The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-01-2017, 02:51 PM

Default It's making sense...the fretboard, I mean

Finally, after what seems like forever, I am getting to know my way around the fretboard. Many thanks to tbeltrans for helping me with this. I've posted here before (more than once) about how the fretboard seemed to me to be a random scramble of letters (notes). I knew there were patterns, but I couldn't identify them, let alone understad how to use them as way-finders. Well, now I can find any chord on the fretboard. I don't know where the most useful ones are "by heart" yet, but that will come. I also understand how some versions of a chord just aren't very practical (awkward fingering, etc.), but the point is that I can find them. WaHoo!

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo
Old 04-01-2017, 04:08 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Here's a interesting website you may enjoy. I play around with the E pentatonic scales.

http://www.freeguitarsource.com/Blue...ues_Scale.html

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-01-2017, 06:08 PM

Stay with it. Like it or not you will become a victim of learning as I did.

I was a very late bloomer where fretboard knowledge was concerned because I could not fathom the value of it. I had it down 2nd nature by ear and no one was going to be able to take that away or task me on it. To know that the high E string 1st fret was the F note was meaningless information to this soloist.

And...

It still is.

But, I can name the notes now and it was through learning the chord shapes that made learning notes the easiest method for me, though I was not consciously trying to learn them. It just sort of came from years of placing the chords that the notes comprising them kinda crept into my head. I guess it became harder not to learn them after a while despite my desire to keep some artistic mystery going in my life.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:33 AM

That's been happening for me too. It will probably sound stupid, but I was amazed to realize that I could form a chord, D shape is a good one, and then move it up by frets according to intervals, and come up with chords that fit the key, in the same D shape. D, whole step (2frets) up to E, whole step to F#,half step (1 fret) to G, whole step to A, whole step to B.

So then I can play a DGA (I IV V), song, even add the II or Vi and just flatten the 3rd to make them E minor or B minor. The different voicings give the song an entirely different feel or mood. The possibilities are endless!
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 04-02-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
That's been happening for me too. It will probably sound stupid, but I was amazed to realize that I could form a chord, D shape is a good one, and then move it up by frets according to intervals, and come up with chords that fit the key, in the same D shape. D, whole step (2frets) up to E, whole step to F#,half step (1 fret) to G, whole step to A, whole step to B.

So then I can play a DGA (I IV V), song, even add the II or Vi and just flatten the 3rd to make them E minor or B minor. The different voicings give the song an entirely different feel or mood. The possibilities are endless!
Exactly! I'm glad I'm not the only one for whom it wasn't immediately obvious!

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write