The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-02-2017, 11:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Learn by Doing......1/2 day vintage guitar repair workshops for AGF members

My new workshop location has the physical space for me to offer mini-workshops for folks interested in learning more about vintage guitar repair. My vintage guitar repair experience has focused on factory-built, American-made acoustic guitars made later than 1880 but prior to 1970 so that’s the perspective I’ll be coming from. You can bring your own guitar to work on or take advantage of the many vintage “in the rough” instruments I have in the shop to practice on.

You set the agenda...

Each session is 100% hands-on training where you learn by doing instead of just watching me. Participants choose the area of focus/interest, which can be any aspect of acoustic guitar repair. If you bring your own guitar to work on, you will be doing the work and I will guide you through the various steps to get you where you need to go.

No more than one person will be booked per 3-hour block. This means you get 100% attention while you're there. Once your registration is confirmed, we will work together on your agenda before you arrive so that I’m prepared for your session and we can start right in.

Basic things to know...

WHO can participate: Open to all Acoustic Guitar Forum members

HOW: Participation will be by advance registration only. Confirmations will be issued on a first come-first serve basis. Walk-ins and/or unregistered guests are not allowed in the shop.

WHERE: My shop at 312 North Street, Chester, Vermont

WHEN: Every Friday between April 28th and June 2nd, 2017. Workshops will be offered in 3-hour blocks. Morning session runs from 9am-12noon. Afternoon session runs from 1pm to 4pm.

COST: $60 per 3-hour block (1/2 day) or $100 per 6-hour block (full day), payable prior to the start of your workshop

FINE PRINT: My shop is tobacco, substance and alcohol free. Food, beverage, lodging and transportation is the responsibility of each participant. Eye, ear and breathing protection will be provided and worn.

CONTACT: Email me at [email protected] with questions or to reserve a date/time for your vintage guitar repair workshop
Old 04-02-2017, 08:03 PM

Sounds like a great way to spend a day, wish I lived closer. Good luck Steve
Travis
Old 04-04-2017, 09:57 AM

Hi Steve. That's a nice opportunity, and I'd be all over it, but for distance. Until a year ago, I had become friends with a luthier who would show me the ins and outs of repairs he made on my guitars, and I came to know what would be involved and the likely cost of repair to any of my herd. One on one with someone of your experience is an opportunity for those not determined to enroll in a luthier school. I have a couple of your parlors, and they are the sweetest sounding guitars.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:09 AM

Wow, this sounds great. I work on my on guitars often and certainly could use help like this. I travel to Vermont every couple of months for work and might take you up on the offer someday. Reasonably price and shop rules make sense, but must be hard sometimes with all the great craft beer up there.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:24 PM

I'mma start looking at flights to Vermont. This is a thing I'd love to go to, since I'm the type of guy who learns best from being shown rather than told.
Dr. Pepper Acoustic - Current Luthier Project
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster
Ovation Viper (electric, not acoustic)
Framus Strato Star Bass
Rogue Lap Steel

Past:
2007 Gibson J-50
Old 04-11-2017, 08:38 AM

Man... Oh how I would love to head on up to Vermont to get some tutoring on resetting a neck on my old Lakeside parlor...

That would be just the thing.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Guys,
This promises to be a fun adventure where we all might learn something along the way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair