The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-30-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey#1 View Post
The G chord that Susan Mazer shows in her book/dvd shows the 3rd finger on the 1st string, 3rd fret. She refers to that as the G chord. So.......do I assume she is correct?
Instead of 2-1-3 you can also use 3-2-4. Same chord. Whichever you use depends on your comfort and the chord before and the chord after, so your transitions are easy. That's the basic beginner's G chord. As you progress you'll also discover barre chords which let you move up and down the neck to different chords without moving the fingers.

Alvarez Yairi 5065
Fender 50th Anniv MIJ Telecaster
Old 03-31-2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey#1 View Post
First let me say I am an absolute beginner so this might seem like a dumb question. But........

I have a book/dvd that gives one version of the G chord and I am seeing YouTube videos that give a different G chord. The difference is significant too.

Why? How do I know which one is the correct G chord?

r/Mike
A G chord is nothing more than the G, B, and D notes played together (the root, the major third and a perfect fifth). And of course there are plenty of ways to play those together on a guitar. If the bass note is not the root, you'll call the chord G/B or G/D for example. You'll make greater progress by trying to learn how chords works and how they are related to scales, rather than just learning their different shapes. There are plenty of ways to build your own G shape, depending on your needs.
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 03-31-2017, 11:42 PM

Q: How many AGF'ers does it take to explain how to play a G chord?

A: A metric ****-ton.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write