The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-06-2017, 06:26 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Default Do any of you have a drying kiln?

I took my son to his open house at RIT. At the main entrance
there are 2 large trees ( Oak? Elm?). They had very high winds a few weeks back and one of the trees looked like it exploded. Well I gathered up a few prices, brought them home and cut them as close to quartersawn as I could.
One peice is maybe 2x4x6", the other around 2x4x12"
I have the ends painted with waterproof Titebond. My plan is to make him a few RIT pens and maybe a head plate for a Uke I am thinking of building.
Air drying he will graduate College first!
Do you have a kiln or do you know a place I can get these two small prices kiln dried? I'm in SWPA but happy to mail anywhere lower 48 to get this done. Google failed me.
I would appreciate any direction you could give me.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:14 AM

I would search for local custom furniture builders.

The chances are good that at least some of them will have a dehumidifying set-up, which is not technically a kiln as used by timber merchants, but does the job. http://www.ebacusa.com/lumber_dryers/LD800.html

I think I would rip these pieces down to 1" (at least) in order to facilitate the drying.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:58 AM

Any large local sawmill or commercial rough lumber supplier should have a kiln.

I see your are actually in PA so check with Lafferty in Lemoyne. They had a fire there the other year But I know they had a large kiln prior to that and they are still in business.http://laffertylumber.com/index.html
Old 04-07-2017, 07:59 AM

For something that small I wonder if you could just whip up a little solar kiln?
Old 04-07-2017, 08:05 AM

Any reason you cant just sticker it up and leave it to air dry for a couple years?

Anyway... Poke around locally for urban sawyers with portable mills. Many of those guys know who has the kilns in your area. Some of them even have their own kilns.

Check with tree service guys - they generally know who has the small mills and stuff like this.

Woodmizer maintains a list of sawyers who own their saws and cut for mon. They share this info on their website.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:17 AM

I have no clue what an RIT pen is, but for pen blanks and peghead veneers, I would just resaw the wood close to the final size, sticker it, and put a fan on it. It should dry in less than a month. Weigh the wood periodically on a gram scale. When it stops getting lighter, it is dry.
You can also put the wood in an oven on low heat.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:05 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
Any reason you cant just sticker it up and leave it to air dry for a couple years?

Anyway... Poke around locally for urban sawyers with portable mills. Many of those guys know who has the kilns in your area. Some of them even have their own kilns.

Check with tree service guys - they generally know who has the small mills and stuff like this.

Woodmizer maintains a list of sawyers who own their saws and cut for mon. They share this info on their website.
Ya, he will graduate before it air dries. I'll try a furniture builde
Old 04-07-2017, 09:07 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
I have no clue what an RIT pen is, but for pen blanks and peghead veneers, I would just resaw the wood close to the final size, sticker it, and put a fan on it. It should dry in less than a month. Weigh the wood periodically on a gram scale. When it stops getting lighter, it is dry.
You can also put the wood in an oven on low heat.
Rochester Institute of Technology. The wood I will use has meaning to him attending
Old 04-07-2017, 05:47 PM

I agree with what John said, not that he needs anyone to second his advice. I wish I knew a tenth of what he knows about wood.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair