The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-18-2017, 01:13 PM

Default Octaver

Anyone use the TC Electroncs Subnup Octaver for acoustic guitar. I am checking out the octavers for some low end when playing out solo. I would love any input or recommendations on octavers for acoustic guitar.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 04-18-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Anyone use the TC Electroncs Subnup Octaver for acoustic guitar. I am checking out the octavers for some low end when playing out solo. I would love any input or recommendations on octavers for acoustic guitar.
I recently researched octavers for acoustic. I'd suggest the Boss OC-3, Pitchfork or (nano) POG if you can afford it. The OC-3 has a direct out and a LPF that most others don't, best feature set for your money. Maybe the best solution (more money) for what you are talking about is a POG (with direct out) and a separate LPF (Azure Skies on Talkbass for example).
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
I recently researched octavers for acoustic. I'd suggest the Boss OC-3, Pitchfork or (nano) POG if you can afford it. The OC-3 has a direct out and a LPF that most others don't, best feature set for your money. Maybe the best solution (more money) for what you are talking about is a POG (with direct out) and a separate LPF (Azure Skies on Talkbass for example).
I own an OC-3. I love using octaves on electric leads. I haven't used one on acoustic guitar though. The only thing I don't like about the OC-3 is the octaves are below the note -- not above. So if you play an open note on G string, you also get a note an octave below - not above that note. I'd like to have a unit that could give me octaves above or below the note - or both.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:46 PM

I researched this about 2 years ago because A Little Thunder was released for the electric guitar. It's a remarkable piece of invention mostly due to their low-mode-priority technology and they once mentioned that they were working on an acoustic pickup but there's been no news since. They do however have an acoustic mounting ring for the current humbucker product. I half suspect the best octave-down solution out there is to mount the humbucker, only wire the bass signal out to one port, and then output your own normal acoustic guitar pickup through another port. Or you can output both to one stereo port and use a stereo split cable. Definitely not ideal, and I don't think I'd personally do it until a more complete solution comes out, which will probably take many more years
Old 05-25-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
I researched this about 2 years ago because A Little Thunder was released for the electric guitar. It's a remarkable piece of invention mostly due to their low-mode-priority technology and they once mentioned that they were working on an acoustic pickup but there's been no news since. They do however have an acoustic mounting ring for the current humbucker product. I half suspect the best octave-down solution out there is to mount the humbucker, only wire the bass signal out to one port, and then output your own normal acoustic guitar pickup through another port. Or you can output both to one stereo port and use a stereo split cable. Definitely not ideal, and I don't think I'd personally do it until a more complete solution comes out, which will probably take many more years
I installed "A Little Thunder" in my Godin A6 Ultra about a year ago. I have it setup so that the bass and piezo is output through the piezo TRS jack, with the mag jack for the guitar signal.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:23 PM

Jon Gomm calls his Boss OC-3 "the World's most boring bass player - also, the World's most reliable bass player, which is quite nice":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4ECPsHpI_Q
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-26-2017, 03:45 AM

Default EBS

Also try the pedal from EBS. I don't have their Octave pedal but their Microbass II DI pedal works really well with my other instruments that are not basses. So far I'm happy with what I have in the Helix, but I had thought about picking up a small Octave pedal for a smaller setup. The EBS and the smaller EHX POG caught my attention. I have tried the POG, a really great sound from that one.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:06 AM

I have the OC-3 Boss. Pedal to thicken my alternating bass lines. I have not gigged with it. I have played around with it and even set it up to run the octave lower signal through its own chain using my wife's zoom bass pedal then into her bass amp. TBH it didn't seem worth running a separate chain. Perhaps if it was a real awesome bass amp. But I was getting better sound out through just the PA.

I still have to experiment more with it to get the sound I want but it seems promising.

Although just boosting the Bass a bit on my Tak gives me plenty of drive. I'm sure I'll find the sweet spot on it that gives me what I'm after.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:26 AM

I just bought a POG Nano and played it last night for two 45-minute sets through a PA with 8" waveguide tops and 18" subs. It was incredible to hear the thunderous bass. The sound guy ran my effect out to a bass modeler, with the dry out going through the rest of my effects.

I'd tried it at home through a smaller rig: Kustom PA50 over top of a 12" sub and with the sub octave at about 12 o'clock and the dry all the way up, it added the bass I was looking for.

It was over $200, but it does track well. The sound guy at last night's gig has been in the business for awhile and even he was impressed with how well the POG tracked and sounded with an acoustic electric guitar.

I had tried the POG with a few electric guitars and to my ears, it gives better sub octave tones with an acoustic (electric).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification