The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-08-2017, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstegeman View Post
I agree with that - I find if I try to actually think about the pattern and what it should be, it doesn't work, but if I feel the rhythm, the strumming comes naturally. If someone asks me how to play a certain strumming pattern, I have to actually stop and pay attention to what I'm doing, because most of the time, my brain doesn't really know, it just happens.
cant embed times so click to 10:00 in this video

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 01-12-2017, 10:22 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies. Many useful tips.

I had an hour lesson Tuesday with a teacher I know to have him evaluate my playing at this stage. He feels that 180BPM is a pretty fast tempo for a beginner, and that I'm playing it well at 140. He assures me speed will come up naturally as I go through Justin's intermediate course.

Again, thanks everyone!
Old 01-17-2017, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

I'm where you are in terms of 1/8 note strumming speed. With a thin pick, I can get to 150 bpm playing a I-IV-V7 progression but seem stuck there. It's not a deal killer at all because I primarily Fingerstyle and flatpick so I don't need that kind of 1/8 note speed often at all. But I do want the ability throw in a fast 1/8 note or 1/16 note fill/riff in my music in the future.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 01-17-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
One of my (two) guitar mentors once said to me:

"you guys need to stop trying to figure out the up-down-up strum patterns and just *FEEL* the music".......

That one line changed my world as a guitar player.

I think it applies here as well.
Agreed. I spent a good chunk of 2016 focusing on nothing but rhythm. I counted out loud over everything I played (1 e + a 2 e.....) and drove my wife cr@zy. Not only that, I'd count and tap out rhythms with my hands whenever I was somewhere without my guitar. Boy did it pay off!

It's so difficult to put it into words, and as you say, you just have to feel the music/beat and try not to think about it. But to get there I had to do a lot of practice. It tidied up everything I played and made singing over playing much much easier.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob
I'm where you are in terms of 1/8 note strumming speed. With a thin pick, I can get to 150 bpm playing a I-IV-V7 progression but seem stuck there. It's not a deal killer at all because I primarily Fingerstyle and flatpick so I don't need that kind of 1/8 note speed often at all. But I do want the ability throw in a fast 1/8 note or 1/16 note fill/riff in my music in the future.
It's good to know I'm not the only one with this problem. The teacher assured me I'm where I should be for the time I've been playing, so I'm not going to stress about it anymore. I'll keep practicing, and the speed will come up naturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0cks View Post
It's so difficult to put it into words, and as you say, you just have to feel the music/beat and try not to think about it.
Bad Moon Rising has such a distinctive rhythm. I'm not having any trouble feeling the rhythm, just playing the rhythm as fast as the video recording. My whole being feels the rhythm at 180BPM, except my right arm, which feels it at 140.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write