The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-05-2017, 09:11 PM

Default Silly question asked in a confusing way.....

So I am relatively new to Travis picking. I was noodling around tonight and had a bit of an epiphany on what could best be described as a very, very basic concept.

As I would retain any chord shape and walk up or down the fretboard using the same picking pattern it sounded very cool. Obviously retaining the same shape would have the root note on whatever string it was originally on so I could just pick the same 4 strings. For instance, with an a minor shape I was squeezing 5th and 2nd string and then picking "inside out". If I was using an e major shape and walking up and down the neck I would squeeze 6th and 3rd string and then work my way inside out. It sounded great! A revelation. Lol

Am I being goofy here or is this pretty standard stuff?
Old 04-05-2017, 10:14 PM

I don't know anything about Travis picking standard practices, but moving chord shapes up and down the neck as you describe is pretty common.

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources
Old 04-05-2017, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

That is correct though using the same four note fingering pattern up and down the neck is somewhat limited in an actual song as you won't remain in one key for long.
For example on the Dmaj7 you use a different pattern

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-06-2017, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponserv View Post
So I am relatively new to Travis picking. I was noodling around tonight and had a bit of an epiphany on what could best be described as a very, very basic concept.

As I would retain any chord shape and walk up or down the fretboard using the same picking pattern it sounded very cool. Obviously retaining the same shape would have the root note on whatever string it was originally on so I could just pick the same 4 strings. For instance, with an a minor shape I was squeezing 5th and 2nd string and then picking "inside out". If I was using an e major shape and walking up and down the neck I would squeeze 6th and 3rd string and then work my way inside out. It sounded great! A revelation. Lol

Here you go - a demo of that principle by the master (with a G shape):
Old 04-06-2017, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponserv View Post

I love, live and breathe movable chords on guitar.

It's the best thing next to sliced bread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 04-06-2017, 06:31 AM

Playing mostly fingerstyle jazz, you get well familiar with the idea of using chord "shapes" that are moveable all over the place.
This is a "Major 7th " form, this is a "diminished" form... Etc. Most of these are "closed" 4-5 finger jobs.... If there are any open strings, you just damp them out.

Occasionally, you'll find a fom that works with an open string in certain positons.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:06 PM

Cool.Thanks for chiming in folks. Having a blast with this right now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write