The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-02-2017, 05:33 PM

Thumbs up NGD: Just traded my Gibson SG for an Ibanez SS300-DVS! (my first Jazz Box)

I had put my Gibson SG Standard for sale on Kijiji but I wasn't getting much attention, low-ball offers and crappy trade proposals, etc... I was just getting ready to yank the ad when all of a sudden yesterday a guy emailed me asking if I would be interested in trading my SG for his Ibanez SS300.

At first I thought, what's an Ibanez SS300 anyway? I figured that it would be some less than stellar deal that I was being offered. So I did a Google search and came up with this review by Tom Quayle:
https://www.guitarinteractivemagazin...j300_reviewmp4

He does a review on the SS300 first, then finishes with it's slightly larger bodied big brother the SJ300.

I was floored by what I was seeing in that video. It's like, yeah, lets get busy with that trade!

I read really positive comments on these two guitars on various Jazz forums online, so I thought that it would be something that I'd like to add to my stable.

The guy with the Ibanez lived about an hour away so I said that I could meet him halfway and that's what we did. I met the guy this afternoon outside of a McDonald's, his guitar was basically in mint condition, and so was mine too.

During our first couple of emails back and forth yesterday, he said that his guitar retailed new for about $500.00 more than a new SG (here in Canada), I checked it out and he was right. So he was kind of looking to even out the trade with me paying him $200.00 cash. I said that I was tapped out but had an old Flanger pedal for sale and he could have that if he liked, he said that he had no use for a Flanger. So that was that. I didn't expect to hear back from him but lo and behold, I got an email today saying that he could probably use the Flanger as a Leslie effect, so we were on again.

The Flanger only cost me $60.00 second hand, so that was no big deal. And luckily, I bought the SG used for $750.00 CDN, for a combined total of $608.00 USD

I was totally happy with that deal. When he opened up the case, I was pretty stoked, what a beauty!

I was a bit surprised that this guitar was built in China rather than in Japan but my goodness, the Chinese are building some pretty scary good stuff by looking at this guitar!

I've heard less than flattering comments about MIC guitars but Ibanez sure is doing something right because this thing is soooo beautiful, and with a sound to match. They didn't cheap out with materials either:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBASS300

This is my first Jazz box, too bad I don't play Jazz but it's great all the same.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:06 PM

Congratulations! Beautiful guitar. Enjoy your new axe!
Old 04-03-2017, 07:11 AM

Thumbs up

Hey thanks Livingston! She is a real stunner! But not just a looker, it sounds pretty amazing too.

Somehow I ended up double posting this, not sure how that happened.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops