work for a time and then stop working. Skepticism is a good thing. Remember, this is an "opinion" - it's one of the reasons that we still refer to the medical trade as a "practice".

Now, here is a take-away phrase that you always need to ask. It cuts through all the BS, and you will always get a straight answer: "Doc, what would you recommend if this happened to you, or I was a member of your family?" (Which could be followed up by, "who would you go to?")

I once asked the first part of the question to an opthamologist who was recommending a new type of vision correcting surgery (RK, precursor to Lasik) and he paused, then said, "No." We all need a little head shrink every now and then.

Good luck with this!

Best,

Rick

Last edited by srick; 04-22-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchel674 View Post
I'm an ENT doctor so let me give you my perspective. I see many patients for a second opinion. I also encourage my patients to see a second opinion.

Personally, I prefer that my patients be up front with me from the start when I am taking their history. I tend to get a bit put off when patients withhold information like this is some sort of adversarial guessing game. You came to me with a medical problem, and I'm trying to help you. Any information you can give me could be important.

If another surgeon recommended a procedure. Tell me about it up front. I will give you my unbiased opinion regardless of what the other physician recommended.

I'm on your team. I'm trying to help you and will recommend what I feel is in your best interest.
Thanks Doc, after careful and thoughtful consideration, I think I will take your advice. And thanks to all you others who posted your opinions, really appreciate it.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Thanks Doc, after careful and thoughtful consideration, I think I will take your advice. And thanks to all you others who posted your opinions, really appreciate it.
You're welcome. Don't forget to ask the doctor if he/she plays guitar!
Old 04-22-2017, 07:25 PM

2nd opinion for sure but be careful they don't cut off both arms when the trouble is only with one. You're safe with a 3rd opinion because you only have two arms.

I'm getting ready to get a first opinion to take to a 2nd opinion as well. Lost use of my left thumb. Can't squeeze air. Had a heavy object gather up some gravity energy and bend the thumb in the opposite direction. I believe the tendon has separated. There's a big knot in the meaty part of the palm adjacent to the thumb where I think the tendon retreated after tearing off. Sheesh, gross sounding isn't it? Work related, it'll be covered, but I'm probably also looking at an invasive procedure. I need to get off my lazy shady and start the process and I certainly will get additional opinions if any uncertainty makes me.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchel674 View Post
You're welcome. Don't forget to ask the doctor if he/she plays guitar!
Funny you should mention that. My last Primary Care doctor was a HD28 owner as am I and we spent as much time talking guitars as we did about whatever medical issue I was in there for. Great doctor too.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-23-2017 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Political comment

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic