The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-08-2017, 12:57 PM

Default What's the title of this nice piece played by Molly Tuttle?

Hello everyone,

Other than Tony Rice I don't know much about traditional music and was hoping you could tell me what the title of the following piece is:

https://youtu.be/KM4X0TL_gYY

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:52 AM

I don't know but it sounds stereo-typical of the genre so it might be a piece she wrote. Try to look up her music. You might stumble across it by name.

On another note, to each his/her own but her right hand technique bugs me for some reason. It looks totally awkward, like how some people grasp a writing instrument.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:08 AM

That would be "Seneca Square Dance". Its a staple in the old time repertoire and sometimes called "Waiting For The Federals". Its last famous appearance was the main dance tune in the movie "The Long Riders"
Old 04-09-2017, 10:56 AM

Advice for all, add the app "Shazam" to your cell phone. It is amazing. I've tried to stump it with obscure music playing on our local college radio station and it always gets it right. One of the cool features is it creates a list if songs you asked about so you can later buy it or play it for others.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 04-09-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
On another note, to each his/her own but her right hand technique bugs me for some reason. It looks totally awkward, like how some people grasp a writing instrument.
Visually speaking her right hand technique isn't my favourite either -- but she's a good player which is what matters IMHO.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
That would be "Seneca Square Dance". Its a staple in the old time repertoire and sometimes called "Waiting For The Federals". Its last famous appearance was the main dance tune in the movie "The Long Riders"
Thanks so much!
Old 04-09-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
Advice for all, add the app "Shazam" to your cell phone. It is amazing. I've tried to stump it with obscure music playing on our local college radio station and it always gets it right. One of the cool features is it creates a list if songs you asked about so you can later buy it or play it for others.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-09-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I don't know but it sounds stereo-typical of the genre so it might be a piece she wrote. Try to look up her music. You might stumble across it by name.

She seems to be holding the pick properly but it is her wrist that looks odd. Most keep it straighter and don't pivot so much from the wrist joint. Wonder if she ever had an injury that necessitates it? Can't complain about she does with it, just looks different.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
...On another note, to each his/her own but her right hand technique bugs me for some reason. It looks totally awkward, like how some people grasp a writing instrument.
I'm not a banjo player, but one of my bluegrass picker friends told me what she does is claw-hammer guitar. Saw her at Wintergrass. She is a great performer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write