The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-08-2017, 09:47 AM

Default A Dichotomy

When I logged on I saw 17 people were viewing the PLAY sub-forum where actual playing is discussed, and 239 were viewing the GENERAL sub-forum where guitar strings and bridge pins and similar matters are asked about.

If you didn't know and had to guess, wouldn't you have expected just the reverse?
Old 04-08-2017, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinning Boy View Post
When I logged on I saw 17 people were viewing the PLAY sub-forum where actual playing is discussed, and 239 were viewing the GENERAL sub-forum where guitar strings and bridge pins and similar matters are asked about.

If you didn't know and had to guess, wouldn't you have expected just the reverse?
Ha! Nice one.

Here s another possible perspective - those who are spending their time PLAYING may not be logged in at all. If they were, they would be viewing the PLAY section.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-08-2017, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

You are what you own.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-08-2017, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
You are what you own.
Hi, my name is Martin Taylor. (what a great name, though he apparently doesn't own either brand of guitar).

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-08-2017, 10:46 AM

Folks seem to like to talk a whole lot more about guitars rather than how to play them.

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo
Old 04-08-2017, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaMom View Post
Folks seem to like to talk a whole lot more about guitars rather than how to play them.
Here is a remedy for that - if folks SANG about the guitars as the played them, then both would happen at the same time.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-08-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Here is a remedy for that - if folks SANG about the guitars as the played them, then both would happen at the same time.

Tony
Clever way to recruit General forum folks over here!

Old 04-08-2017, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

So I sit down and play an hour or two set. I take a break and I check into the forum and somehow it comes into question. Projections and presumptions will be the end of mankind.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-08-2017, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
So I sit down and play an hour or two set. I take a break and I check into the forum and somehow it comes into question. Projections and presumptions will be the end of mankind.
There is another reason I hadn't thought of, though I did suggest to the OP that maybe those folks who would otherwise check the Play section, just might actually be playing their instruments.

Some of the really good players such as Sungha Jung don't seem to hang out in forums at all. Maybe that is why he has gotten so much farther, so much faster than I have.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-08-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:

You will find the majority of musical instrument ownership all about romancing the instrument rather than its purpose. It was my biggest disappointment back in 2004 when I joined a forum only to learn this. I'm still disappointed that nothing has changed but people do get all gooey about their instruments. I never did. By 2004 I was a fairly capable player seeking to find some online camaraderie but found mostly ho-daddies instead.

It's like cars, only a lot less rewarding because anyone can drive a car.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
You will find the majority of musical instrument ownership all about romancing the instrument rather than its purpose. It was my biggest disappointment back in 2004 when I joined a forum only to learn this. I'm still disappointed that nothing has changed but people do get all gooey about their instruments. I never did. By 2004 I was a fairly capable player seeking to find some online camaraderie but found mostly ho-daddies instead.

It's like cars, only a lot less rewarding because anyone can drive a car.
I think a good way to find this online camaraderie would be to have threads where we essentially play for each other and the discussion is focused on that. This is a bit different from the "Show and Tell", because in these threads in the Play section, we can show work in progress and share ideas on making what we are doing, better. Video cameras are cheap and many folks have fancy phones that can easily make videos of their owners playing. There is really no reason to avoid sharing our music with each other in such threads, if that is what folks want to do. Some of us are attempting to get that going here now.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-08-2017, 04:08 PM

I really like the idea of an online playing camaraderie. And I wasn't being judgemental with starting this thread. I spend a lot of time in the GENERAL section myself! I'm just always surprised by the difference in number of readers between there and here.

By the way Tony that new fretboard harmony book looks really interesting. I am going to really take a close look.

But right now I have to put on my other guitar hat as our classic rock band has a bar gig tonight! I'll be on the couch all day tomorrow!
Paul
Old 04-08-2017, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I really like the idea of an online playing camaraderie. And I wasn't being judgemental with starting this thread. I spend a lot of time in the GENERAL section myself! I'm just always surprised by the difference in number of readers between there and here.

By the way Tony that new fretboard harmony book looks really interesting. I am going to really take a close look.

But right now I have to put on my other guitar hat as our classic rock band has a bar gig tonight! I'll be on the couch all day tomorrow!
Paul
Enjoy the gig! It has been a couple of weeks since I last played out.

If you decide to get the book, we should establish email contact and become "jogging buddies" as we work through it. As you have mentioned, we are pretty much on the same (or similar) path.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-08-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:

Paul
Paul, just the thought of playing a bar gig wears me out! Have fun.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I really like the idea of an online playing camaraderie. And I wasn't being judgemental with starting this thread. I spend a lot of time in the GENERAL section myself! I'm just always surprised by the difference in number of readers between there and here...
Paul
I met a fellow AGFer face to face one time, and he mentioned the same kind of thing. I almost spewed out my coffee when he went on to comment, "Of course, why would I want to visit Play? I already know how."
Quote:
PLAY (18 Viewing)
Lessons, Tips, and Techniques
cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write