The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-26-2017, 02:14 PM

Default Need video and audio expertise

The venue my six piece acoustic band (electric bass) is playing in a couple weeks is suppose to have very good sound (great PA and pro sound guy). I have rented a Canon AX-10 a sturdy tripod and a Zoom H4n for the occasion, and I'd like a few suggestions on how to get the best set-it-and-forget-it video (no video person available).

My thoughts are to put the video camera on the tripod in the center of the 30'x60' room about 3/4 of the way back, and put the audio recorder about 6' back from the center of the stage. Then I'll "process" the audio in Reaper and copy it into Final Cut Pro with the video.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2017, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

If you've got a great sound guy I'd suggest plugging the Zoom into the soundboard. The live mix is a bit different than the mix you would use for recording but I would think the results would be much better than trying to record the sound in the room.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 02-26-2017, 03:56 PM

Hmmm... I hadn't thought about that. You may be right. The video recorder's sound isn't awful and combining it with the board's sound may be a good way to go. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2017, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

As per Mr Paul go directly into the sound board if that is an option.
And most likely you won't want to use the camera audio at all. Because that far back in room the sound will in fact not be good and full of audience noise.
With the Zoom you will only be able to get stereo master feed off the board and not the individual channels but the board will be much better sound than the camera

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 02-27-2017, 12:50 AM

What everyone said above....I learned this the last week.

I posted a song with just the camera SONY AX53 to YOUTUBE last week & was a little disappointed in the sound quality....

A couple guys here suggested I go direct into my TASCAM DP 24, similar in many ways to what they are telling you, and it is like night and day....I just posted a live version of me in 'THE KAVE" in Show & Tell....

It is a HUGE difference sonically

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 02-27-2017, 08:28 AM

Assuming everything is plugged into the soundboard, recording it would be the way to go - however if your bass player is playing through an amp (that is miked or DIed to the board), that will be low in the SB mix., some selective bass boosting in Reaper might help that.
If you are going to edit the video down to individual songs, then its no big deal, but if you are going to make one long 'live' video, there will be little audience sound from the SB audio- this may be where you will want to mix in a little of the camera's audio.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-27-2017, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

One thing to keep in mind if you plug into the soundboard is that some boards will have rca outs where a standard stereo rca-> mini plug cord will work fine. Some boards don't have the rca outs available though and you may need to do something else, most likely getting from two 1/4" outs to the stereo 1/8" mini plug you need to go into your zoom line in. It's worth a call to the sound guy in advance to make sure you'll have the cords you need.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 02-27-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
One thing to keep in mind if you plug into the soundboard is that some boards will have rca outs where a standard stereo rca-> mini plug cord will work fine. Some boards don't have the rca outs available though and you may need to do something else, most likely getting from two 1/4" outs to the stereo 1/8" mini plug you need to go into your zoom line in. It's worth a call to the sound guy in advance to make sure you'll have the cords you need.
Very good detail... thank you.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:31 AM

My old VCR recorder had RCA inputs for sound. I went direct, from the soundboard to the video recorder, bypassing the recorder's mic and eliminating "aux" recorder altogether. Does your video recorder have this option? It gave me much cleaner audio than the in-room mics or the recorder mic, and most important, it was already synced (post-processing sync can be a major pain...).
Old 02-27-2017, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
My old VCR recorder had RCA inputs for sound. I went direct, from the soundboard to the video recorder, bypassing the recorder's mic and eliminating "aux" recorder altogether. Does your video recorder have this option? It gave me much cleaner audio than the in-room mics or the recorder mic, and most important, it was already synced (post-processing sync can be a major pain...).
I never considered this as my video cameras have never had a line in option. Looking at the specs for this pro Canon, I see

•(2) XLR Audio Input (when handle is ATTACHED)

If you can go directly from the board to the camera that does make this process much much easier, depending on the location of soundboard ... sometimes it's in a prime location to set your camera, other times it's in the worst possible location. If the soundboard is in a prime spot, I would suggest talking to the folks renting you the camera to talk about audio options. XLR from board to camera would give you fabulous results.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 02-27-2017, 11:05 AM

Indeed the Canon AX10 does have XLR inputs, though I've decided to go ahead and let it capture the room sounds. I'll use a Zoom H4n to the get the feed from the board.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
Indeed the Canon AX10 does have XLR inputs, though I've decided to go ahead and let it capture the room sounds. I'll use a Zoom H4n to the get the feed from the board.
That's smart - in my experience playing & recording live shows, board recordings never sound great. When an engineer mixes for the room it usually sounds only "ok" as a recording.

Adding some room recording to the sound board will likely bring life back into the board feed.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 02-27-2017, 05:08 PM

Just did some info surfing and I'm glad I took the time... apparently hooking the tape or aux outputs of a typical mixer to the XLR inputs of a Zoom H4n is not a great idea without using a pad!

So I've ordered a couple -20dB XLR pads.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:22 PM

for future reference, i like to keep a couple of these around: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A21Z5WJQSGVB69

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 03-02-2017, 02:33 PM

Once you've hit record on the audio and video make sure you have some kind of "clap" noise (like this).

It will help when you go to align the video and external audio in post.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD